The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

If anything, I think this should temper expectations a bit.  In a game needing goals - with a squad that clearly showed they were taking the match seriously - he didn't see the pitch.  I have no doubt he will come good at Bayern, but at this point he is clearly not "the guy".  He will get his chances and hopefully make the most of them, but it is clear that the coach thinks he has some work to do.

I haven't seen much of Gnarby, but he is young, and as a winger has scored 21 league goals in the Bundesliga in 49 appearances over the last 2 seasons. He was at Arsenal, now Bayern Munich. He's a full German international. How shitty could he be?

If Davies put up those numbers, we'd be thrilled.

Edited by Bertuzzi44

4 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I haven't seen much of Gnarby, but he is young, and as a winger has scored 21 league goals in the Bundesliga in 49 appearances over the last 2 seasons. He was at Arsenal, now Bayern Munich. He's a full German international. How shitty could he be?

If Davies put up those numbers, we'd be thrilled.

This exactly.

Late cameo for Davies, on at the 88th minute for Gnabry.

Bayern win 3-1 and close the gap with Dortmund to 5 points.

Alphonso's only involvement was a run up the wing with the ball with some defenders on him, but his legs got a bit tangled and the ball bounces out of bounds - not after he ran the ball from the middle to the final third though, so killed a few more seconds.

Edited by Obinna

5 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I know but those subs are so dumb....it's just to kill time..

It is likely to get his feet wet in the Bundesliga in non-pressure situations so that when they start putting him on in more important pressure situations he is used to the level of play. The fact they are choosing him as the guy they want to put on in the final few minutes to kill time is a very good sign that he is projected to play a much larger role in the near future.

Just think it was the same team as the other day in the Cup, except for James, and then he is one of the subs. Obviously behind Ribery, who would occupy the left side, reason Alphonso was on the right. 

This week in Champions the team will be similar, though we'll see if they trust Davies in a match where you are calculating goals for the return leg much more carefully.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just think it was the same team as the other day in the Cup, except for James, and then he is one of the subs. Obviously behind Ribery, who would occupy the left side, reason Alphonso was on the right. 

This week in Champions the team will be similar, though we'll see if they trust Davies in a match where you are calculating goals for the return leg much more carefully.

Bayern doesn't play traditional wingers based on their strong foot.  Ribery is right footed and Robben is left footed but they play on the other wing because Bayern prefers them to have the defence on their heels with the wingers cutting inside on their strong foot.

Bayern will play Davies down the right side so he'll be up against Robben (injured) and Gnabry for minutes.

4 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Bayern doesn't play traditional wingers based on their strong foot.  Ribery is right footed and Robben is left footed but they play on the other wing because Bayern prefers them to have the defence on their heels with the wingers cutting inside on their strong foot.

Bayern will play Davies down the right side so he'll be up against Robben (injured) and Gnabry for minutes.

Fine, but in the first match he played, on the left. Then moved to the right. 

Last week, on the left.

Today, on the right with Ribery in. I realize you are right but I am not sure it will be so fixed.