OneSoccer

Foreen

22 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I already asked this in another thread but is there any way to get the actual viewing numbers for this year's CPL championship match?

Other than NFL's TNF on Amazon, specific audience levels for live sports shown only on streaming aren't regularly reported in North America.

In Canada, even the reporting for linear tv is now largely non-existent. The major broadcasters who own the Numeris rating agency stopped releasing weekly top 30 programs last year. With tv audience levels declining so much, they wanted to fully control the messaging via press releases with only general or no data provided.

Based on media journos piecing together info from press releases and emails, the only regular sports programs in the Canadian linear tv top 20 this fall are NFL Sunday Late, NFL Sunday Early, SNF & HNIC. But as a single game, Grey Cup was most watched.

So, we'll have to wait for someone to disclose it or wait for a research report with general data. If the numbers were really good, CPL and/or OneSoccer would have put it a press release by now. When CBC showed Leg 1 of the Final in 2019, it got 103k (live + delayed showings). 

Edited by red card

On 12/1/2023 at 9:35 PM, red card said:

The scuttlebutt is that TSN is freeing up cap room to split/share the NHL national rights with SN/streaming services while still having more/most of their regional rights.

Based on his talks with tv industry vets, Steve Simmons says if Jays are waving hello to Ohtani, SN will be waving goodbye to the NHL.

It will be the beginning of SN turning into a Blue Jays first network. They'll still keep regional rights for Canucks, Oilers & Falmes and their 50/50 share of Leafs games. 

They'll pass on full national NHL rights and maybe pass on it completely if the price isn't right. Paying over the top wages for Ohtani is cheaper than paying over the top rights for NHL by $400m+ per year. At the same time, it should drive revenue higher at the overall corporate level for Rogers with higher ad, sponsor and ticket revenues.

https://torontosun.com/sports/baseball/toronto-blue-jays/simmons-if-blue-jays-sign-ohtani-rogers-may-drop-nhl-deal

Edited by red card

Their is alot more nuance to ratings than you would think. Advertisers are much more interested in the critical youth market who they can much more influence.

I actually have a different perspective on ratings since I am one of the few involved in them at one time. Back in the mid or late 90's I was part of the ratings system in Canada. I was told that they had a hard time getting young people into the ratings system. I stop doing it since I wanted to buy a new television and it voids the waranty. Back then their was little or no soccer on TV and I only had "rabbit ears" to catch over the air channels.

Also the area that I live in KW, alot of market research is done in the past. Probably because of alot of University students, younger demographic that advertisers are keen to influence. I did it once long ago. I was the youngest guy at the time in the study. The research people seemed to be interested about who I am rather than my views on the product. Asked me questions about what I like in music and things like that. 

I will point out that both TSN and Sportsnet have a poor reputation for their streaming apps. They are both behind on getting ready for the future which is already here...

Young people will find some way for watching sports if you don't make it convenient and efficient...

"Ahoy matey! Shiver me timbers! The landlubber wants my doubloons! I rather walk the plank!"

88sbwi.jpg

39 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

But you can conveniently and efficiently stream CPL via One Soccer itself or on Fubo, so what is the issue again?  I mean, the target audience you want can easily access it.

I'm speaking of TSN and Sportsnet. People here are constantly wanting CPL shown on those channels. They are looking how things used to be done, not the future. The viewer base on those channels are getting older by the day and could care less about CPL anyway.

They are becoming irrelevant by the month, especially for young people who have little interest in cable. 

While this thread is supposed to be about OneSoccer it seems to get off topic. I am also guilty to this crime...

88tsug.jpg

Edited by fil

On 12/7/2023 at 6:16 PM, red card said:

Based on his talks with tv industry vets, Steve Simmons says if Jays are waving hello to Ohtani, SN will be waving goodbye to the NHL.

It will be the beginning of SN turning into a Blue Jays first network. They'll still keep regional rights for Canucks, Oilers & Falmes and their 50/50 share of Leafs games. 

They'll pass on full national NHL rights and maybe pass on it completely if the price isn't right. Paying over the top wages for Ohtani is cheaper than paying over the top rights for NHL by $400m+ per year. At the same time, it should drive revenue higher at the overall corporate level for Rogers with higher ad, sponsor and ticket revenues.

https://torontosun.com/sports/baseball/toronto-blue-jays/simmons-if-blue-jays-sign-ohtani-rogers-may-drop-nhl-deal

Ohtani is now a Dodger, so that Rogers' dream is over.

Edited by BearcatSA

15 hours ago, fil said:

I'm speaking of TSN and Sportsnet. People here are constantly wanting CPL shown on those channels. They are looking how things used to be done, not the future. The viewer base on those channels are getting older by the day and could care less about CPL anyway.

They are becoming irrelevant by the month, especially for young people who have little interest in cable. 

While this thread is supposed to be about OneSoccer it seems to get off topic. I am also guilty to this crime...

88tsug.jpg

Love those muscle cars, reminds me of youth.😁 (and my driving style)

5 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Who also have not enough interest in watching CPL.

Well, CPL can be marketed to youth since young Canadians actually play in the league.

I remember getting annoyed watching Canadian MLS teams and the only Canadian gets subbed off. I suddenly didn't want to watch it anymore. Watching a team full of foreigners does not appeal to me at all. 

