OneSoccer

Foreen

46 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

It's incompetent.  Plain and simple.

I don't think it's incompetence. I think they look at the cost/benefit and think that for the number of people watching later that it's simply not worth the $ to get it up faster.  And yes, I'm saying that "employing a few extra people to get it up faster" isn't worth it to them.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think it's incompetence. I think they look at the cost/benefit and think that for the number of people watching later that it's simply not worth the $ to get it up faster.  And yes, I'm saying that "employing a few extra people to get it up faster" isn't worth it to them.

They have edited highlight packages available immediately after the game but can't play the whole game again, which needs no editing or one edit to drop the half time segment?

Give me a break!

• 3 weeks later...

TVA announced it is eliminating 31% of it's workforce or 547 positions. This on the heels of 140 jobs cut in February.

Unlike others, TVA has been quite frank about the state of the Canadian broadcast industry:

The audiovisual and media landscape is undergoing major changes, to date unprecedented, caused by the globalization of television viewing due to the proliferation of digital broadcasting platforms (Netflix, Amazon Prime...) and by the gigantic absorption of advertising revenues by the Web giants (Google, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok..). 

The traditional television business model is thus disrupted on all levels: reduction in audience, reduction in subscriptions, reduction in advertising revenue, fierce competition and overbidding in terms of entertainment content and sports rights.

Foreign platforms also affect the media in terms of information by profiting from their journalistic content without paying them a fair share. Added to this domination is unfair competition from Radio-Canada, which behaves like a private broadcaster by competing for audience ratings and advertising revenue. Added to this are the obstinacy and anti-competitive actions taken by Bell Télé, which refused, for years, to pay the fair market value of TVA Group's specialty channels, particularly TVA Sports.  

The average television audience fell by 23% from 2015 to 2022 in Canada. In Quebec in 2022, cable television subs have declined by 12% since 2019. Conversely, the rate of subscribers to at least one paid online viewing service has increased by 15% since 2019. Among adults aged 25 to 34, only 49% subscribe to a traditional cable television service while 82% subscribe to at least one paid online viewing service, in 2022.

Traditional television advertising revenues in Canada decreased by 25% from 2012 to 2021. All private conventional channels in Canada are currently in deficit. In 2022, they have accumulated a deficit of $289 million. In 2022, TVA Group's French-language channels reached 40.8% market share, more than double those of Radio-Canada (19.9%) and Bell Media (19.5%).

https://broadcastdialogue.com/tva-group-to-eliminate-31-per-cent-of-workforce-in-reorganization/

The term "legacy media" has been used for the old guard slowly withering away.

First it was print media, magazines and newspapers. Second is radio that has been replaced by podcasts and streaming apps. 

Broadcast television is facing the same fate. Many complained about TSN and Sportsnet not covering CPL. Well eventually they will go the way of VHS and Betamax...

I enjoy the discussions on this media topic.

For me, on a personal level, it's not about how I access the content but rather it is all about how much I want to spend for the content and how much value I am getting for it during these high cost of living times.  There is so much paywalling and nickel and dime-ing for content, not to mention internet and cellular services, it surreptiously undermines your budgetting.  In replacing one significant cost (cutting the cable from traditional broadcast outlets) you replace it with something that at the start is more affordable and flexible but steadily becomes less accessible and more expensive.  That's the discontent I have highlighted in awfulannouncing.com and other articles from south of the border.

One Soccer being available on Fubo (EPL) would be a big plus for my viewing budget if I chose to go that route but Apple+/MLS Season Pass/The Messi Network wouldn't have me forking out to watch only MLS.  If it didn't have the freebies, all I would be watching is the highlight clips on Youtube, if that.

In related to OS, Jaume Roures the founder of Mediapro and one-time president has been pushed out. It's controlled 85% now by a Chinese conglomerate (here we have to be aware that volatile geopolitics in Canada could have consequences at some point), Roures says he'll sell his 5%. His co-founder and longtime associate Tatxo Benet is still highly involved. 

Roures is a creative, risk taking guy who often got over his head on deals, especially sports right. He's done better producing media content, films and series (better on the sense of more stable, maybe less rewards).

So Roures's forward thinking mentality is what created One Soccer, in part. So it's not incorrect to argue that Roures is a key person for the financial stability of the CPL. 

I also think people don't realize that he's very close to Enrique Cerezo, president of Atlético Madrid, who's also a media and film producer. So that the team in Ottawa is brokered by their alliance. We don't have ATL OTT without Roures i don't think.

Sometimes I'm blown away how little we seem to take advantage of this talent and know-how, but I'd also say that maybe the reason the CPL has weathered so many storms so far is because of the possible input of these organizations. In the shadows, but it's there.

Both Cerezo at Atletico and Roures at Mediapro have been big investors in women's football, Cerezo for 15 years, and the entire Project 8 with Matheson ignoring and dissing them shows ridiculous immaturity and short-sightedness beyond description.

Eventually, maybe, when we get past the gratuitous baiting of CSB, it'll all come clear.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, narduch said:

One Soccer made a deal with TSN to broadcast Sinclair's last CanWNT game on December 5

Going through the releases from Mediapro & TSN, both credit CIBC & VISA for the deal. Both will be lead sponsors on TSN's coverage.

About 30% of TSN's release is devoted to comments from CIBC & VISA execs. Mediapro also credits CSB for their help. 

