OneSoccer

Foreen

3 hours ago, red card said:

OneSoccer to carry CPL S6 along with Voyageurs Cup, SBC and NED friendly.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 174149.jpg

Where did this come from? I just went into my account to see when my month expires (I didn't realize it already auto-renewed for a 2nd month) and saw there was a button to change your subscription. It just showed the year of soccer for $120. I didn't see anything about the season pass for $90. Is this for season ticket holders or something?

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

Where did this come from? I just went into my account to see when my month expires (I didn't realize it already auto-renewed for a 2nd month) and saw there was a button to change your subscription. It just showed the year of soccer for $120. I didn't see anything about the season pass for $90. Is this for season ticket holders or something?

It must have been in an email.

If you go to their website it offers this new rate.

I just got this on my Chrome browser:

image.thumb.png.99ba78930916b36e27b28a5a5fd7d754.png

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

It must have been in an email.

If you go to their website it offers this new rate.

I just got this on my Chrome browser:

image.thumb.png.99ba78930916b36e27b28a5a5fd7d754.png

Yeah, right after I posted I went to a not logged in browser to check what it says when you want to sign up. But when I am signed in and I click the button to change my existing subscription I get this.

image.thumb.png.29fdc493fb09aa1512c0b11c6081c967.png

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I'm a former subscriber to OS as I have been watching it via fubo for 2-3 years. But I never unsubbed from OneSoccer emails. 

Edited by red card

Beyond that given Mediapro have been reported to be exiting stage right after 2024, I'd be wary about paying in advance for anything after the end of this upcoming CanPL season. Mid-Apr to mid-Nov would cover that OK doing it monthly. Your saving with One Season Soccer 24 winds up being 94 cents compared to that.

On 3/28/2024 at 9:48 PM, Kent said:

Yeah, right after I posted I went to a not logged in browser to check what it says when you want to sign up. But when I am signed in and I click the button to change my existing subscription I get this.

image.thumb.png.29fdc493fb09aa1512c0b11c6081c967.png

I am getting the same thing too and I subscribe monthly with automatic renewal.

I have cancelled the automatic renewal to see if the discounted amount is offered to me once the month ends.

1 hour ago, Metro said:

I have cancelled the automatic renewal to see if the discounted amount is offered to me once the month ends.

Keep us posted

Sunday's Man City v Arsenal tussle was the most watched Premier League match in US broadcast history. 2.6m in total with 2.1m on NBC/Peacock and almost 500k on Telemundo. 

It was Easter Sunday which has boosted US sports ratings since out-of-home viewing started to be measured and staying at home due to covid passed. So, Prem match was behind 2 NCAA men's basketball, 1 NCAA women's basketball and a NASCAR race. 

The dominance of the Prem for soccer on US broadcasts emerged in the past year or so. Five of the six most-watched English-language Prem matches in U.S. history have aired in the 2023-24 season.

Past year Google trends show interest in the Prem dominates in 85% of US metro areas. It's followed by LigaMX at 14%. MLS only gets some traction in St. Louis, Cincinnati and Zanesville. Amongst just domestic leagues, MLS interest trumps NWSL and USL.

https://www.helltownbeer.com/2024/03/google-trends-liga-mx-mls-pl.html

GJ6qVvOWYAEbeQC.jpg

GJ61MkdW4AAcJXu.jpg

Edited by red card

12 minutes ago, rkomar said:

Neil Davidson has an article at cbcsports with some positive information on the CSB/Mediapro dispute.  It looks like OneSoccer will keep going, which makes me happy.

Thanks for that.

Looks like Ozzie loses another one of his talking points.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canadian-soccer-business-media-partner-dispute-resolution-1.7162294?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

With MP/CSB patching things up, the money flow/creative juices have been restarted.

OneSoccer to spotlight and pay up for written story submissions. AGR & JJD signed for another year on Youtube. New hire in Tsarbucks to put out short form vids like as below. And a hint of more content en francais.

Edited by red card

It's taken 2 years but one more article actually saying what people on this forum already know but rarely mentioned elsewhere.

..Mediapro may not have done as much for grassroots Canadian soccer as it had hoped, but it’s certainly done more than any Canadian broadcaster. Before it launched OneSoccer in 2019, there were generally two ways that Canadians could watch their men’s or women’s national teams: Either Canada Soccer could pay a hefty fee to a broadcaster to produce and air the games, or fans could search the internet for low-quality pirated foreign streams.

Still, not everyone shared that vision.....So, when OneSoccer couldn’t get carriage on the major cable systems, except for Telus, it meant lower potential sponsorship revenue for Canadian Soccer Business – and Canada Soccer itself, which, despite reports to the contrary, still owns the rights to several categories of commercial sponsorships.

