The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

19 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

"First, the work rate and athleticism of the youngster jumped off the screen as he tracked back and worked to regain possession. Whether this is Kovac’s doing or a result of being eager to impress, some of his attacking counterparts are much less willing to drop deep and help in defense."

That's how he's always played since day 1....hustling on both sides of the ball.

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Tops in the league last lear in balls won. I often found his defensive play the most impressivs part of his game. Ponder it for 1 second. A 17yr old was the top player in the MLS at winning 50/50 balls. Crazy

Let me add:

The same player that completed the most dribbles in a season (and all time I believe?) also won the most balls... at 17.  This is insane and paints the picture of a big fish in a small pond, probably deserving of a best XI spot.

Like has that ever happened anywhere?  The same player holding both those stats... I won’t even ask about that player being 17 because there’s no chance.

Edited by Keegan

42 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Little wonder that they're impressed with Davies tracking back on defense.

The last time Robben  won a  ball was probably taking it from a team mate who wasn't going to pass it to him.

lol

ps, is your username based on the book?

3 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Believe Mueller is out for both the Liverpool games.

With his increased playing time on the wings this is cery good for Phonzie. I am curious to know if Bayern fans still dislike Muellers placement on the wing

33 minutes ago, canta15 said:

With his increased playing time on the wings this is cery good for Phonzie. I am curious to know if Bayern fans still dislike Muellers placement on the wing

As far as I know they're pretty divided on Muller in general when the team isn't playing well. Unfortunately for Davies though Ribery is back training with the team. 

8 minutes ago, kohanz said:

I don't really get the sad reactions, to be honest. Is anyone else feeling like "Yes! He's already on the bench for the 1st team!". I mean when he was first signed people were talking about loans to a lower level.

For me, it's frustration with the context of how he's on the bench. If he's on the bench and any two of Robben, Ribery, and Coman are starting, I'm ecstatic that he's on the bench for such a world-class team. That he's stuck behind such a basic player as Gnabry, even accepting that it's only been 2 months, that I'm perplexed by. I've watched Gnabry play for Arsenal, Hoffenheim, and Bayern, and I've seen him have one decent match out of about 20 I've watched. Phonz should be easily leaving that level of player behind.

21 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

For me, it's frustration with the context of how he's on the bench. If he's on the bench and any two of Robben, Ribery, and Coman are starting, I'm ecstatic that he's on the bench for such a world-class team. That he's stuck behind such a basic player as Gnabry, even accepting that it's only been 2 months, that I'm perplexed by. I've watched Gnabry play for Arsenal, Hoffenheim, and Bayern, and I've seen him have one decent match out of about 20 I've watched. Phonz should be easily leaving that level of player behind.

Meanwhile Gnabry has scored..

I still maintain that his transfer was the beginning - not the end - of his biggest challenge.  People can talk about how Bayern is stumbling this year and down a few spots, but they are still Bayern Fucking Munich.  They are one of the biggest clubs in the world, and have depth at every spot.  Davies will have to work like hell, and improve in all those areas we know he needs to get better on to be a world class player.  Being on the bench and in rotation among elite players isn't a sad emoji for me - it is precisely what I want at this point as it will push him to be the absolute best player he can be.  If he walked into the first team and expected to start he wouldn't have the same pressures to perform that he is currently experiencing.  And it will be better for him - and for us - if those challenges force evolution.