The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Bayern is a big club so they will always be connected with player rumours but it sounds like there is still a healthy appetite to bring in more experience wingers ahead of AD. My hope is Davies proves enough in the next couple months that he’s a viable and valuable option off the bench. 

The longer the stay in CL the more league opportunities will open up. Though super disappointed he didn’t come in for Conan last week after his 10 min sub/injury. But they’re brining on ThomasMuller... 3 years ago we would have been awestruck that he was even on the same pitch..

Folk here really need to chill... Phonzie didn't move to just any Bundesliga club, he moved to BAYERN FREAKING MUNICH, of course he isn't going to be starting for them 2 months after he officially transferred.. the team isn't just made up of REALLY good player, its made up of freaking world class super stars... lets try to keep things in perspective no?

Might be the first chance Davies has for legit minutes! He did play against Monchengbalderfürtssldorf in the January friendly no?

EDIT: Bayern up 2-0 in the first half. With a critical CL match on Wednesday, if they can hold the lead a great chance for some young kids playing time. 

EDIT EDIT: andddddd Bayern concede...

Edited by Yoginess

3 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Might be the first chance Davies has for legit minutes! He did play against Monchengbalderfürtssldorf in the January friendly no?

EDIT: Bayern up 2-0 in the first half. With a critical CL match on Wednesday, if they can hold the lead a great chance for some young kids playing time. 

EDIT EDIT: andddddd Bayern concede...

The second leg against Liverpool isn't until next week.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Can anybody who watched give a summary of Phonzie's performance?

Had one simple pass and was played a ball that he had to bring down from the air and did well. The rest was just keeping good shape i'd say . Jeong had the more lively cameo 

Edited by KW519

1 hour ago, KW519 said:

Had one simple pass and was played a ball that he had to bring down from the air and did well. The rest was just keeping good shape i'd say . Jeong had the more lively cameo 

All the hype is about Davies, but I am not sure that he's better than Jeong. The South Korean 19 year old scored a hat trick for the second team the other day, and I have watched a few of the extended training videos of Bayern since January and that kid is extremely talented.

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

All the hype is about Davies, but I am not sure that he's better than Jeong. The South Korean 19 year old scored a hat trick for the second team the other day, and I have watched a few of the extended training videos of Bayern since January and that kid is extremely talented.

Probably why he is at Bayern, just like Davies! 

The only question is: whose training videos are better?? :D

3 hours ago, KW519 said:

Team had chances to play the ball to Phonzie but chose not to.  He worked hard during his time on the field and was the second sub after Sanches.  The play by play guy asked Kevin McKenna if he was from the same MLS team as Davies and McKenna got to mention the Calgary Foothills and Dino’s!  Guessing that may have been the first theme those squads were mentioned on a Bundisliga broadcast. 

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Probably why he is at Bayern, just like Davies! 

The only question is: whose training videos are better?? :D

Well yeah, some people train better than others, but I am not saying he trains better than Davies, or that his ceiling is higher than our beloved Alphonso. I am saying that I was impressed the moment I saw him and right now I am unsure Davies is better than him. I think he has just as much a chance to make an impact as Davies, yet Davies gets more hype due to the transfer and his phenomenal season at Vancouver and his god like pace. All rightly deserved, Davies has earned the plaudits!

As soon as I saw that kid though, I was surprised he hadn't cracked the first team, or earned a South Korea senior cap. The latter is coming surely. The message boards are reflective of what @KW519 is saying. He was the main talking point today as far as young players go.

Obviously I care more about Davies though. Wish I tuned in on time, but I missed him yet again. It looks Davies, Sanches and Jeong are the core of the new Bayern generation.

Still amazes me that we have an 18 year old coming off the bench for one of the biggest clubs in the world!

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

You're joking right? They play different positions... Jeong is a forward... his job is to score goals, and good thing the kid is really good at doing so which is why he is at Bayern... Davies is not a forward...

Edited by LeoH037

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Well yeah, some people train better than others, but I am not saying he trains better than Davies, or that his ceiling is higher than our beloved Alphonso. I am saying that I was impressed the moment I saw him and right now I am unsure Davies is better than him. I think he has just as much a chance to make an impact as Davies, yet Davies gets more hype due to the transfer and his phenomenal season at Vancouver and his god like pace. All rightly deserved, Davies has earned the plaudits!

