U. S. Virgin Islands vs Canada , September 9th 4pm IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida

1 minute ago, SkuseisLoose said:

No I didn’t mean worth in money I meant it’s not worth the time of a player playing in Europe especially one trying to get a spot in their team to come and train in Florida and not play.

It’s an international break so they should be winning a spot with Canada.  A lot of guys go away anyways.. take Hoilett for example when he skipped in March he was vacationing. 

It would be a lot easier if we just played a legitimate opponent on the second date. We have the team together so what’s the excuse? It is a joke. 

I wonder what Herdman thinks of all this?  To me he talks a lot but I don’t know if he even buys what he’s saying because he’s probably thinking “I’ve managed one senior men’s game and I’m not getting friendlies and expected to get results...”

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

It’s an international break so they should be winning a spot with Canada.  A lot of guys go away anyways.. take Hoilett for example when he skipped in March he was vacationing. 

It would be a lot easier if we just played a legitimate opponent on the second date. We have the team together so what’s the excuse? It is a joke. 

I wonder what Herdman thinks of all this?  To me he talks a lot but I don’t know if he even buys what he’s saying because he’s probably thinking “I’ve managed one senior men’s game and I’m not getting friendlies and expected to get results...”

But can you really win a spot based on your play against the USVI?

It's something I said earlier this summer, but I don't value these games against minnows to make a true evaluation of our players.

That's why I felt, like you, that we needed to have in the same FIFA window, a friendly against a tougher opponent.

10 minutes ago, aloyol said:

But can you really win a spot based on your play against the USVI?

It's something I said earlier this summer, but I don't value these games against minnows to make a true evaluation of our players.

That's why I felt, like you, that we needed to have in the same FIFA window, a friendly against a tougher opponent.

No but you can come to camp and show your worth head to head against competition for your spot.  I agree that you can’t determine much of anything facing minnows. 

32 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I think it has to be majority mls and usl players because it’s not worth it to call someone from Europe to fly to Florida who has a chance they’ll play against the USVI.

That’s Why Canada should set up a friendly match after each nations league game there is no reason why they can’t there is enough time to do it other countries are doing it, and it gives more opportunities for the players to build chemistry playing together.

It is extremely painful to watch other nations like Jamaica and El Salvador play matches while we do nothing. I wouldn't mind as much if they addressed it, rather than pretending this level of inactivity doesn't require an acknowledgement....

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

It is extremely painful to watch other nations like Jamaica and El Salvador play matches while we do nothing. I wouldn't mind as much if they addressed it, rather than pretending this level of inactivity doesn't require an acknowledgement....

I’ve been asking for this for half a year now: can we do a voyageurs media release or letter to the CSA?  

This is beyond ridiculous, I can’t think of one legitimate excuse.  Even if you told me all the funds are going to CPL I wouldn’t be happy because it’s counter intuitive.. we’re starting a league to hopefully develop players but in the mean time we’re ignoring a golden generation that is already present?  Makes no sense. 

Herdman said in the press conference 

“We’re playing random friendlies in Spain vs New Zealand, for what purpose? I don’t know”

I understand these are official matches but they aren’t competitive enough 

The International window has always allowed 2 Matches and the CSA seems to love the 1 game and done idea 

USVI are ranked 199 

Dominica is ranked 177

Saint Kitts and Nevis - 135

and finally French Guiana - 119 

We are 79

From what I understand:

• Herdman will be playing attacking football, 3 at the back
  • For this match, roster selection will have a U23 focus. Certainly not exclusive to U23 by any stretch. But players that may not be at the senior team level may be receiving a call in preparation for 2019 Olympic Qualifying in replace of players not eligible for Olympic Qualifying
  • Expect squad rotation between Sept and Oct matches
  • Roster is finalized and players notified. Should be announced at end of week (assumption) or next week latest 

22 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

From what I understand:

•  For this match, roster selection will have a U23 focus. Certainly not exclusive to U23 by any stretch. But players that may not be at the senior team level may be receiving a call in preparation for 2019 Olympic Qualifying in replace of players not eligible for Olympic Qualifying
  • Roster is finalized and players notified. Should be announced at end of week (assumption) or next week latest 

This all seems very  promising!

28 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

From what I understand:

• For this match, roster selection will have a U23 focus. Certainly not exclusive to U23 by any stretch. But players that may not be at the senior team level may be receiving a call in preparation for 2019 Olympic Qualifying in replace of players not eligible for Olympic Qualifying

Thanks.  The U23 focus (if it doesn't backfire with a crappy result) would check off a few boxes: starting to integrate guys who will be key in the next 2 cycles, giving a cap to a few exciting prospects, potentially scouting guys on the cusp of a call, etc.