Though their are plenty of Euro snobs that only want to watch foreigners. They look at Canadian soccer as something below them. An elitist attitude that is ridiculous to me since I am more European then most of these so called Canadians.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Who also have not enough interest in watching CPL.

Are you able to quantify this statement? How are you able to assess what groups do or do not care "enough" about CPL aside from maybe seat-watching CPL matches?

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Whichever media platform is used, not enough are watching the league.

How many would be "enough" in your eyes, especially considering that we never get reported numbers in the first place?

Edited by Mihairokov

7 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Are you able to quantify this statement? How are you able to assess what groups do or do not care "enough" about CPL aside from maybe seat-watching CPL matches?

How many would be "enough" in your eyes, especially considering that we never get reported numbers in the first place?

At the end of the day, the only "eyes" that matter are those of the investors and shareholders.  If they feel that they have "enough" eyes watching, there you go.

We aren't able to get numbers and demographic break downs for them.  That's why I asked about the viewing numbers for the league final.  

2 hours ago, fil said:

...I remember getting annoyed watching Canadian MLS teams and the only Canadian gets subbed off. I suddenly didn't want to watch it anymore. Watching a team full of foreigners does not appeal to me at all...

Although this is a commonly expressed sentiment on here this does not appear to be the way the mainstream sees it. TFC and Blue Jays fans have not migrated en masse to York Lions Stadium and Christie Pits to watch York United and the other less well known Toronto Maple Leafs to express their discontent on this issue. Doubt many Canucks fans will be checking out the WHL team in Langley either.

Their is an inferiority complex in Canada. You can talk to someone wearing NFL gear and mention CFL... they look at you like your talking about Mongolian wrestling.

It's bizarre that Canadians will support foreigners rather then support real Canadians. It's even worse that some of these Canadians have no true connection to USA or Europe. You don't have a real connection to the Dallas Cowboys or Manchester United. It's cosplay of another City and Country!

Foreigners are actually taking Canadian jobs in Canadian sports. People would be angry if we weren't talking about sports.

The issue is that many people only see success through social media or pop culture and they want to be associated with that: look at all the folks wearing PSG or Man City shirts who wouldn’t have been caught dead watching them 15 years ago.  

I don’t have any problems with people supporting a team (or another country) that they’ve associated with through family or whatever circumstance…but support Canadian soccer as well.  Unfortunately, there are not enough of them around.

But back to the main point: something like TSN/SN are still relevant but their power diminishes by the day.  The issue then becomes dozens of small players who have their own offerings and people are left to choose what they want to pay for (incl One Soccer/Fubo)

20 hours ago, fil said:

...Foreigners are actually taking Canadian jobs in Canadian sports. People would be angry if we weren't talking about sports.

Given the birthrate is only 1.4 children per woman rather than the 2.1 needed for population replacement, people from other countries have had to be attracted to Canada in large numbers over the last few decades to keep the economy growing. That can sometimes be a political talking point but never to any drastic extent because it's supported by a broad consensus of opinion across all of the major political parties.

Beyond that it's perhaps worth bearing in mind that soccer is a global game and there's no shortage of Canadians playing the sport in other countries:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mfyBdTWcz7Jk9i7IFim-6XLLLAuPPm8TGLqZNNKkfaQ/pubhtml#

Alphonso Davies could be said to be taking a German job in Munich but most soccer fans want their club to win trophies so I doubt many people in Bavaria are losing sleep over that if he helps them win games.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

14 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The issue is that many people only see success through social media or pop culture and they want to be associated with that: look at all the folks wearing PSG or Man City shirts who wouldn’t have been caught dead watching them 15 years ago.  

It's why PSG is opening up a store this week at 399 Queen in Toronto. First Euro team to open up their outlet in Canada. 

Toronto's PSG fan club gets 10-40 to watch club matches. But the attraction of PSG is also because it has become a fashion brand.

https://www.blogto.com/fashion_style/2023/12/psg-store-toronto/

Edited by red card

11 hours ago, Cheeta said:

^.  Fun fact.  Spend more on cable/internet/streaming services a month than I do on fuel.  Quite a bit more.   There's some dead weight in there to be sure but not much.  She watches this, I watch that, it adds up if you want what you want.

I certainly know what you mean.

And this is one part of my discussion that I bring up on this forum fairly regularly about the competition for your recreation dollar and time.  There is only so much disposable income to go around for all the fun things:  what's going to give you personally or your whole family the best bang for buck and time as you budget your household income? 

In these economic times, more and more individuals and families are really scrutinizing their bottom lines and are saying, "Can I really afford those season tickets or can I just go once in awhile?" or "Am I watching this cable or streaming service enough to justify the cost?" 

10 hours ago, red card said:

It's why PSG is opening up a store this week at 399 Queen in Toronto. First Euro team to open up their outlet in Canada. 

Toronto's PSG fan club gets 10-40 to watch club matches. But the attraction of PSG is also because it has become a fashion brand.

https://www.blogto.com/fashion_style/2023/12/psg-store-toronto/

That’s interesting; there’s a PSG store on Oxford St in Central London as well where there is no Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea or any other club shop around.