As soon as I saw that kid though, I was surprised he hadn't cracked the first team, or earned a South Korea senior cap. The latter is coming surely. The message boards are reflective of what @KW519 is saying. He was the main talking point today as far as young players go.

Obviously I care more about Davies though. Wish I tuned in on time, but I missed him yet again. It looks Davies, Sanches and Jeong are the core of the new Bayern generation.

Still amazes me that we have an 18 year old coming off the bench for one of the biggest clubs in the world!

Davies got more hype because he dominated in a professional men's league which while not Bundesliga level still has a good level of play while Jeong transferred as a youth player of Incheon United to Bayern's second team without ever having played in let alone dominated K League. Last year Davies dominated in MLS while Jeong dominated in the German 4th tier. That does not mean Jeong is not as talented or does not have as much potential as Davies but his path so far has been less impressive because he has played at a much lower level and thus understandably gets much less hype. Since they play different positions, if Davies does well and Jeong ends up being as good as Davies that is only positive for Davies since having good players around him will help him succeed. We only have to worry if they bring in other players at Davies position but at the same time they will undoubtedly have other good players at Davies position, both veterans and youth players with potential. Part of being at a bit club like Bayern is proving yourself week in and week out while a lot of guys as good as or almost as good as you are trying to take your spot. 

11 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Team had chances to play the ball to Phonzie but chose not to.  He worked hard during his time on the field and was the second sub after Sanches.  The play by play guy asked Kevin McKenna if he was from the same MLS team as Davies and McKenna got to mention the Calgary Foothills and Dino’s!  Guessing that may have been the first theme those squads were mentioned on a Bundisliga broadcast. 

Oh that’s who that was McKenna , put the game on just before Davies came on and caught the part where the play by play guy asked the other guy what Canadian team he  had played on . When he answered Calgary Foothills I was like , who is this guy lol, so now I know cool.

14 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

You're joking right? They play different positions... Jeong is a forward... his job is to score goals, and good thing the kid is really good at doing so which is why he is at Bayern... Davies is not a forward...

I didn’t say they play the same position. For me, he is more of an attacking midfielder or second striker, actually.

That said, there are people who see him as a winger.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/woo-yeong-jeong-who-is-bayern-munich-s-south-korean-winger-518032.jsp

7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Davies got more hype because he dominated in a professional men's league which while not Bundesliga level still has a good level of play while Jeong transferred as a youth player of Incheon United to Bayern's second team without ever having played in let alone dominated K League. Last year Davies dominated in MLS while Jeong dominated in the German 4th tier. That does not mean Jeong is not as talented or does not have as much potential as Davies but his path so far has been less impressive because he has played at a much lower level and thus understandably gets much less hype. Since they play different positions, if Davies does well and Jeong ends up being as good as Davies that is only positive for Davies since having good players around him will help him succeed. We only have to worry if they bring in other players at Davies position but at the same time they will undoubtedly have other good players at Davies position, both veterans and youth players with potential. Part of being at a bit club like Bayern is proving yourself week in and week out while a lot of guys as good as or almost as good as you are trying to take your spot. 

Didn’t think I needed to preface what I am about to say, but clearly I do: Jeong and Davies aren’t the same kind of player.

Now that is out of the way...

In terms of talent, it depends on what exactly you mean. Is speed talent? Davies looks to have the best speed on the whole Bayern team. I think Jeong has better feet than Davies, who is a better dribbler than most give him credit for. It’s good to have a diversity of talents in any team!

The more important thing in your post is when you say that Jeong and Davies will make each other better. That is absolutely true, I believe. It is a good thing to see Jeong join Davies and Sanches in the first team, the younger Bayern can get, the better. The 3 will push each other other for sure!

On 3/3/2019 at 7:15 AM, 1996 said:

Oh that’s who that was McKenna , put the game on just before Davies came on and caught the part where the play by play guy asked the other guy what Canadian team he  had played on . When he answered Calgary Foothills I was like , who is this guy lol, so now I know cool.

You know you are old when...

On 3/3/2019 at 7:15 AM, 1996 said:

Same with me!  I didn't recognize the voice and had only been watching the last 15 minutes (or bits of it because there was an overlap with the TFC game).