U. S. Virgin Islands vs Canada , September 9th 4pm IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida

On 8/21/2018 at 1:18 PM, hamiltonfan said:

From what I understand:

• Herdman will be playing attacking football, 3 at the back
  • For this match, roster selection will have a U23 focus. Certainly not exclusive to U23 by any stretch. But players that may not be at the senior team level may be receiving a call in preparation for 2019 Olympic Qualifying in replace of players not eligible for Olympic Qualifying
  • Expect squad rotation between Sept and Oct matches
  • Roster is finalized and players notified. Should be announced at end of week (assumption) or next week latest 

I don't understand this, at all. 

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't understand this, at all. 

He’s saying that some u23 players who aren’t at full MNT level will be called in place of guys who are full MNT level.

so basically using this and Toulon as all in one youth camps.. 

Assuming that it's an U23 team with a few senior players sprinkled in:

GK - Busti, Crepeau, Pantemis

D - Godinho, TMG, Cornelius, Edgar, Dunn, C.Gutierrez, Petrasso

M - Davies, Fraser, Daniels, Verhoeven, Telfer, Shome, M.Choiniere, Twardek

F - Reid, Millar, David, Ricketts

I picked a lot of U23 players because of their U23 experience. It would make sense that players from that pool would be in contention. Some Toulon call ups in that group too.

Exceptions are: 

Reid - hasn't played for us at any level by the looks of it, but has gotten a lot of time at Ottawa while on loan from FCD. 

Also, isn't he eligible for another country, or no? Great chance to bring him in / cap-tie.

Godinho - don't believe he has U23 experience, but he's a 97 so he's eligible as far as I know. Plus he's already earned a senior cap and has done quite well, so I would think he'd be called to a camp like this. Additionally, he hasn't been able to get back into the Hearts team since his off-season surgery, so a good chance to get a game.

C.Gutierrez - A little fun surprise pick. No indication that now is the time he joins, or even if he wants to join, but ultimately I think he's ours. This is more wish than prediction.

Older guys:

Telfer - Obvious. Must cap. Don't want to lose him to T&T. He's shown enough that I believe he is an MLS squad player at bare minimum. I think he can get even better too.

Crepeau - Great season with Ottawa. Has a few senior caps already. We need at least one keeper with senior experience.

Petrasso - he is on the outside looking in with the Impact. Supposedly going on loan. Perhaps he gets the call for this as one of the senior players who are sprinkled in.

Ricketts - Also not getting much MLS time, but has tons of experience and will set the standard and expectations for the rookies.

Edgar - same as the NZ camp. Chance to come in and work his way back into the pool. Perfect leader for this young group I think.

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Assuming that it's an U23 team with a few senior players sprinkled in:

GK - Busti, Crepeau, Pantemis

D - Godinho, TMG, Cornelius, Edgar, Dunn, C.Gutierrez, Petrasso

M - Davies, Fraser, Daniels, Verhoeven, Telfer, Shome, M.Choiniere, Twardek

F - Reid, Millar, David, Ricketts

I picked a lot of U23 players because of their U23 experience. It would make sense that players from that pool would be in contention. Some Toulon call ups in that group too.

Exceptions are: 

Reid - hasn't played for us at any level by the looks of it, but has gotten a lot of time at Ottawa while on loan from FCD. 

Also, isn't he eligible for another country, or no? Great chance to bring him in / cap-tie.

Godinho - don't believe he has U23 experience, but he's a 97 so he's eligible as far as I know. Plus he's already earned a senior cap and has done quite well, so I would think he'd be called to a camp like this. Additionally, he hasn't been able to get back into the Hearts team since his off-season surgery, so a good chance to get a game.

C.Gutierrez - A little fun surprise pick. No indication that now is the time he joins, or even if he wants to join, but ultimately I think he's ours. This is more wish than prediction.

Older guys:

Telfer - Obvious. Must cap. Don't want to lose him to T&T. He's shown enough that I believe he is an MLS squad player at bare minimum. I think he can get even better too.

