OneSoccer

Foreen

https://www.instagram.com/truenorthfoot/p/C3GzKdLLhl0/

EDIT: Already posted by someone else but I genuinely don't know what to do with that...

One part of me feel relieved, another doesn't want to stop holding my breath until they (CSB and MediaPro) announce it themselves and yet a third feel like banging my head on the wall at the absurdity of the whole sequence of events...

Edited by phil03

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Looks like there's some truth to what I wrote

LOL. 

Sounds like a mafia boss "suggesting" a couple of his underlings put their quarrel to bed and get back to looking after family business.

Or he could do it for them if they like.

"When they're ready to announce it.... they'll announce it.  Right boys?"

there was just no way cpl was gonna find someone in such a short period to produce all games...both sides probably sat down with mediapro saying we'll keep producing everything but going forward we'll pay you a small fraction of what was originally agreed as you cant give the number of games that you promised...no choice but to take it for cpl but now they badly need more ways to get money coming in

4 hours ago, fil said:

Another bad day for media...

Bell Media to lay off 4800 employees (including journalists), sell 45 radio stations and cut programming (local news being cut).

Bell Media owns CTV and 70% of TSN 

This is actually a good thing. Now maybe we can go back to more local focused and more diverse coverage of news, sports and whatever else. Traditional media is dying because the legacy platforms that have been sucked up by Bell are predictable and boring and used more to pump a message that ultimately benefit other assests rather then to entertain and inform. I consume so much media but very rarely tsn or ctv because I find them disinteresing.

To focus it directly on sports and soccer listen to what Vic said on that podcast today. He basically touched on that. They just pump their properties and leverage the fact that they've spent billions to create a monopoly without competition. No need to invest in being innovative or entertaining when there is no competition.

Edited by SpursFlu

Mont Vic also said to Footy Prime that CIBC CEO Victor Dodig played for Toronto Metro Croatia. This is change for Canada as football hasn't been the sport of Bay Street, Ottawa or any other institutions but of immigrants.

So, this gives me comfort that we have a committed sponsor backer behind the CPL and Canada Soccer. 

When Mont Vic first heard about the CSB/MP news, his first thought is that we have arrived in Canada. We're actually having a scrap because in the past broadcaster's never gave a shit about football. 

He also back in 2012, from a business perspective, Canada Soccer was at zero. Not a Ferrari today but maybe a BMW while at best was a Fiat a decade ago. Every Fed has issues. Make the right decisions for the game even though today it may not help you or the players or the Fed.

60% of the federations won't have money for organized football without FIFA money. So, primary goal of World Cup is to make money.

Edited by red card

4 hours ago, Big_M said:

there was just no way cpl was gonna find someone in such a short period to produce all games...both sides probably sat down with mediapro saying we'll keep producing everything but going forward we'll pay you a small fraction of what was originally agreed as you cant give the number of games that you promised...no choice but to take it for cpl but now they badly need more ways to get money coming in

One side definitely blinked in a big way. Strongly suspect it's what you state but there's also the possility that CONCACAF (read Victor Montagliani) had the ability to strong arm Mediapro somehow through their separate broadcast rights dealings to persuade them to hang around in a CanPL context even though the games are drawing low four figures in viewership. That would fit with Onesoccer disappearing and then reappearing as the Canadian rights holder for the CONCACAF Champions Cup on CONCACAF's website.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

8 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

This is actually a good thing. Now maybe we can go back to more local focused and more diverse coverage of news, sports and whatever else. Traditional media is dying because the legacy platforms that have been sucked up by Bell are predictable and boring and used more to pump a message that ultimately benefit other assests rather then to entertain and inform. I consume so much media but very rarely tsn or ctv because I find them disinteresing.

Let's check back in a few years. Nowhere is quality and breadth of local news coverage improving due to the strangling of traditional media by corporate bosses/hedge funds.

There is plenty of local commentary, but nearly all of that is still based on reports produced by traditional sources.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

One side definitely blinked in a big way. Strongly suspect it's what you state but there's also the possility that CONCACAF (read Victor Montagliani) had the ability to strong arm Mediapro somehow

Almost certainly the case.

