OneSoccer

Foreen

He played all 3 World Cup games in 1986- small in stature - huge in heart-

Literally, if Canada had more soccer mojo on the world stage, then TL would have had more global acclaim,  he was Jorge Campos before Campos was a thing- ok perhaps with less loud GK kit and a huge 2" taller ( 5.8 to 5.6 ) to Campos

Great Mullet too!

Edited by Markoaleks

6 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

He played all 3 World Cup games in 1986- small in stature - huge in heart-

Literally, if Canada had more soccer mojo on the world stage, then TL would have had more global acclaim,  he was Jorge Campos before Campos was a thing- ok perhaps with less loud GK kit and a huge 2" taller ( 5.8 to 5.6 ) to Campos

Great Mullet too!

Didn't Dolan play 1 game?

From memory and it's been a while obviously Tino Lettieri arrived late for Mexico 86 because his MISL team were not under FIFA related sanctioning and were reluctant to let him go because of their playoffs. Ozzie appeared regularly in NASL and MISL games but was eventually banned by the MISL commissioner. Don't remember if he made a reappearance in a CSL context with the Steelers or what Juventus legend John Charles would have made of that if he did.

On 2/19/2024 at 7:11 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What's on topic would be whether CSB is going to be able to recoup some sort of exit fee out of Mediapro now that they won't be receiving broadcasting rights fees from them that would have escalated up to $14 million by 2028. $14 million vs $3.5 million as the annual flat fee (with only some minor increments) for the CSA before we even get into the money CSB is receiving from CMNT and CWNT driven sponsorship deals despite there being almost no overlap in player personnel terms. Somebody well and truly sold the farm back in 2018 with little or no board oversight but "football first" or whatever.

I doubt there will be an exit fee. Hopefully CSB will get the unpaid fees from last year and a decent amount for this year, but I don't think it will be the full contracted amount.

The CSB-CSA relationship is a whole other issue that doesn't have much to do with Mediapro.

^ Asset transfer at the close of 2024 season.  Whatever that means. 

Assets are usually physical so I guess media hardware and whatever property/+ intellectual assets Mediapro/OneSoccer has amassed over the last few years.  A consolation but you know what?  Might be worth its way in gold going forward. 

LOL, or not.  We'll see.

I looked up Mediapro Canada a while ago and they were a company that traveled to venues and shot and delivered game feeds for you.  I think the OneSoccer channel is just a side hustle for them.  It would be strange to me if OneSoccer ended up owning the equipment for recording games.  Maybe the CSB would get OneSoccer (i.e. studio, talking heads, advertising dept., streaming platform,...), but I don't expect them to get the game recording technology that allows them to generate their own game feeds.

This was the Sports Business text that provided new info:

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/exclusive-cpl-set-to-continue-on-onesoccer-after-mediapro-csb-talks/

...However, according to multiple Canadian broadcast sources, Mediapro and CSB have held talks with a view to OneSoccer showing the forthcoming CPL season but with assets transferred to CSB.

It is thought that, under the plan, OneSoccer would continue to be operated by Mediapro and matches produced by the company when the new campaign begins on April 13. The production specification has been one of the main areas under discussion with the league keen to retain the same levels.

Mediapro is still expected to wind down its operations in Canada after this season.

The knock-on effect of any agreement over CPL coverage on the litigation is not yet clear. It is also not known if OneSoccer would continue its coverage of the men’s and women’s Canadian national teams.

Contacted by SportBusiness, both Mediapro and the CPL declined to comment.

-----------------------------------

The assets transfer bit applied to this season rather than the post-2024 scenario and could just mean the broadcasting rights rather than broadcast equipment given the second piece of bolded text.

I'm with Ozzie on this one. I think it just means CPL/CSB has the rights to sell the games that MediaPro produces to other broadcasters in addition to them being shown on OneSoccer. They would also be allowed to distribute highlights as they see fit, but I have no idea if OneSoccer was asking for money for highlights. I would guess not because even though highlights were never shown on Sportsnet Central or Sportscentre, there were the odd highlight on Sportsnets shows about plays of the month or misplays of the month.

10 hours ago, rkomar said:

Because providing game feeds for hire is Mediapro's core business.

I am just guessing, but that is enough to make me surprised if OneSoccer came away with Mediapro's technology.

Actually I don't think that is accurate.

Mediapro buys rights, then resells those rights to companies experienced in producing football matches. When they broke in to the CPL, I commented that this was a recognised defect and I even speculated that they were using the CPL deal to gain experience in producing games. 

Then, Mediapro invests in media products, fiction mostly but also documentaries, film and tv, but they are producers, ie funding productions. For example, Jaume Roure produced a number of Woody Allen films. They do a lot of mid-range shows, such as talk and humour, for Spanish tv. 

They were doing very little game production in Spain, in fact, one of the few areas they did it was for the women, for a time. CPL is one of their most direct experiences, and you could argue it adds something to their portfolio, but it is not their core business. That said, what was unusual is they were ineffective selling CPL to mainstream Canadian media, the fact they sold to FoxSports2 or to Mexican or other markets was more in line with their model. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CNBC produced a 25 min doc examining ESPN’s strategy to fend off streamers and questions its sustainability in a digital-first world. Core issues can easily be transposed to TSN/SN.

ESPN is at a crossroads. Their business model is eroding. ESPN reported domestic and international revenue grew just 1% to US$4.4b in its most recent fiscal quarter. The network can no longer rely on price increases to make up the difference as the number of cable customers decline. But ESPN has a new two-part streaming plan to reinvigorate growth.

As a worst case scenario for CPL, the A-Leagues (men & women) just faced it. 

A-Leagues broadcast production partners Global Advance were placed into voluntary administration on Tuesday. They wouldn't be able to produce this week's matches. But on Thursday, a deal with NEP was finalised, hours before Central Coast Mariners and Western United met in the A-League Women.

The A-Leagues pay roughly A$12m for the production of their games which are then broadcast on Network Ten and Paramount+. The A-Leagues is believed to be up to $1m out of pocket after already agreeing to advance payments to Global Advance.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/28/a-league-tv-broadcast-blackout-production-team-global-advance-administration