U. S. Virgin Islands vs Canada , September 9th 4pm IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida

14 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

The game is an official break and it’s still an important match.  I want to see a top team out there.

Hoilett.   Larin.   Davies. 

Osorio.  Piette.   Arfield.   

De Jong.  Henry.  James.  Morgan. 

Morgan played RW for TFC last week and he’s been in good form this year.  

No he didn't. Although MLSsoccer.com shows he was on the right, it was actually Morrow that was playing RWB. 

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

No he didn't. Although MLSsoccer.com shows he was on the right, it was actually Morrow that was playing RWB. 

That was the game before. This weekend they switched and Morgan played on the right and Morrow on the left.

Seeing a lot of names mentioned that should be nowhere near a call.. this match may end up being huge for goal differential. 

Jems Geffard though? He would be about 20th on our CB depth chart.. Dover? Like come on there are so many Canadians out there ahead of these guys.  Cap tie blue chip prospects who can currently hang with the squad. 

42 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Seeing a lot of names mentioned that should be nowhere near a call.. this match may end up being huge for goal differential. 

Jems Geffard though? He would be about 20th on our CB depth chart.. Dover? Like come on there are so many Canadians out there ahead of these guys.  Cap tie blue chip prospects who can currently hang with the squad. 

Which blue chips do you think Herdman will call then?  And no cheating like baulderdash, you have to name a real RB. ?

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

That was the game before. This weekend they switched and Morgan played on the right and Morrow on the left.

Which I think was mainly a move to try to neutralize Edwards because in the previous game in Chicago Morrow on the right  was having trouble handling Raheem.

Morgan looked okay on the right defensively but unsurprisingly didn’t offer much going forward as he always wanted to cut into the middle using his left foot than take it wide and cross with his right 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

You mentioned playing guys to cap-tie them no?  Jems Geffard is getting good minutes in the Finish league.  Are we too good for that league now?

To say he would be 20th is extremely exaggerating....the fact that Vitoria 31, and Jakovic 33 are still making peoples mock lineups. 

The fact Straith was in the team as of last year...shows the CB and RB are our weakest depth spots....so please Keegs, name the 19 guys before him.

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

You mentioned playing guys to cap-tie them no?  Jems Geffard is getting good minutes in the Finish league.  Are we too good for that league now?

To say he would be 20th is extremely exaggerating....the fact that Vitoria 31, and Jakovic 33 are still making peoples mock lineups. 

The fact Straith was in the team as of last year...shows the CB and RB are our weakest depth spots....so please Keegs, name the 19 guys before him.

Jems Geffrard played for FC Montréal a few years ago, I believe. But hasn't he chosen to represent Haiti?

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

If you insist, but I’m telling you our problem isn’t depth at CB, it’s strong players we lack.. we have a ton of players around an adequate level.

Henry, Vitoria, James, Jakovic, Hainault, Edgar, Stanese, Straith, Ouimette, Attakora, Meilleur-Giguere, Cornelius, Didic, Kapor, Thomas,  Beckie,  Dunn, Sadiki, Roberts.. 

theres 19 guys at a usl or better level competing for spots plus there are more young guys and on the fence guys we don’t need to rush to cap tie a guy like Geffard playing in Finland where we have traditionally ignored players.

Players like Borjan, Arfield, Hoilett, Hutchinson and Larin we shouldn’t call them up as they have to deal with injury,  and solidifying a spot on the starting XI with their respective Clubs, Europe is a long season and they need to be ready 

i would like to see a North American based squad and of course youngersters who Herdman said would like to get a look at in camp and action 

Maxime Crépeau has been stellar this season with Ottawa and therefore he should start in goal as opposed to Simon Thomas and Jayson Leutwiler who haven’t no featured much at all

Would like to see the return of Lucas Cavallini and play him upfront, what he’s done in Liga MX with Puebla shows that he’s a forward who can put the ball in the back of the net and that’s what Canada needs

Will Johnson with Orlando City in MLS has gotten a lot of playing time as a Right-Back and it’s worth giving him a call up as he’s been very consistent compared to Petrasso. Aird or Cordova could be an option 

Last but not least I fully support the idea of calling up guys like Millar, David, Eustaquio, Brault-Guillard 

most likely not for this match but I am waiting for the moment where Tomori, Ferreira can commit! The CB position has always been a weakness 

45CB958D-D54B-4875-A0E6-447C24CA2F22.jpeg

On 8/3/2018 at 4:16 PM, Blackjack15 said:

Players like Borjan, Arfield, Hoilett, Hutchinson and Larin we shouldn’t call them up as they have to deal with injury,  and solidifying a spot on the starting XI with their respective Clubs, Europe is a long season and they need to be ready 

i would like to see a North American based squad and of course youngersters who Herdman said would like to get a look at in camp and action 

Maxime Crépeau has been stellar this season with Ottawa and therefore he should start in goal as opposed to Simon Thomas and Jayson Leutwiler who haven’t no featured much at all

