The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

13 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

I loved how much the Fox guys were wanting Davies to see minutes. It may be a North America bias but any non-Canadian showing this much interest is fun to hear.

Other than the part where Alexi Lalas said:  "If he's successful at Bayern it's because of MLS, if he flops, it's because he's Canadian."  

? 

Just now, mpg_29 said:

He made a couple of runs with the ball when he first came on...then it seemed he switch sides and didn't really see much of the ball.

Any indication why Kovacs continues to select Gnabry, who's been rubbish every time I've watched Bayern play, ahead of Phonz?

10 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Any indication why Kovacs continues to select Gnabry, who's been rubbish every time I've watched Bayern play, ahead of Phonz?

I don't watch enough Bayern to answer this. From what I'm reading online Bayern supporters wanted Gnarby on sooner.

I only watched the last half but my overall take from the game is that Neuer not being on had a bit to do with them losing....two of the goals looked save-able imo.

Edited by mpg_29

11 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Because phonzie hasn't shown anything to say he's going to out preform Gnarby yet. Give it time, hopefully by the end of the season he'll be ahead of him.

37 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I've found that many of us Voyageurs have been a little eager with Davies. He's just made an absolutely huge jump to one of the toughest leagues in the world, at one of the best clubs in the world. Bayern are easing him into this, as they should. 

26 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

I've found that many of us Voyageurs have been a little eager with Davies. He's just made an absolutely huge jump to one of the toughest leagues in the world, at one of the best clubs in the world. Bayern are easing him into this, as they should. 

Don't forget that Gent's manager hated Canada but fortunately their club management was reading The Voyageurs and on our advice fired him in October in favour of a new manager who loves Canada!

You can say what you want about him, but the team in general is the poorest Bayern I've seen in years. It does not matter that he did not shine too much, the rest were poor. Agree with what's been posted about Gnabry, disappointing.

I think if his coach really knew the kind of player he was, he'd have come on when it was tied and Leverkusen still pushing. He'd have had space. After they went ahead, of course they could sit back and his advantage was lost. 

To the poster who argued about Neuer being out and that affecting things: I don't think so at all, none of those were typically high % stops, the keeper could not be faulted. 

7 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I don't watch enough Bayern to answer this. From what I'm reading online Bayern supporters wanted Gnarby on sooner.

I only watched the last half but my overall take from the game is that Neuer not being on had a bit to do with them losing....two of the goals looked save-able imo.

Which goals were saveable? First was a perfectly placed free kick, no keeper can cover all the net on a kick like that. The second is a 1 on1 break on the keeper in which Neuer did the right thing by rushing the attacker which is about the only thing he can do to have any chance but the finish was perfect. 1 on 1 with a perfect finish is a goal every time. The third one is a 2 on 1 with a pass to a player alone in front of the net which Neuer could do nothing about. I don't see how Neuer could have stopped any of these goals other than just being lucky. I have only seen the highlights but it looks like they just got outplayed and Bayer finished their chances and Bayern did not.

On the 3rd goal is that Davies who loses the ball? Looks a bit like him but the resolution of the video I watched is too poor to tell. Regardless the fault on that goal was the CB who went totally out of position for reasons I can not understand not the guy who lost the ball.

A poorer than usual Bayern may be a real opportunity for Davies to get in the lineup and establish himself more quickly than would usually be the case with a team of this calibre. I found this in a review of the game:

• In a lone bright spot, Alphonso Davies had a good outing. Within a few second of coming on, he won a corner. Later, he easily dribbled past two Leverkusen defenders and had to be pushed off the ball — however, the referee didn’t give the foul. The officiating was quite poor overall.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2019/2/2/18206972/bayer-leverkusen-vs-bayern-munich-lineups-live-stream-how-to-watch-bundesliga-updates-highlights

Edited by Grizzly

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Wasn't Neuer in the nets, @Grizzly, he was injured in training this week. It was Ulreich. 