Crepeau - Great season with Ottawa. Has a few senior caps already. We need at least one keeper with senior experience.

Petrasso - he is on the outside looking in with the Impact. Supposedly going on loan. Perhaps he gets the call for this as one of the senior players who are sprinkled in.

Ricketts - Also not getting much MLS time, but has tons of experience and will set the standard and expectations for the rookies.

Edgar - same as the NZ camp. Chance to come in and work his way back into the pool. Perfect leader for this young group I think.

That would be a great lineup for a game vs. USVI. I might think about some other players too. If Godhino is not healthy enough, I might think about RB Brault-Guillard with Lyon or RB/CB Emile Legault with Celtic.

Although Jacob Shaffelburg is playing PDL, I think he deserves a call-up given his connection to the Bundesliga.

Maybe I'm overthinking, but CB Nikolas White was promoted to U19 FC Nurnberg in the Bundesliga. He might be deserving of a call-up too.

I'm sorry, but this is a game where goal difference will be important.  If we end up with 10 points, I'd rather be at +11 than +7.  That could make all the difference in the world.  I'm fine with 5-6 U23s on the roster, and 2-3 in the starting 11.  That's it.  The rest need to be "big guns".

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

He’s saying that some u23 players who aren’t at full MNT level will be called in place of guys who are full MNT level.

so basically using this and Toulon as all in one youth camps.. 

I hope this isn't the case.  I don't see how taking these games lightly can be good for us.

The irony is that people have often said that we are disadvantaged by our lack of qualification games, and now that we have a qualification game, some are advocating to send a weak squad. 

How many points will the 10th place team have?  I'm not certain that 9 points is enough, and so no slip ups can be allowed.  As much as finishing in League A would be great, I think that Gold Cup qualification is much more important.

54 minutes ago, RJB said:

The irony is that people have often said that we are disadvantaged by our lack of qualification games, and now that we have a qualification game, some are advocating to send a weak squad. 

How many points will the 10th place team have?  I'm not certain that 9 points is enough, and so no slip ups can be allowed.  As much as finishing in League A would be great, I think that Gold Cup qualification is much more important.

Yep, agree. We need to blood young players - and being cynical cap tie a few - but we need to bring a decent squad, with maybe 5-7 young players. Let these guys learn from the core of veterans on the squad what it's like to be a professional and what it's like to approach an international match. Let them experience a "real" MNT camp. Let them be chastised by the veterans when they do something wrong, and praised when they do something right (or even if they display a positive attitude)

Players like Busti and Choiniere may turn out to be decent/good pros, but they really don't deserve to be on the MNT right now. I think if we treat this like a U23/U20 team we never progress.

For what it's worth I would bring David, Millar, Verhoeven, Telfer, TMG and maybe Fraser. I'd call up Akinola too. 

Honestly I think we are going to see a squad that is strong enough to earn a decisive victory (Arfield, Pierre, Osorio, Larin, Hoilett, Cavalini etc) but also integrate some of the high level youth players (Millar, Cornelius, Busti, Brault, Legault, David) for cap tie opportunities but also exposure to his systems and style of play which he says in all the interviews that U17 and up will play. Makes sense to me esp with U20 qualifiers this fall and Olympic qualifiers next year. I think that will be the general trend for the  first round of nations leagues matches with Hopefully a few dual national conversions into the mix before / for gold cup after the upcoming euro youth championships when the likes of Tomori and estaquio may be more open to considering a return to canada

The national team isn’t a training squad.. it seems like quite a few are fine with guys who aren’t playing for their clubs coming in to get game time.  Maybe if we played 10 matches a year but as this is just our second game and it is a qualifier we need a strong squad. 

I think it’s a joke that guys who haven’t earned it are going to be called because we are too cheap to have a proper u23 or u20 camp. We finally have a good pool of capable players and they won’t be called because of this .. we should be looking to win 10+ to nil and go viral.  We can jump from Alphonso press to press about us crushing a squad in a qualifier.

