The Road to Qatar.

Binky

33 minutes ago, narduch said:

Sure byes can be expected, especially with odd team numbers and a wide level of teams.

However this format still sucks because thencut off for the bye is arbitrary.

The real reason is they want to finish the Nations League Final 4 so they needed to free up Honduras.

There is an argument to be made that byes make the overall competition more fair.  For teams trying to make the octagonal it means they don't have to worry about having to beat Mexico to make the final round.  Instead, they only have to beat El Salvador, Curacao, or those maple syrup guzzlers from the Arctic.

Does anyone really believe that these qualification formats will go on without massive disruptions?

i really think they will have to be drastically scaled down - something like automatic WC placement for top 2 seeds and a mini tourney amongst the next 4 etc..sounds ridiculous but there is no way that these drawn out formats can be executed in the next year IMO

Edited by Floortom

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Does anyone really believe that these qualification formats will go on without massive disruptions?

i really think they will have to be drastically scaled down - something like automatic WC placement for top 2 seeds and a mini tourney amongst the next 4 etc..sounds ridiculous but there is no way that these drawn out formats can be executed in the next year IMO

Personally I think there is only a 10% chance this happens as announced. 

23 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not sure what folks are arguing re the flu.  Annual flu deaths in the US are estimated to be around 35,000.  The US death count due to COVID is 150,000 so far.  And I am using US numbers because large swathes of the population have ignored social distancing and masking policies so they approximate a "control" group with relatively weak interventions and public health restrictions.  Common sense says that makes COVID significantly more dangerous.  Whether it is due to the fatality rate or the transmission rate, the reality is that it has led to a substantially higher number of fatalities this year.  Throw in the emerging evidence of long term health impacts from COVID, and it seems silly to downplay the threat of COVID prior to the development of a vaccine.     

You are referring to case fatality rates.

Infection fatality rates based on serology studies are in line with the seasonal flu. 

Case fatality rates are also inflated in some US States. The Illinois Health Director said in a press conference that any dead person with Covid-19 is counted as a case fatality, even if they were techniclly killed in a car crash:

“I just want to be clear in terms of the definition of people dying of COVID,” said Dr. Ezike. “So, the case definition is very simplistic. It means at the time of death, it was a COVID-positive diagnosis. So that means that if you were in hospice and had already been given a few weeks to live and then you also were found to have COVID, that would be counted as a COVID death. It means that, technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it’s still listed as a COVID death. So, everyone who is listed as a COVID death doesn’t mean that that was the cause of the death, but they had COVID at the time of death. I hope that’s helpful.”

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

You are referring to case fatality rates.

Infection fatality rates based on serology studies are in line with the seasonal flu. 

Case fatality rates are also inflated in some US States. The Illinois Health Director said in a press conference that any dead person with Covid-19 is counted as a case fatality, even if they were killed in a car crash:

“I just want to be clear in terms of the definition of people dying of COVID,” said Dr. Ezike. “So, the case definition is very simplistic. It means at the time of death, it was a COVID-positive diagnosis. So that means that if you were in hospice and had already been given a few weeks to live and then you also were found to have COVID, that would be counted as a COVID death. It means that, technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it’s still listed as a COVID death. So, everyone who is listed as a COVID death doesn’t mean that that was the cause of the death, but they had COVID at the time of death. I hope that’s helpful.”

If you think the numbers are significantly skewed by COVID positive car crash victims I don’t think we are using the same standards of evidence.  I am also suspect if a single US official’s views being deemed persuasive when they have clearly allowed politics to sway their views on COVID. 

It’s really one of the only viable ways to get to a final 8 in the windows that are available.

Our Group 1b will be a walk through where we probably beat all the teams by 3+ goals.

Then a 1 on 1 match vs Haiti.  I think we will win a 2 game aggregate.

The 8 team home and away round 3 is pretty exciting.  It’s really the best thing we could get- a straight match where the top 4 teams move on.  

I’m not seeing a lot of downside for us.

Horrible format. If you want a final 8 let’s make it even and have straight knockout with 32 teams down to 16 down to 8 (seeded so the top teams do have it easier at least) 

Also why are there so many Match days? Final round should be 2 groups of 4 with the 2nd place teams playing a playoff. You’ll reduce 6-8 games each

• Admin locked this topic