36 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Let's check back in a few years. Nowhere is quality and breadth of local news coverage improving due to the strangling of traditional media by corporate bosses/hedge funds.

There is plenty of local commentary, but nearly all of that is still based on reports produced by traditional sources.

Yup. Random personal posts on reddit and Instagram don't replace reliable news.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I see lots of things produced locally and professionally on YouTube or podcasts or other platforms. These people are entrepreneurs and industrial in the same way tv stations and radio stations were once created. So I would argue it's already been improved it just the major platform of cable television has been locked out by the people in question. Look at Onesoccer.. thats basically what that was but with a lot of money behind it

Edited by SpursFlu

14 hours ago, Ansem said:

Looks like there's some truth to what I wrote

That pic suggests when Montagliani said "they" he was talking about MediaPro and CSB, but in listening to the question and his answer I thought it sounded more like just referring to One Soccer. Basically, One Soccer disappeared for a bit, and now they are back, because they sorted out their own issues. And then he is hopeful that the issues between Media Pro and CSB will also get sorted out.

It was nice to have some One Soccer content this week like the old days, but I am going to continue to worry about if I'll be able to watch CPL games at home this year until I see an official announcement. And I am definitely in the camp that believes this is all bad news for CPL, not good news, until I see something positive.

1 hour ago, nolando said:

Yup. Random personal posts on reddit and Instagram don't replace reliable news.

What if one of your reliable news sources gets laid off at CTV which they likely have, then you read their random personal posts on reddit and Instagram do they now become unreliable in your eyes?

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

News was always a profit driven business in the past, often very profitable, aside from state funded media. The internet killed local newsgathering, not hedge funds. Will a new model emerge? Maybe, hard to see what it would be right now though. Broader state funding seems unlikely to be very popular. 

12 hours ago, red card said:

Mont Vic also said to Footy Prime that CIBC CEO Victor Dodig played for Toronto Metro Croatia. This is change for Canada as football hasn't been the sport of Bay Street, Ottawa or any other institutions but of immigrants.

So, this gives me comfort that we have a committed sponsor backer behind the CPL and Canada Soccer. 

Dodig's first responsibility is to the shareholders. Now, maybe he thinks the advertising rights for Canadian soccer are undervalued/overlooked, and he may be right. And he certainly seems to have put them in a prime spot to take advantage of Canada hosting the WC. But after that? He'll only be committed as long as he thinks it's profitable for them.

I think CSB was onside with MediaPro's exclusivity but since the roadblocks have been put up CSB 5 years in realizes that the big hurdle for CPL is exposure in the Canadian market. I think those roadblocks are wrong but it's just a fact of life here in Canada. I think CSB is pressuring Mediapro to come off that hard stance to concede a little to whoever they need to to get CPL in to more traditional media outlets. That's just kinda what I read here with Onesoccer kinda come back on line and Vic's comments 

53 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Dodig's first responsibility is to the shareholders. Now, maybe he thinks the advertising rights for Canadian soccer are undervalued/overlooked, and he may be right. And he certainly seems to have put them in a prime spot to take advantage of Canada hosting the WC. But after that? He'll only be committed as long as he thinks it's profitable for them.

I would be more concerned with how much longer will he be in charge of CIBC. He's been around for 10 years already. Modern Canadian bank CEOs tend to have their leanings that they use to cement their legacy and champion areas especially where intangibles are part of the decision. A new CIBC CEO may press his thumb on the scales elsewhere after the deal expires.

Otherwise, for soccer, it should pass the hard metrics to get the go ahead. They can also see the pathway forged by 2 other Canadian banks into the sport. One Canadian bank is heavily into MLS, FIFA, a couple of Canadian players and was a previous sponsor of Canada Soccer. Another is into Concacaf. 

However, Canada Soccer doesn't have a good history of retaining sponsors. Post WWC 2015, 80% of the sponsors didn't renew. With CSB now doing the deals & CPL in the mix, we'll have to see if they can reduce the churn post 2026.