OneSoccer

Foreen

Great news.. looks like CSB will have it both ways for the next year. Mediapro will produce their content and CSB will be able to sell off their properties individually. Voyageurs Cup to TSN please 

I'm pretty sure on the whole CPL will remain on Onesoccer. Maybe the odd exception 

Edited by SpursFlu

35 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Great news.. looks like CSB will have it both ways for the next year. Mediapro will produce their content and CSB will be able to sell off their properties individually. Voyageurs Cup to TSN please 

I'm pretty sure on the whole CPL will remain on Onesoccer. Maybe the odd exception 

I just hope CPL and National team games are still under the same umbrella. I'm so tired of testing sketchy websites. I pay money for a reliable service

3 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Strange, are you trying it on a PC?

I just did it again and it still works for me, my sub ends April 6th.

No, on my Android phone. And on the OneSoccer app through my Roku device, there is no 'My Account' option at all.

Edited by Ed_S

10 hours ago, Ed_S said:

No, on my Android phone. And on the OneSoccer app through my Roku device, there is no 'My Account' option at all.

I was able to check mine (exp. April 28th) on my laptop (didn't try my Android phone or Roku).  It wasn't easy to navigate, need to go into My Account and My Subscription a few times.

On 2/17/2024 at 12:59 AM, red card said:

Most of the article goes over past news. The only new stuff is what is in the tweet and then this:

However, according to multiple Canadian broadcast sources, Mediapro and CSB have held talks with a view to OneSoccer showing the forthcoming CPL season but with assets transferred to CSB.

It is thought that, under the plan, OneSoccer would continue to be operated by Mediapro and matches produced by the company when the new campaign begins on April 13. The production specification has been one of the main areas under discussion with the league keen to retain the same levels.

Mediapro is still expected to wind down its operations in Canada after this season.

The knock-on effect of any agreement over CPL coverage on the litigation is not yet clear. It is also not known if OneSoccer would continue its coverage of the men’s and women’s Canadian national teams.

Contacted by SportBusiness, both Mediapro and the CPL declined to comment.

Not much so far by way of followups to the Sports Business article and near radio silence from some of the blog and podcaster types that would normally be expected to be all over a story like this. Suspect the blindingly obvious questions like whether this means CSB would be paying Mediapro for the production costs in 2024 and what happens to Onesoccer's web platform and Mediapro's outside broadcast vans in 2025 don't provide positive enough talking points.

Josh Healey, podcaster/blogger, did a follow up:

I made some calls and was able to corroborate Ross’ reporting with sources close to the situation. In addition, I was able to confirm OneSoccer again holds the broadcast rights for the CPL, Canadian Championship and Canada’s men’s and women’s national teams. The situation was described to me as Mom and Dad were fighting, it went public but they decided to make it work for 2024 given how much money it would cost to get divorced.

Overall, I think this is the best case scenario given the two sides are providing stability to the Canadian football landscape while they extricate themselves behind the scenes.

But for now, CSB and MediaPro will stay married for the kids.

https://wanderersnotebook.ca/2024/02/18/8-cpl-thoughts-csb-mediapro-strike-a-deal-the-winter-of-fernando-and-the-future-of-triston-henry/

Edited by red card

It was for a pint of milk where the family of the wife of one of my second cousins was concerned. Rumours he was seen on the street one time by former neighbours who had emigrated to Sydney in Australia but they never got closure by finding out for sure.

Anyhoo, the concern would be that all this talk at the moment is simply a case of Victor Montagliani & Co being at the bargaining phase of the five stages of grief after the head honchos in Barcelona didn't blink at the prospect of legal action and CSB were suddenly left with no other viable options where 2024 was concerned with sponsors contract clauses to fulfill where broadcasting is concerned.

Where this winds up still ranges from not too damaging for CanPL (win legal action and actually receive a large pay out) to potentially league ending if Mediapro was a river that knew where it's flowing when it took the wrong turn and it just kept going because the failure to deliver enough games argument holds up in court and they win the $50 million in damages.

It's noteworthy that nobody appears to have a clear picture yet of whether the legal actions brought by both parties have actually formally been ended, which would be the prerequisite for the dad's still around sleeping on the couch because neither party can afford a divorce analogy. Would those legal actions being withdrawn not be a matter of public record and easy to confirm? Why only 2024 if they are staying together for the kids? The contract runs through 2028.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

^^^these sort of posts add what to the thread exactly? What's on topic would be whether CSB is going to be able to recoup some sort of exit fee out of Mediapro now that they won't be receiving broadcasting rights fees from them that would have escalated up to $14 million by 2028. $14 million vs $3.5 million as the annual flat fee (with only some minor increments) for the CSA before we even get into the money CSB is receiving from CMNT and CWNT driven sponsorship deals despite there being almost no overlap in player personnel terms. Somebody well and truly sold the farm back in 2018 with little or no board oversight but "football first" or whatever.

15 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^these sort of posts add what to the thread exactly? What's on topic would be whether CSB is going to be able to recoup some sort of exit fee out of Mediapro now that they won't be receiving broadcasting rights fees from them that would have escalated up to $14 million by 2028. $14 million vs $3.5 million as the annual flat fee (with only some minor increments) for the CSA before we even get into the money CSB is receiving from CMNT and CWNT driven sponsorship deals despite there being almost no overlap in player personnel terms. Somebody well and truly sold the farm back in 2018 with little or no board oversight but "football first" or whatever.

You're hitting the Chicken Little 'the sky is falling' rhetoric hard lately. Slow down, it's going to be a long season

42 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I was watching old Whitecaps highlights from the CSL and there was a Goalkeeper named Ozzie_the_parrot.  When the announcer said his name I almost fell off my chair lol

58 minutes ago, narduch said:

Apparently they struck a deal for 2024.

Would be hilarious if they negotiate a new 10 year deal from the aftermath

As Jaume Roures is out, and only Tatxo Benet is still there but in a minority role, you'd have to think Mediapro is being rebuilt from the ground up by its Chinese shareholders. Tatxo and Roures were ambitious, but overreached and overstepped and then Covid exposed them worse than others, with a stronger business model. They were mavericks, but media speculators. 

Perhaps some re-sizing, and framing the relationship in a sustainable way, is better in the mid to short term. 

It is hard to say it was MediaPro's fault that Canadian regulatory bodies are working for monopoly media interests instead of fulfilling their mandate to limit those monopolies.

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I was watching old Whitecaps highlights from the CSL and there was a Goalkeeper named Ozzie_the_parrot.  When the announcer said his name I almost fell off my chair lol

The goalkeeper's name is Tino Lettieri, and he played for the Whitecaps during the tail end of their NASL journey in the early-'80s. He was also one of our 'keepers at the '86 World Cup, and played for the Blizzard, as well. He used to have a stuffed toy that he put in the goal whenever he played. The parrot was called Ozzie.