OneSoccer

Foreen

3 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

What's up with the schedule on Onesoccer, Wednesday games are showing on Thursday etc.  Do I have a settings issue?

It is likely they are reading your location wrong.

My settings give me automatic continental Europe time---though they erred the HFX home opener by two hours, for some dumb reason (I thought first they did not know what Atlantic time was, but that is only one hour off Eastern).

I see they are not showing Blainville live, just the games from Vaughn and Spruce Meadows.

5 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

What's up with the schedule on Onesoccer, Wednesday games are showing on Thursday etc.  Do I have a settings issue?

I'm seeing the same thing. I'm in the Eastern time zone which is UTC -5:00. It seems like the schedule is based on the UTC day, so a game at 7pm Eastern, is at 12:00am UTC the next day, and as a result, it shows up on the following day's schedule.

They should probably get on fixing that.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I see they are not showing Blainville live, just the games from Vaughn and Spruce Meadows.

OneSoccer confirmed on twitter that you can indeed watch both games live. You could actually watch both at the same time if you open one of the games in a new window/tab. 

You know what?  It's actually kinda fun watching this league and the all the things associated with it bumble and stumble and figure it all out as they get on with it.  Venue logistics, the clubs themselves, at CPL HQ, and because it's right in your face, the broadcast providers (OneSoccer of course and CBC to a lesser extent).  I really am becoming convinced that this whole "Spring Season" is just glorified  sea-trials with the real season, the real product, coming after 1st of July.

Seriously, by the end of the season as everyone looks back a lot of people are going to have a sheepish little laugh and marvel at how they ever managed to get from what they were in May/June to what they are in September/October. 

That includes the OneSoccer administrative, technical and on-screen teams. 

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

One man commentary teams tonight. I couldnt tell whether I thought Nigel Reed did a tremendous job or I wanted to burst into fits of laughter because it was like an inner monologue one man show. 

Tough gig not having someone to play off and give you a break. So credit due.

I'm certain he called the game off a monitor as well. I could be wrong though 

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

One man commentary teams tonight. I couldnt tell whether I thought Nigel Reed did a tremendous job or I wanted to burst into fits of laughter because it was like an inner monologue one man show. 

I enjoyed the guy doing the Blainville match.

12 hours ago, toontownman said:

There were some definite differences between these Vs Cup matches and what we have seen for CPL production. The announcers were calling games off a monitor and were not on site. Not sure who the commentators with the British accents were for the Blainville or Vaughn matches, but they were alright. They were not as familiar with the teams though as we have seen with the regular CPL commentators. One of the guys said you could hear Jim Brennan urging on his team!!! Brennan wasn't even at the match!

No pre/post or halftime shows. Will be curious to see what they do for later rounds as more CPL teams and then MLS gets involved.

Nigel Reed is still terrible.

14 hours ago, toontownman said:

It's done all the time. World feed for FIFA and other international tourneys have only 1 person. It adds more intimacy since the announcer is talking to you rather than having inane jabbering with his analyst. It also allows the match to breathe. Granted, they are usually better than the 3 used last night. 

27 minutes ago, red card said:

It's done all the time. World feed for FIFA and other international tourneys have only 1 person. It adds more intimacy since the announcer is talking to you rather than having inane jabbering with his analyst. It also allows the match to breathe. Granted, they are usually better than the 3 used last night. 

I heard sections of all three, and they were all prettty dry and flat. None were really in a position to add much colour, and it seemed they were uninvested. I did not like any of them too much, a ton of football truisms. 

I also heard the comment about Brennan and it made me wonder. 

Too bad for that Blainville match they did not focus on the supporter section more than a few times, I think they were to the right of the camera, but not on the end. I agree that for both Blaineville and Azzuri those crowds were good and showed a dedicated specific fanbase. 

As for Blaineville, though I lived in Montreal I don't know that area, but just saw that Thérèse-de Blaineville has over 150,000 population--so if you can get over a thousand to that game, would those fans also support a team not far away in Laval?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say I am impressed with OneSoccer's support.  I had an issue where I couldn't log into the account I registered.  I found out just before a game I wanted to watch so I re registered using the same email.  Unknown to me, I had mis-entered the email the first time (which explains why I couldn't log in).  A month after the first registration, I got charged for the monthly fee even though I had fully intended to get the annual service.

Bottom line, it was my fault for typing poorly, and I reached out tonight to see if they could sort it out.  Within 30 minutes of emailing them (got the tech support email from the FB page) they had sorted out that I had accidentally registered two different emails  and agreed to reverse the monthly charge if I got the annual subscription attached to the right email.  Top notch customer service IMO. 

50 minutes ago, ted said:

So, do they have any of the promised programming yet? At least tell me they have a weekly, half-hour, highlights/analysis/features show?

The last couple of weekends they have been doing a half hour preview show. Im not sure if they archive it though. 

They did broadcast that Women's friendly against Spain. Which was nice to get. 

They have had some issues running 2 games at a time of late. When the York9 game had that weather delay they ended up messing up the other match (I think It was Cavalry v Wanderers)

And then there was another Saturday with broadcast issues. 

Hopefully there will be less issues moving forward. 

Overall I have been happy with One Soccer

Who called the game yesterday? I quite like having a Canadian accent, a guy with a bit of enthusiasm, and a certain light tone, which for me is fine. It is not the only way I appreciate a game to be called, but I thought it was right for CPL: we should have a light airy tone in the league and even laugh a bit when things turn into a brawl.

My take on it (FWIW) is this:

For years, we have wanted a decent quality, reliable stream to view Canadian games.  Yes, that was in the context of CMNT games, but now that we have our own league, we also have a service that is providing high quality, reliable streams for all CPL and V Cup games, and all CMNT and CWNT home games.  Taxes in, it cost me around $0.25 per day.  I'll take it, and I will be pretty forgiving as the kinks are worked out.  As someone in a non CPL market, it seems like money well spent.