The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Quite happy that he is making the bench, getting some time and training amongst some of the best in the world.  For most Canadians I would be in the get out on loan and play camp, but Davies is very young and will gain so much from his time at Bayern that even if he never stars for them, he will no doubt play on a team in a  top league and will have improved immensely. For most of our more mature players it drives me insane when they sit on the bench because they don’t/won’t improve nearly as much, but in this case it makes sense.  Would love to see him play some too but if the rest of his season is similar, I would be ok with that.

Perhaps Davies needs to play the rest of the year with the U23s and also needs a full pre season to become a viable option for Bayern. I won't judge him or the move until this time next year. There is a wide gap between MLS and Bayern and if he can bridge that gap in a year, it will still be a massive success.  

Just keep working Fonz. Nothing good comes easy and Rome wasn't built in a day.

11 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2019/2/24/18238337/bayern-munich-report-alphonso-davies-dropped-reserves-first-team-franck-ribery-kingsley-coman-injury

"It is not known whether Davies will continue training with the first team, or keep being named to matchday squads. If neither of these things happen, then his situation will be dire. Hopefully, this is just a measure to keep Davies match-fit, and there are some minutes coming up soon. Otherwise, Bayern Munich will have wasted €10m."

Good to see it is not just English fan sites that indulge in knee-jerk articles.  He needs to play football and then let's see what happens after more than a couple months. 

2 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Perhaps Davies needs to play the rest of the year with the U23s and also needs a full pre season to become a viable option for Bayern. I won't judge him or the move until this time next year. There is a wide gap between MLS and Bayern and if he can bridge that gap in a year, it will still be a massive success.  

Yeah to be honest I had assumed he would playing for the reserves from the start. Was kinda surprised that they were trying to get into the first team right away.

48 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I'd agree with this but he's been with the team since November, a few months before he could even play and was training with them so it's not like he was just dropped in.

Also the chatter on Twitter is that he did not have a good game at all for the reserves.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

"It is not known whether Davies will continue training with the first team, or keep being named to matchday squads. If neither of these things happen, then his situation will be dire. Hopefully, this is just a measure to keep Davies match-fit, and there are some minutes coming up soon. Otherwise, Bayern Munich will have wasted €10m."

Good to see it is not just English fan sites that indulge in knee-jerk articles.  He needs to play football and then let's see what happens after more than a couple months. 

I'd file this one under FAKE NEWS.  Kovacs literally just said before the Liverpool match that Davies is the future of Bayern and will be a key piece for years.  He just needs football clearly, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that he hasn't played a full match since November.  Expecting an 18 year old to just not play and then come in and make an impact at the highest level of the game is ridiculous.  

We haven't had a Canadian international at a giant club before - this kind of stuff is going to come out all the time.  Giant clubs attract all types of fans but especially fickle and sensationalist fans who need a knee-jerk reaction every time things aren't going perfect - it's why they follow a massive club.

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

True and he is only 18 , the only other thing     is the fact that he has hardly played any minutes so far so don’t know how one can access if he is ready to play in that league. I’ve never been a fan of just going by what someone does in practice. However, way to early to read anything into this.

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

Also the chatter on Twitter is that he did not have a good game at all for the reserves.

https://www.fupa.net/spielberichte/fc-bayern-muenchen-fc-ingolstadt-04-6364318.html

If I'm interpreting this match report correctly, he was voted Bayern's best player (Bester Spieler), ahead of Jeong who scored the hat trick.

43 minutes ago, Ansem said:

They also have undo the whole Vancouver "LB" experience. He was played out of position for a while. Getting back on his growth trajectory as a winger takes times and he needs the minutes.

MLS to Bundesliga is a gigantic gap.

Yes it’s a big jump MLS to Bundesliga , however , MLS players like Brian McBride, Clint Dempsey and even Landon Donavan who played a few years during the MLS offseason did well coming from the MLS to the English Premier League a comparable and could be debated better League than the Bundesliga. I would like to see for myself Davies play some major minutes in an actual Bundesliga regular season game to see if he is actually ready, rather than base it on the way he is performing in practise. I’ve seen and read about many players through out the years who would play like crap in practise but go on to shine when it came to playing in a real game.

Edited by 1996

Translations from the match ticker:

14' What a thing for Bayern: Davies is great on the left wing, but Wried does not bring the ball from close range below the goal ...

75' Goal for Bayern and what one: After a great attack on Davies and Türkkalesi Jeong rushes up and makes the 2: 0!

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

Yes it’s a big jump MLS to Bundesliga , however , MLS players like Brian McBride, Clint Dempsey and even Landon Donavan who played a few years during the MLS offseason did well coming from the MLS to the English Premier League a comparable and could be debated better League than the Bundesliga. I would like to see for myself Davies play some major minutes in an actual Bundesliga regular season game to see if he is actually ready, rather than base it on the way he is performing in practise. I’ve seen and read about many players through out the years who would play like crap in practise but go on to shine when it came to playing in a real game.

Phonzie isn't just playing Bundesliga, he is playing for one of the wealthiest, biggest, and best clubs in the world, damn right he isn't just going to walk into their starting line up. Lets keep things in perspective folk (not to mention that he literally just turned 18 a bit over 4 months ago)

He is just being given playing time while Bayern has pretty much a full lineup available with no injuries. For the rest of the year I suspect he will alternate between playing with the second team and sitting on the bench getting short appearances with the 1st team  which could become longer depending on the club's situation and how he does when he is playing. Bayern will bring him along slowly so he becomes a good player for them for the long term not someone who gets too much too soon and burns out. Nothing to worry about here.

And yes he was voted player of the game by readers of the article posted ahead of the Korean player who scored 3 goals so that indicates he had a very good game. Every mention of him in the article is also very positive.

14. Minute ließ Alphonso Davies seine Klasse aufblitzen. Das Top-Talent setzte sich auf der linken Seite grandios durch, doch Torjäger Kwasi Okyere Wriedt schaffte das Kunststück, das Spielgerät aus kurzer Distanz nicht im Ingolstädter Kasten unterzubringen. 

Nach einem herrlichen Spielzug über Alphonso Davies und Resul Türkkalesi hatte Wooyeong Jeong keine Mühe, aus sechs Metern das 2:0 zu erzielen.