OneSoccer

Foreen

I wonder if there's any chance that OneSoccer would be sold to whoever ends up broadcasting CPL this year - assuming the games will be televised.

Otherwise, I don't see how it has any future.

5 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I wonder if there's any chance that OneSoccer would be sold to whoever ends up broadcasting CPL this year - assuming the games will be televised.

Otherwise, I don't see how it has any future.

Don't think that can or will happen until the lawsuit is settled

45 minutes ago, narduch said:

Don't think that can or will happen until the lawsuit is settled

I'm not sure why not. Nothing stops Mediapro selling assets. And I don't see an outcome here that would give Mediapro back the league.

Just now, nfitz said:

I'm not sure why not. Nothing stops Mediapro selling assets. And I don't see an outcome here that would give Mediapro back the league.

I'm just thinking they don't want to sell their tools to their enemy.

Unless they are super cash strapped

11 hours ago, nfitz said:

I wonder if there's any chance that OneSoccer would be sold to whoever ends up broadcasting CPL this year - assuming the games will be televised....

The stated reason for taking back the rights was that Onesoccer wasn't providing enough media exposure for the league so why would they necessarily want to do that? Mediapro can easily just drive or ship most of the equipment they were using elsewhere globally to where they can make use of it in much the same way it would have arrived in the first place, so at that point you are left with a website and a warehouse. It's easy enough to set up the former or even just make use of Youtube and there are plenty of the latter than can be rented.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The stated reason for taking back the rights was that Onesoccer wasn't providing enough media exposure for the league so why would they necessarily want to do that? Mediapro can easily just drive or ship most of the equipment they were using elsewhere globally to where they can make use of it in much the same way it would have arrived in the first place, so at that point you are left with a website and a warehouse. It's easy enough to set up the former or even just make use of Youtube and there are plenty of the latter than can be rented.

... and a subscriber base, however small. Worth more than nothing.

I could see Onesoccer being sold. I'd rebrand it Onesport and try the outlandish thing of covering more than one sport. I would focus on the outlier sport properties in Canada that kinda get shut out of TSN and Sportsnet 

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I could see Onesoccer being sold. I'd rebrand it Onesport and try the outlandish thing of covering more than one sport. I would focus on the outlier sport properties in Canada that kinda get shut out of TSN and Sportsnet 

I've thought the same thing.  Telus would be an interesting buyer.

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

If the CSA terminated agreement with OneSoccer's monopoly perhaps now Canadian National Team games will be available for all Canadians for free.

I dont want the games to be free. Isn't the thing we're always complaining about is the CSA has no money? Now they're supposed to give their games away for free?

I buy all the stuff I can because that's the name of the game. I don't want shit for free. I want Canadian Soccer to succeed 

Edited by SpursFlu

18 hours ago, narduch said:

One Soccer confirming they still have all the Concacaf rights.

Wondering if we'll see the OneSoccer crew in front of the camera again for this coverage.  And if not, who?

14 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Wondering if we'll see the OneSoccer crew in front of the camera again for this coverage.  And if not, who?

For the Women's U17 they just played the strait Concacaf feed.

But last night on Twitter Jenkins confirmed he will be on the call for CCC. Complete with a studio pregame with Wheeler and Wilson.

31 minutes ago, king1010 said:

so based on the below, KJ is working for the CPL/CSB and not OneSoccer/Mediapro while Adam Jenkins is the opposite? 

It's been like this for a few years now.

KJ joined CPL in 2021.

https://canpl.ca/article/media-release-cpl-welcomes-veteran-soccer-journalist-kristian-jack-as-vp-of-media-content

Jenkins has always been a One Soccer guy.

Edited by narduch

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Weird prediction time: the Mexicans at York will connect CPL to a Mexican media outlet to support the league's production needs and serve the userbase.

Mexico was one of the countries that had picked up CPL.

Just my theory:

MediaPro doesn't seem like they are quite ready to pull the plug in Canada as they seem committed on continuing their CONCACAF coverage

I think CSB could live with the low visibility as long as they were getting paid and their games got produced with the quality we've been seeing thus far. I think low visibility and MediaPro unwillingness to pay was unbearable and if that's the case - they might as well give the games for cheap themselves if it boost attendance and visibility

I think what CSB wants is the freedom to shop around their games without being tied down to Onesoccer (exclusive deal) - especially when it's becoming clear no one else wants to deal with them.

