OneSoccer

Foreen

Think it's obvious Onesoccer is effectively done at this point but the more interesting angle moving forward maybe is where Mediapro Canada's broadcast trucks are nowadays. Suspect they'll quickly wind up south of the border or wherever else Mediapro can make money from them globally:

and that will mean CanPL will have to deal with the company based at the Rogers Centre that all the other leagues use.

Have any of the One Soccer personalities put anything out on their personal social media sites since the announcement ? Really feel for these people ,  they all love the game and were working and making a living in the game . Hopefully they are all able to stay in the game and can keep making a living in it .

On 1/29/2024 at 6:04 PM, SpursFlu said:

Interesting nugget from AFTN today. It was mentioned that Telus may play a big part in the broadcasting of CPL going forward. I was surprised that not every province offers Telus cable. Turns out it's only in BC, Alberta & Quebec. I just recently switched to Rogers but I did recall to my surprise that Telus broadcasted BCHL & Jr Lacross(salmonbellies, shamrocks) may not mean much to people outside of BC but those have a decent following out here.

Telus also does University football. Interesting prospect, but Telus only offers TV service in three CPL markets.

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

and that will mean CanPL will have to deal with the company based at the Rogers Centre that all the other leagues use.

Kartik Krishnaiyer who is one of the two who cover US soccer media via a podcast and the website World Soccer Talk and is heavily involved in lower division US leagues says it opens up a potential opportunity for US production companies.

He also says US media companies but that tells me that he isn't aware Canadian regulations largely stifle US media companies setting up base in Canada. With the advent of streaming, more are available since they're not under CRTC. Still, I can only see Paramount+ as being interested since they just signed a deal with the USL and carried the US Open Cup. But P+ parent company is financially constrained and they're looking to sell all or part of their assets.

https://beyondthe90.substack.com/p/breakdown-across-the-border-cpl-suddenly

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

If your year subscription is up will they auto-renew you? I don't see a way to cancel auto-renew if it is active. Has anybody been auto-renewed?

I have never been auto renewed. It was always annoying, waiting until the day you are cut off to then renew before whatever game it is you want to watch starts.

14 hours ago, Cheeta said:

When Fubo picked up OneSoccer I just went that route.  Glad I did. 

The only drawback to not having a one soccer sub is not having the on demand stuff, but as long as you can remember to record stuff you want to see, there's no doubt Fubo is far better value.

3 hours ago, jdheid said:

The only drawback to not having a one soccer sub is not having the on demand stuff, but as long as you can remember to record stuff you want to see, there's no doubt Fubo is far better value.

Onesoccer is also cheaper than Fubo ($120 vs $220), so if you don't need/want the extra Fubo content then Onesoccer is/was the way to go.

47 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Onesoccer is also cheaper than Fubo ($120 vs $220), so if you don't need/want the extra Fubo content then Onesoccer is/was the way to go.

At this point it feels like if all you want is Canadian content, just do a month for the CCC and then see where the CPL rights end up and wait to see what's happening with OS.

Their has been a series of large layoff announcements for media and news in the past month. In the past year plenty of layoffs, everything seems to be affected. Local media, digital media, mainstream media. Some digital media that was funded by venture capital is no longer being proped up by investors. Game developers have been affected also.

Washington post, LA times, The Atlantic, Sports Illustrated, CBC, Vice media, Vox media, to name a few affected. 

Their is clearly a shakeup in the industry right now. Some things should of closed up long ago and just crowded the market. The advertising-revenue model is disappearing for many. 

Some of these large corporate media outlets have lost touch with their customers.

5 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Can someone tell me if the CMNT match vs T&T in March will be on OS, or is that up in the air?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Not following the story very closely. 

I think it should be because it's a Concacaf property. 

And they seem to still have their full Concacaf contract