TSN says they're producing their own pre-match show hosted by Lindsey Hamilton. Beckie interviewing Sinclair will be shown. Will also be on RDS. 

Mediapro has also sold rights to Australia's Network 10 & P+. Match will also be shown on FS2 in the USA, Flow Sports in the Caribbean & Sky Mexico - all of these are likely part of the existing rights package that includes CPL rather than new rights monies.

Edited by red card

1 minute ago, red card said:

Going through the releases from Mediapro & TSN, both credit CIBC & VISA for the deal. Both will be lead sponsors on TSN's coverage.

About 30% of TSN's release is devoted to comments from CIBC & VISA execs. Mediapro also credits CSB for their help. 

TSN says they're producing their own pre-match show hosted by Lindsey Hamilton. Beckie interviewing Sinclair will be shown. Will also be on RDS. 

Mediapro has also sold rights to Australia's Network 10 & P+. Match will also be shown on FS2 in the USA, Flow Sports in the Caribbean & Sky Mexico - all of these are likely part of the existing rights package rather than new rights monies.

I noticed TSN is doing a 1 hour pre game show.

36 minutes ago, fil said:

TSN just lost the UFC broadcast rights to sportsnet for next year... so they might have more space for Canadian soccer in the future...

87ypzj.jpg

If Sportsnet didn't have UFC last year and wasn't interested in airing CPL, I don't think TSN suddenly will.

55 minutes ago, fil said:

TSN just lost the UFC broadcast rights to sportsnet for next year... so they might have more space for Canadian soccer in the future...

87ypzj.jpg

The scuttlebutt is that TSN is freeing up cap room to split/share the NHL national rights with SN/streaming services while still having more/most of their regional rights.

This isn't that surprising. The one area that seemed safe until recently was broadcast channels with live sports. This isn't the case anymore. ESPN (which owns a small part of TSN) has had massive layoffs recently. Disney which owns ESPN wants to now sell it.

DAZN and FUBO are the future. Also many people don't want the "all you can eat" buffet style of broadcast television. Their is room for narrow focus streaming channels. Broadcast television will soon be viewed only by the elderly. At least cbc has cbc gem app. Cable is going the way of Blockbuster video store...

888m8v.jpg

888mek.jpg

888n0r.jpg

Edited by fil

Fubo Canada gets hockey rights.

If you live in the Niagara region, you can now watch over 40 Sabres games on fubo. It will be shown on the Fubo Sports Niagara channel. 

Sabres season ticket members can get a 30-day free trial. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-to-partner-with-fubo-to-expand-streaming-to-southern-ontario-in-multi-year-partnership

I dont understand the concept that CBC ESPN are cable stations and DAZN and Fubo are streaming services?

CBC isn't laying people off because people don't watch cable. They're laying people off because they suck

I would love to watch CBC whether it was a television station, on YouTube or a streaming service. For sports, entertainment or news. it's just all their programming is terrible 

Edited by SpursFlu

I would actually sort of agree. Television whether it is CBC or any other channel has alot of generic programming. And with viewership reduction they don't have the money to bid or build from new quality programming. 

I remember having cable and being annoyed at having so many channels yet it seemed their was little to watch. In today's world it is easily to be distracted so.... By the way have you seen the new GTA 6 trailer....

12 hours ago, fil said:

I would actually sort of agree. Television whether it is CBC or any other channel has alot of generic programming. And with viewership reduction they don't have the money to bid or build from new quality programming. 

I remember having cable and being annoyed at having so many channels yet it seemed their was little to watch. In today's world it is easily to be distracted so.... By the way have you seen the new GTA 6 trailer....

He's left handed, I never noticed before. Thanks.

Their was a time that getting cable was a significant event. But I question if the prime age of television ever existed and it's just nostalgia. It certainly is not getting better these days.

Outside of sports I can't remember looking forward to watching a television show in a long time. Even if cable is free, I don't want it. People use to steal it...

But I'm getting off topic for this forum. Of course we are all here to discuss the upcoming...

...GTA 6 game.

GTA 5 came out ten years ago! But  GTA online has been a license to print money for Rockstar games so they delayed the sequel. 

By the looks of the trailer, if anyone is starting anything in 2025 they will have heavy competition for viewership...

Wait a second, CPL has two new expansion teams. Nooooooooo!!!

I think cable television needs to fall back on being more regionalized and then similarly CBC definitely has an opportunity because by definition it's regional

I dont watch a lot of cable television but with Washington Huskies doing so well I found myself like when I was a kid watching the Mariners and Seahawks... watching KOMO for games and full coverage. I really enjoyed it. I also really miss the old Canucks coverage we got when Sportsnet and CBC had a Vancouver studio. It was much better. Go to Don Taylor or Kelly Hrudey when he was focused out of Vancouver 

Edited by SpursFlu

5 hours ago, fil said:

Their was a time that getting cable was a significant event. But I question if the prime age of television ever existed and it's just nostalgia. It certainly is not getting better these days.

Outside of sports I can't remember looking forward to watching a television show in a long time. Even if cable is free, I don't want it. People use to steal it...

But I'm getting off topic for this forum. Of course we are all here to discuss the upcoming...

...GTA 6 game.

GTA 5 came out ten years ago! But  GTA online has been a license to print money for Rockstar games so they delayed the sequel. 

By the looks of the trailer, if anyone is starting anything in 2025 they will have heavy competition for viewership...

Wait a second, CPL has two new expansion teams. Nooooooooo!!!