There should be an awareness within CSB that MediaPro might need them more than they need Onesoccer. After all the money they've already invested, it's hard to just pull the plug and what other content will they put on that plateform? If they do end up flushing Onesoccer but wants to stay here in North America on the production side, CSB could negotiate to get them to produce the game in a way they could shop them elsewhere afterwards or even give some of them for cheap/away for visibility - they might end up getting offered less.

I think this move was to break the "exclusivity clause" and give them control over how & where the content gets distributed. We don't know how MediaPro did business but I kept hearing that they were very hard to work with - maybe that should be translated with "unwilling to lower prices, give away games, buy airtime and scrubbing their logos off".

If CSB came to the conclusion that taking a financial hit on media revenues initially can be offset by a bigger growth in visibility/attendance and sponsorship in the long term - it makes sense that they made the move to take back control of their rights.

In a nutshell, find an online platform to make all your games available and accept less money so you don't award "exclusivity". This way, they can shop around specific games (at the price they decide upon) to grow the visibility of the league (CBC, TVA, other mainstream channels). Pay to get the games produce in a way where there'd be willingness to show the highlights and scores by removing MediaPro as the middle guy no one wants to talk to.

That could explain the reported "confidence" that their games will be made accessible. MediaPro gets what it wants, content at a cheaper price and possibly get paid for producing the games according to CSB specs while CSB takes control of distribution and the exclusivity clause is dropped

This was a long time coming, don't doubt that for a second.  I fully expect both parties have been developing Plans A, B, C and so on before court filings were made.

Maybe things have gone too far but I still think there's a chance at a renegotiated agreement.

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

Just my theory:

MediaPro doesn't seem like they are quite ready to pull the plug in Canada as they seem committed on continuing their CONCACAF coverage

I think CSB could live with the low visibility as long as they were getting paid and their games got produced with the quality we've been seeing thus far. I think low visibility and MediaPro unwillingness to pay was unbearable and if that's the case - they might as well give the games for cheap themselves if it boost attendance and visibility

I think what CSB wants is the freedom to shop around their games without being tied down to Onesoccer (exclusive deal) - especially when it's becoming clear no one else wants to deal with them.

There should be an awareness within CSB that MediaPro might need them more than they need Onesoccer. After all the money they've already invested, it's hard to just pull the plug and what other content will they put on that plateform? If they do end up flushing Onesoccer but wants to stay here in North America on the production side, CSB could negotiate to get them to produce the game in a way they could shop them elsewhere afterwards or even give some of them for cheap/away for visibility - they might end up getting offered less.

I think this move was to break the "exclusivity clause" and give them control over how & where the content gets distributed. We don't know how MediaPro did business but I kept hearing that they were very hard to work with - maybe that should be translated with "unwilling to lower prices, give away games, buy airtime and scrubbing their logos off".

If CSB came to the conclusion that taking a financial hit on media revenues initially can be offset by a bigger growth in visibility/attendance and sponsorship in the long term - it makes sense that they made the move to take back control of their rights.

In a nutshell, find an online platform to make all your games available and accept less money so you don't award "exclusivity". This way, they can shop around specific games (at the price they decide upon) to grow the visibility of the league (CBC, TVA, other mainstream channels). Pay to get the games produce in a way where there'd be willingness to show the highlights and scores by removing MediaPro as the middle guy no one wants to talk to.

That could explain the reported "confidence" that their games will be made accessible. MediaPro gets what it wants, content at a cheaper price and possibly get paid for producing the games according to CSB specs while CSB takes control of distribution and the exclusivity clause is dropped

I had the same thought. Perhaps we'll see OneSoccer continuing as usual online and in international markets (CanPL is distributed in LatAm on TV), but no longer with exclusive rights in Canada. In return CSB receives smaller licensing fee but can try and sell broadcast rights to the domestic carriers. Win win in my view.

Edited by Foreen