Would like to see the return of Lucas Cavallini and play him upfront, what he’s done in Liga MX with Puebla shows that he’s a forward who can put the ball in the back of the net and that’s what Canada needs

Will Johnson with Orlando City in MLS has gotten a lot of playing time as a Right-Back and it’s worth giving him a call up as he’s been very consistent compared to Petrasso. Aird or Cordova could be an option 

Last but not least I fully support the idea of calling up guys like Millar, David, Eustaquio, Brault-Guillard 

most likely not for this match but I am waiting for the moment where Tomori, Ferreira can commit! The CB position has always been a weakness 

45CB958D-D54B-4875-A0E6-447C24CA2F22.jpeg

Johnson has been consistent. Consistently bad... Not a solution for RB. 

Given the very limited number of times we get our players on the field together, I am not a fan of using a North American squad only for these kinds of official matches - even if they are against opponents we should beat.  I would rather use these matches to cap a couple of promising youngsters, to establish more familiarity amongst the core squad, to give the boys a chance to buy into Herdman's system, and maybe to try some alternate formations like 3-5-2 that would let us have Cav and Larin on the field at the same time.

Only problem with 3-5-2 is we don’t have 3 good CB and it would require us to take one of our central midfielders (strength of the roster) off the field.  

It moves our 2 best attacking options - Hoilett and Davies - away from the attack and saddles them with huge defensive responsibility.

Piette, Osorio and Arfield is a potent 2 ways central midfield who can actually control the game and initiate the attack.

No the 3-5-2 is about as bad of an option as we have.  4-3-3, 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 is best for us with our optimal talent.  They’re all about the same formation.

1 minute ago, baulderdash77 said:

Only problem with 3-5-2 is we don’t have 3 good CB and it would require us to take one of our central midfielders (strength of the roster) off the field.  

It moves our 2 best attacking options - Hoilett and Davies - away from the attack and saddles them with huge defensive responsibility.

Piette, Osorio and Arfield is a potent 2 ways central midfield who can actually control the game and initiate the attack.

No the 3-5-2 is about as bad of an option as we have.  4-3-3, 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 is best for us with our optimal talent.  They’re all about the same formation.

Fair enough.  I just mention it as an example.  Lots of us have been clamouring for a formation that lets us use both Cav and Larin together, so I really just picked the most obvious one.  

I just think these games - especially in the seeding round - are a great opportunity to try some stuff in a relatively safe environment.

Firstly, don’t want Johnson on this team within 100 metres. Don’t want players pickig and choosing when to rep their country.

Also, I believe Houlett would want to play considering it is right near his family.

Lastly, again im not a fan of the idea of players settling into their team as we do it every year and we have little to no chemistry. We need these players at almost every camp

35 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I could not disagree more.. a 3-5-2 is a great formation when you have depth in central defence but no stars.. see TFC 2017.  Also, it doesn't take a central mid off the field.. it takes 2 wide options off.  Davies at LWB is an option but I wouldn't put Hoilett at RWB.. leave that for the half dozen options we have at that position.

--------------Larin---Cavallini----------------------

---------------------Hoilett-----------------------------

----------------Arfield----Piette----------------------

Davies------------------------------------Petrasso

----------Vitoria--Hutchinson--Henry--------

-----------------------Borjan---------------------------

Edit: How about Arfield at RWB and put Osorio in his spot in CM?  Lots of options but I feel this is our best formation to get the most of our team.  

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Keegan- Agree to disagree.  I think a 3-5-2 keeps our best players out of position to succeed or off the field in pursuit of having Cavalani and Larin together.  On a net basis I think the cons are more than the pros.

*edit* sorry that was a jerky post so I edited it.

I also think a 3-5-2 is just sort of hip and modern right now but I can see how you could see otherwise.  We definitely do have a lot of wide options these days so it's tough to have 2 as opposed to 4.  

4 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

No Hoilett, Cavallini or Vitoria then either I guess eh?

Don’t think cavallini’s showing up anyways but yea you got me

On 8/5/2018 at 10:06 AM, canta15 said:

Firstly, don’t want Johnson on this team within 100 metres. Don’t want players pickig and choosing when to rep their country.

Also, I believe Houlett would want to play considering it is right near his family.

Lastly, again im not a fan of the idea of players settling into their team as we do it every year and we have little to no chemistry. We need these players at almost every camp

I have not been the biggest supporter of WJ over the years, but given his injury history and personnel issues over the last few years (ie divorce) I am inclined to cut him some slack and give him another chance. Not saying he's a penciled in starter but he's experienced, versatile and a fierce competitor, not something we are in a position to discard lightly.

Will Johnson is tough to leave out because the guy is just such a warrior/competitor, this is a guy who will break a leg 30 seconds into a match or in injury time to make a play.  As long as he's okay with being a secondary option... if he wants to be whiny tell him goodbye.  

Archived