The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

32 minutes ago, red card said:

Nope, this is Sportsnet. They leverage their content across all channels. So, they have shown afternoon weekday Bundesliga matches many times before. Though, this might be the first one since the opening weeks.

And most matches are always on Sportsnet World or online on Sportsnet Now.

SNW and SN Online are specialty channels that you have to pay for outside of the other SN channels? ...at least that is the package that I have. Pumped to have the opportunity to perhaps see Davies make his debut in B1

I think this may be a sign of things to come for Sportsnet. With them losing the EPL rights to DAZN, the only footy content they will have next season is Bundesliga. (I am assuming they still have those rights). So they may shift some games, especially Bayern matches featuring Davies, from Sportsnet World to their main Sportsnet channels. 

6 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

”I ve read that he played good, was very fast but his crosses werent precise enough.” 

One thing Davies could definitely improve (and I think he is, slowly) is his weak foot ability. If they had him on the right side and he was crossing with his weaker foot I'd expect the balls to be less accurate and with less pace. Hopefully he improves this, because I'm sure Bayern dream of Davies cutting in with speed and unleashing shots with his strong left foot.

Bayern has their M'bappe indeed. Once Phonzie starts to better acclimate to the speed of the Bundesliga, gains more confidence, and starts developing chemistry with his team mates then moves such as the one he displayed will be common from him. Many have their doubts still since he hails from MLS but if he can do stuff like that now while he is new (and clearly a bit nervous still) then wait to see what he'll do in a year or two. So far Phonzie has gone beyond expectations at every stage in his career, Bayern wont be any different

Edited by LeoH037

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Looking at Davies' skillset attributes, to which players would he be comparable, excluding M'Bappe?

In terms of his explosive speed, trickery and being left footed, I find him most comparable to a young Gareth Bale.  

M’bappe’s finishing and ability to create space in a congested 18-yard box was head and shoulders above Alphonso’s at his age. 

Edited by ghostknownunknown

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Looking at Davies' skillset attributes, to which players would he be comparable, excluding M'Bappe?

Sure you can look at skillset, but what I am saying is comparing him to France’s child prodigy leads to unreal expectations

12 hours ago, canta15 said:

Sure you can look at skillset, but what I am saying is comparing him to France’s child prodigy leads to unreal expectations

I don't disagree at all with this point, particularly with fueling unreal expectations.  I just think that top clubs are on the look out for a version of that kind of player (I shouldn't have definitively said "their M'Bappe", I own that one), who can take on and beat guys at pace on the dribble and who can make something out of nothing.  Bayern, with their interest in other top young wing prospects such as Hudson-Odoi, seem to be making this a tactical focus.

He'll learn a ton in this next phase of his career.  The biggest lesson will involve handling the weight of expectations. 

14 hours ago, canta15 said:

YSure you can look at skillset, but what I am saying is comparing him to France’s child prodigy leads to unreal expectations

Just putting this here so people understand the hype isnt just coming from hopeful canadian supporters.

"Earlier this year, German journalist Christoph Biermann published a book titled Matchplan. In it, Biermann pointed out that Davies was, statistically, the most likely prospect in the world to become a superstar in the mold of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. The book was a major succes in Germany and put Davies on the map among clubs in the Bundesliga."

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/vancouver-whitecaps-fc/alphonso-davies-completes-historic-transfer-to-bayern-munich/

8 hours ago, KW519 said:

I am pretty sure the quantity of tweets, special videos like this, him lifting the cup, is all related to something BM is seeing: major interest online for this player. And perhaps even in their merchandising shops, physical and online. Because for rather mundane things he gets a lot of love from their Communications Department. 

Since this cannot just be Canadian interest, or merely BM fans specifically, I am guessing they are seeing very positive metrics. 

In any case, if you look at the video, he is positionally spot on. His teammates are also right where they have to be in support as well, which of course he has never seen in his life. You can see when they get in deep he has the freedom to move inside as maybe the outside back takes up the outside space. He has the choice to take on defenders or play out. He is very precise with his passing, which is good, and not afraid to try something and it not work in the attacking third, which is what you should do. When he has space, he uses it. 

I am 100% convinced that for Bayern, Davies fits the type that is defined by Mbappe and Dembele, for speed, boldness, youth. What other "type" does he fit? I think you have to let him show his skillset before saying he is way inferior to this or that player. Mbappe has a lot of good performances vs. weak rivals, and also, as we saw in the WC, combined spectacular games with others he was invisible in. I don't think his talent should be entirely overstated, to the point of denying that for BM, that is what they are looking for, and to develop as well.