Canada’s broadcast system was built to protect Canadian companies – and those who work for and with them – from foreign competition. For decades, it enabled Canadian voices to be heard, to not be drowned out in our own home by the cacophony from the other side of our southern border. But it also meant that private gatekeepers were able to dictate what Canadians could or couldn’t watch. And while the streaming revolution has helped to disrupt that order, the system still favours incumbents.

Canadians shouldn’t have had to wait for a foreign company to show us what we were missing on our own soccer pitch. Still, having seen the possibilities, it would be nice to think Canadian broadcasters might be able to take it from here.

Likely paywalled.

9 hours ago, red card said:

... – and Canada Soccer itself, which, despite reports to the contrary, still owns the rights to several categories of commercial sponsorships...

Would have been good if the journalist had expanded on that a bit. Suspect we would be hearing about that angle regularly from CSB deal apologists on here if those categories were significant ones.

17 hours ago, red card said:

It's taken 2 years but one more article actually saying what people on this forum already know but rarely mentioned elsewhere.

..Mediapro may not have done as much for grassroots Canadian soccer as it had hoped, but it’s certainly done more than any Canadian broadcaster. Before it launched OneSoccer in 2019, there were generally two ways that Canadians could watch their men’s or women’s national teams: Either Canada Soccer could pay a hefty fee to a broadcaster to produce and air the games, or fans could search the internet for low-quality pirated foreign streams.

Still, not everyone shared that vision.....So, when OneSoccer couldn’t get carriage on the major cable systems, except for Telus, it meant lower potential sponsorship revenue for Canadian Soccer Business – and Canada Soccer itself, which, despite reports to the contrary, still owns the rights to several categories of commercial sponsorships.

Canada’s broadcast system was built to protect Canadian companies – and those who work for and with them – from foreign competition. For decades, it enabled Canadian voices to be heard, to not be drowned out in our own home by the cacophony from the other side of our southern border. But it also meant that private gatekeepers were able to dictate what Canadians could or couldn’t watch. And while the streaming revolution has helped to disrupt that order, the system still favours incumbents.

Canadians shouldn’t have had to wait for a foreign company to show us what we were missing on our own soccer pitch. Still, having seen the possibilities, it would be nice to think Canadian broadcasters might be able to take it from here.

Likely paywalled.

It wasn't exactly the magic bullet theory to simply connect the gatekeepers in this country to the narrative of all things negative of the CSB and the unbelievable cold shoulder the CPL has received from the legacy media in Canada. I won't bother with the "why" but as the article points out, imagine the revenue that would open up to the CSB and the CPL if they were just given the opportunity to showcase their product on these legacy platforms that other sports properties have the opportunity to do so

Really nice to see this article. Hopefully it's a sign of change 

Edited by SpursFlu

18 hours ago, red card said:

Likely paywalled.

I've been saying that from the onset but hey, I was the delusional conspiracy theorist paranoid

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Would have been good if the journalist had expanded on that a bit. Suspect we would be hearing about that angle regularly from CSB deal apologists on here if those categories were significant ones.

Stfu and buy a ticket

It would be nice if we actually knew what was included, commercial what?????  I wonder what stream he is talking about because all i hear is how money is being siphoned from the national team (an even worse misrepresentation of the facts).  But that article had more meat, more context than most we have seen the last few years and it comes at soccer from a different angle.  

On 3/31/2024 at 7:56 AM, Metro said:

Were ypu able to re-up at the lower rate?

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Were ypu able to re-up at the lower rate?

Yes, but in a roundabout way.

For some reason, my account was renewed for April even though I had cancelled the automatic renewal.  I contacted  Customer Service and asked if I could reup with $89 offer.  They terminated my subscription and advised me to log back in.  When I did, the $89 was available and I purchased it.

5 hours ago, Metro said:

Yes, but in a roundabout way.

For some reason, my account was renewed for April even though I had cancelled the automatic renewal.  I contacted  Customer Service and asked if I could reup with $89 offer.  They terminated my subscription and advised me to log back in.  When I did, the $89 was available and I purchased it.

Looks like a decent deal.  Since the target audience is a purely streaming crowd, hopefully it moves the needle on subscriptions and overall attendance.

Sometimes I imagine an alternate reality where OneSoccer kept on some developers in the 5 years since they launched, rather than just having contractors build something in a rush and then let them all leave at first kick off. We could have a lot better app by now. Like a schedule that doesn't delete the current date in Canada when it hits midnight in spain (meaning you can't check at 7pm what is on that evening), or being able to pause for more than a few seconds or couple minutes (I paused the Canada vs USA game tonight just before <spoiler alert>

just before USA went up 2-1, and then when I unpaused I saw the goal, and then got timewarped 20 minutes in the future, completely missing the Canada equalizer), or being able to subscribe at this $90 rate instead of having to have your subscription lapse before getting the deal. Oh well. Canada hasn't rewarded OneSoccer with many subscriptions, so ultimately it is probably the right call by them to not put more money into the development of their app(s).