The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:26 PM, cronaldo7 said:

I’m sure he would have came in if Bayern had locked up the win earlier. They were shaky at 2-1 and no way Kovac brings in Davies in a situation like that. 

The only opportunity was at the very end for the last couple minutes and he decided to throw in Boateng which could be for plenty of different reasons (ie. keeping Boateng happy to get a run in). 

We’ll see him soon enough. 

When I flipped the channel on, I saw a few minutes go by and then Leon Goretzka (sp?) scored his second goal and I got excited because I thought Davies was the one who crossed it......but it was David Alaba.

13 hours ago, Bdog said:

Bayern plays tomorrow at 9:30am eastern, it's only on Sportsnet World this time.

Aaaaaand I'll be sleeping still so I'll have to avoid spoilers and find a replay later.

Game is not on Canadian TV Sportnet World is showing the Dortmund - Hannover game , what’s wrong with this station really?

18 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

An official Bayern first team player. I know they wanted to get him on the field but still promising he's getting on ahead of Sanches

ehh I'm not sure I would read that much into it. Bayern was up 4-1 with 5 minutes left. In fact he was subbed in immediately after they got the 4th goal which made it seem less like a strategic sub vs "lets get Davies on few for a minutes with this 3 goal cushion".

Edited by mpg_29

4 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

ehh I'm not sure I would read that much into it. Bayern was up 4-1 with 5 minutes left. In fact he was subbed in immediately after they got the 4th goal which made it seem less like a strategic sub vs "lets get Davies on few for a minutes with this 3 goal cushion".

I think that's what he meant by "they wanted to get him on the field". I took his comment as "they were planning on getting him on if they were up by enough goals".

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I think that's what he meant by "they wanted to get him on the field". I took his comment as "they were planning on getting him on if they were up by enough goals".

I'm disputing the "still promising he's getting on ahead of Sanches" part...just don't think you take that away from that particular sub. 

I think it was effective. It takes away any pressure of the debut from the kid and the club. And he was not under pressure to perform, so it was a relaxing few minutes. He did not have to take anyone on, so he has not given anything away yet in terms of his skill set: they can still get a surprise factor next time. 

Despite the win, and I watched pretty well the whole thing (dozed off for about 15 m there), Bayern are vulnerable and have a lot of work to do. I don't really like how they are coached, they don't have proper control of a game for maybe 60 minutes, even vs. a team in relegation zone.