The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

I think people on here expected him to walk into this team.  I think he will be an integral part of this team's future, but maybe this chat group needed a quick dose of the reality.  Reality that is Davies is now playing for one of the biggest and best clubs in the world, regardless of the underwhelming performances this year.

Hopefully, we get the opportunity to see more of him in the remainder of games this season.

Edited by Corazon

Davies is still a teen, so expecting him to play every match is a far stretch. Even some of the world's biggest stars were not starters at 18. Maybe if 2-3 years later he stagnates or drops in form then we can worry. And unlike the clueless Americans, I enjoy Canadian media for not overhyping him and labelling him a "saviour of Canadian soccer."

One thing we CAN agree: Davies > Pulisic or any overrated Yank forever. Fight me on this.

28 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Davies is still a teen, so expecting him to play every match is a far stretch. Even some of the world's biggest stars were not starters at 18. Maybe if 2-3 years later he stagnates or drops in form then we can worry. And unlike the clueless Americans, I enjoy Canadian media for not overhyping him and labelling him a "saviour of Canadian soccer."

One thing we CAN agree: Davies > Pulisic or any overrated Yank forever. Fight me on this.

Since we often talk about comparable Concacaf players here, for age or projection, Diego Lainez, the 18 year old Mexican, has played a few games for Betis now and scored in Euroleague this week. He is more an attacking mid, but is very mature, confident, understands the game, needs to improve his physicality but, IMO, is in there amongst Davies, Millar, and, why not, Pulisic, as the most promising players from our confederation.  

As we stand, by the way, Pulisic is the real thing and Davies is still waiting to happen, I don't know why this should bother anyone but it's the plain fact.

Kovac: “Alphonso’s a really big talent from North America, who’s taking his first steps. He needs to be integrated into German culture, learn the language, and I have to help him become familiar with the playing system and the intensity. But he’s a player who sooner or later will become a very important part of this club and with his abilities I’m confident he’ll do it very quickly.”
https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/niko-kovac-on-lewandowski-alphonso-davies-and-bayern-catching-dortmund-3349-2384

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Since we often talk about comparable Concacaf players here, for age or projection, Diego Lainez, the 18 year old Mexican, has played a few games for Betis now and scored in Euroleague this week. He is more an attacking mid, but is very mature, confident, understands the game, needs to improve his physicality but, IMO, is in there amongst Davies, Millar, and, why not, Pulisic, as the most promising players from our confederation.  

As we stand, by the way, Pulisic is the real thing and Davies is still waiting to happen, I don't know why this should bother anyone but it's the plain fact.

JESUS CHRIST DOES ANYONE REALLY SEEM THAT BOTHERED BY THIS? EVERYONE HERE IS RATIONAL. LOOK, DAVIES MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE SECOND COMING...WHO KNOWS...I THINK IT'S A 99% CHANCE. BUT EVERYONE HERE IS TOTALLY RELAXED. 

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

JESUS CHRIST DOES ANYONE REALLY SEEM THAT BOTHERED BY THIS? EVERYONE HERE IS RATIONAL. LOOK, DAVIES MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE SECOND COMING...WHO KNOWS...I THINK IT'S A 99% CHANCE. BUT EVERYONE HERE IS TOTALLY RELAXED.

Is this all bold, upsized, all caps post supposed to be ironic? Because if so, it's hilarious :lol:

So Ribery's not with the team because of the birth of his child, Muller is suspended, Coman has a knock, and Robben is still injured... could we be seeing a few minutes of Davies against Liverpool? I'd think not, because of the level of implication he ha had so far, but the wings are thin right now so it remains a possibility.

Edit: Correction, Ribery has now joined the team.

Edited by Shakmur

16 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Who was the last Canadian (ahem, Canadian International) that made an appearance in the last 16 of the Champion's League?

Could Phonzie be trailblazin' again if he makes an appearance in the second leg, or is there someone obvious I'm missing?

Atiba last year. Besiktas lost 8-1 on aggregate to Bayern.

I think the only other one to make it to the last 16 is Stalteri 

7 hours ago, Strait Red said:

Atiba last year. Besiktas lost 8-1 on aggregate to Bayern.

I think the only other one to make it to the last 16 is Stalteri 

Tomasz Radzinski played in the last sixteen for Anderlecht, but back then, the last sixteen was played as a second group stage rather than as a straight knockout round.

2 hours ago, Yoginess said:

I don't expect Davies to be handed anything but it sure would be nice to have him get a solid 30 min run out in a league game against a lesser opponent. Doesn't have to a be a CL game, or a game against BD... just get more than 3 minutes.

His best bet is probably the second division side they play in the DFB cup at the start of April