That said, in this mediocre run of a season I don't see Neuer as one of the bright spots. 

Since this is replying to Griz, I personally hope they win nothing this year, let them burn in hell. I actually pump-fisted on the 2nd Leverkusen goal. 

Ok the other poster said it was Neuer so I just assumed it was him. Regardless I don't the keeper was at fault on any of the goals not even slightly. I hate Bayern but do have some respect for them in that they run the team very professionally but don't really follow them or the 1st Bundesliga that closely other than to look at the scores or occasional highlights. 1st Bundesliga is full of teams I either hate, feel indifferent to or mildly like. The more interesting teams and fanbases are in the lower divisions so I follow that more. When I lived in Germany I always enjoyed going to the lower division games more than 1st Bundesliga ones. So I follow 1st Bundesliga a bit but you probably watch more Bayern games than I do so can't really comment on how Neuer is this year. That will probably change a bit with Davies there though, ie. I guess I will have to cheer more for Bayern and will now have an interest in watching their games.

The free kick goal did look a little bit suspect. It didn't go over the wall, it went to the side the keeper should have been shading towards (though he decided to position himself nearly dead center), and it wasn't quite top corner. I know it's speculation and it was a decent strike, but I think Neuer saves that (both with better positioning and reaction, but it's Neuer).

https://streamable.com/k45pp

Edited by kohanz

3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

On the 3rd goal is that Davies who loses the ball? Looks a bit like him but the resolution of the video I watched is too poor to tell. Regardless the fault on that goal was the CB who went totally out of position for reasons I can not understand not the guy who lost the ball.

By the time of the 3rd goal Davies was playing on the right rather than the left (where IMO he had been more effective so I don't know why they moved him to the right) and no I don't believe he was involved in the play in question. I agree though that the fault on that goal was the insane move by the CB who started to run up the left side of the field for no particular reason when he couldn't have been sure that his team would have regained possession.

13 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Ok the other poster said it was Neuer so I just assumed it was him. Regardless I don't the keeper was at fault on any of the goals not even slightly. I hate Bayern but do have some respect for them in that they run the team very professionally but don't really follow them or the 1st Bundesliga that closely other than to look at the scores or occasional highlights. 1st Bundesliga is full of teams I either hate, feel indifferent to or mildly like. The more interesting teams and fanbases are in the lower divisions so I follow that more. When I lived in Germany I always enjoyed going to the lower division games more than 1st Bundesliga ones. So I follow 1st Bundesliga a bit but you probably watch more Bayern games than I do so can't really comment on how Neuer is this year. That will probably change a bit with Davies there though, ie. I guess I will have to cheer more for Bayern and will now have an interest in watching their games.

I said it was because "Neuer wasn't on" as in he wasn't playing. But maybe you took it figuratively not literally. Either way Neuer is one the best goalies in the world and I strongly suspect he would have saved one if not two of those first two goals.

4 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I said it was because "Neuer wasn't on" as in he wasn't playing. But maybe you took it figuratively not literally. Either way Neuer is one the best goalies in the world and I strongly suspect he would have saved one if not two of those first two goals.

Yes that is how I read it as him being off his game. Regardless I still disagree that he would have saved either of those goals though he might have set up the wall better on the first one.

18 hours ago, kohanz said:

The free kick goal did look a little bit suspect. It didn't go over the wall, it went to the side the keeper should have been shading towards (though he decided to position himself nearly dead center), and it wasn't quite top corner. I know it's speculation and it was a decent strike, but I think Neuer saves that (both with better positioning and reaction, but it's Neuer).

https://streamable.com/k45pp

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2018/10/14/17973622/manuel-neuer-germany-bayern-munich-play-decline-best-goalkeeper-in-the-world-no-more-confidence

That was written in October. In November they were still writing in about his streak of goals conceded. 

In any case, for a few years we at Barcelona have been perfectly aware that far from being the best in the world, he is not even the best for Germany.