If I'm Herdman, I still call a strong squad, sprinkling in the top young prospects:

FW: Larin, Cavallini, David, Millar

Wingers: Davies, Hoilett, Tabla

Midfielders: Arfield, Osorio, Piette, Johnson

Wing backs: De Jong, Adekugbe, Edwards, Petrasso, Cordova

Center Backs: Henry, Jakovic, Tomori, James

Keepers: Borjan, Crepeau, Busti

Just make sure that Busti, Tomori, Tabla, Millar and David all see minutes

59 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

From what I understand:

Where have you seen he would use 3 at the back? I don’t remember him saying that.

From what I read he talked about playing attacking football but at Toulon and against New Zealand he played 4-3-3 so I would assume it will remain that way. 

4 hours ago, michaeltfc91 said:

If I'm Herdman, I still call a strong squad, sprinkling in the top young prospects:

FW: Larin, Cavallini, David, Millar

Wingers: Davies, Hoilett, Tabla

Midfielders: Arfield, Osorio, Piette, Johnson

Wing backs: De Jong, Adekugbe, Edwards, Petrasso, Cordova

Center Backs: Henry, Jakovic, Tomori, James

Keepers: Borjan, Crepeau, Busti

Just make sure that Busti, Tomori, Tabla, Millar and David all see minutes

I doubt Tomori will come even if invited though I do like your picks except maybe not so many veterans for the USVI game at least.

On 8/20/2018 at 5:31 PM, Blackjack15 said:

“We’re playing random friendlies in Spain vs New Zealand, for what purpose? I don’t know”

The International window has always allowed 2 Matches and the CSA seems to love the 1 game and done idea 

USVI are ranked 199 

Dominica is ranked 177

We are 79

Here’s an idea Herdman, play some strong concacaf opposition at home in friendles and than the purpose will smack you right in the head

18 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

From what I understand:

Where is this info coming from?

If the U23 focus thing is accurate, I wonder if this is a new strategy? Prioritizing the Olympics over youth World Cups. Following in the footsteps of the women, where they made names for themselves in the Olympics, which helped a lot for marketing the team and getting bigger crowds to games at home and of course increased merch sales, etc. I wonder what the TV ratings are in Canada for men's Olympic soccer vs men's U20 World Cup. Which one would have higher ratings, and does it make sense to focus our effort on that one, since the lack of popularity of the men's team is a very real problem.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

If the U23 focus thing is accurate, I wonder if this is a new strategy? Prioritizing the Olympics over youth World Cups. Following in the footsteps of the women, where they made names for themselves in the Olympics, which helped a lot for marketing the team and getting bigger crowds to games at home and of course increased merch sales, etc. I wonder what the TV ratings are in Canada for men's Olympic soccer vs men's U20 World Cup. Which one would have higher ratings, and does it make sense to focus our effort on that one, since the lack of popularity of the men's team is a very real problem.

Just my best guess, it would be the difference between an infomercial on chair lifts and an infomercial on exercise equipment. 

Here are  the last 4 matches played by US Virgin Islands: 

07/06/2016 Willemstad CUR / Curaçao 7-0 US Virgin Islands (Caribbean Cup)

04/06/2016 Charlotte Amalie USV / US Virgin Islands 0-7 Guyana (Caribbean Cup)

29/03/2016 Charlotte Amalie USV/ US Virgin Island 1-2 Grenada (Caribbean Cup)

26-03/2016 Philipsburg SIM / Sint Marteen 1-2 Us Virgin Islands ( Caribbean Cup) 

I do not think Canada needs such a strong team, rather a combination of veterans and young players. USV is one of the weakest teams in Concacaf area.

38 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Here are  the last 4 matches played by US Virgin Islands: 

07/06/2016 Willemstad CUR / Curaçao 7-0 US Virgin Islands (Caribbean Cup)

04/06/2016 Charlotte Amalie USV / US Virgin Islands 0-7 Guyana (Caribbean Cup)

29/03/2016 Charlotte Amalie USV/ US Virgin Island 1-2 Grenada (Caribbean Cup)

26-03/2016 Philipsburg SIM / Sint Marteen 1-2 Us Virgin Islands ( Caribbean Cup) 

I do not think Canada needs such a strong team, rather a combination of veterans and young players. USV is one of the weakest teams in Concacaf area.

I would say we need a strong team. I need to see Canada drop double digits on a team. Why not? Germany beat San Marino 13-0, Spain beat Tahiti 10-0.  Maybe we will get more respect. 

On 8/20/2018 at 3:31 PM, Blackjack15 said:

USVI are ranked 199 

Dominica is ranked 177

We are 79

Where are you getting that French Guiana is ranked 119th they are not a FIFA member and are not ranked, I just checked the rankings and they aren’t listed?

11 hours ago, Kent said:

Marketing is one way to look at it, but from a CMNT development pathway the U23's will encompass and help prepare far more future NT players than either (U17 or U20) youth teams. The point being the U23's are far closer to being established pros than the kids are so it's easier to figure out who to put your resources into.

Archived