Also Herdman is talking about the passion he expects for playing with the national team. Even if he was reaching out to fence sitters at the first sign of a player not being decisive about playing for Canada I get the impression he will say screw you and move on to someone who genuinely wants to be there.  Bring a strong squad with a few potential cap ties of youngsters who want to be a part of the squad.

41 minutes ago, Keegan said:

The national team isn’t a training squad.. it seems like quite a few are fine with guys who aren’t playing for their clubs coming in to get game time.  Maybe if we played 10 matches a year but as this is just our second game and it is a qualifier we need a strong squad. 

I think it’s a joke that guys who haven’t earned it are going to be called because we are too cheap to have a proper u23 or u20 camp. We finally have a good pool of capable players and they won’t be called because of this .. we should be looking to win 10+ to nil and go viral.  We can jump from Alphonso press to press about us crushing a squad in a qualifier.

7 hours ago, RJB said:

For the record guys, I am not happy about calling such a young squad, nor am I advocating for it.

However, if @hamiltonfan is right and that's what's going to happen, we might as well reflect that in our squad predictions.

That's what I was doing here.

On 8/21/2018 at 4:24 PM, HochelagaFC said:
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

For the record guys, I am not happy about calling such a young squad, nor am I advocating for it.

However, if @hamiltonfan is right and that's what's going to happen, we might as well reflect that in our squad predictions.

That's what I was doing here.

Where have you seen he would use 3 at the back? I don’t remember him saying that.

I expect to see a mix. More U23 than standard for a senior “qualifier” to support Olympic programs.

Info is direct for personnels with the circles. Love our group here and our passion so I share as much as I can. Please do not go overboard / read too much into anything. Always straight forward as possible.  

Maybe I’m in the minority here but for me this is about build chemistry and momentum. Rome wasn’t built ins day and if herdman can really pull these guys together and get hem playing to system then let’s really give him a chance and see what he does. We are always it seems so quick to judge.

The German and Belgium rebirth of their programs took 7-8 years. I think the game in Florida is a great time To do that to be patient and play the long game. IMHO

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

Judging from history, I don’t want it to happen but I can easily see us wanting to let our star players rest at home and “not ruin their club season” 

12 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

yes chemistry as spitfire says. 

To be honest I don’t think the odds of a blowout are higher with Haber and Ricketts out there instead of David and Millar, for example. 

Yes, but those are fringe guys ... of course, I agree David and Millar should be called over Haber and Ricketts.

But I'll give you 7 names: Larin, Hoilett, Davies, Arfield, Osorio, Piette, Borjan (I'm leaving Hutch out for now, since who knows what his future is with the MNT).  Of those 7, I want *at least* 5 in the starting line-up.

1 hour ago, Addona said:

Yes, but those are fringe guys ... of course, I agree David and Millar should be called over Haber and Ricketts.

But I'll give you 7 names: Larin, Hoilett, Davies, Arfield, Osorio, Piette, Borjan (I'm leaving Hutch out for now, since who knows what his future is with the MNT).  Of those 7, I want *at least* 5 in the starting line-up.

Heard that Hutchinson is injured and won't be called / available. All in all I think it will a strong squad youth included. Also heard that Cavalini will be there. Perhaps we'll see a a front three with Cav, Larin and Hoilett. That would be cool with Oso, Davies and Afield attack minded as well. Just hoping there is good vibes in camp with the top guys there and a decent stream for the match. We have been waiting for a while have a feeling this LON will be the start of real forward progress for MNT. Fingers crossed.

25 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Heard that Hutchinson is injured and won't be called / available. All in all I think it will a strong squad youth included. Also heard that Cavalini will be there. Perhaps we'll see a a front three with Cav, Larin and Hoilett. That would be cool with Oso, Davies and Afield attack minded as well. Just hoping there is good vibes in camp with the top guys there and a decent stream for the match. We have been waiting for a while have a feeling this LON will be the start of real forward progress for MNT. Fingers crossed.

I really hope Cav is there.  Whether justified or not, there seems to be lingering doubts about his interest level.  Herdman successfully getting him into a lower profile game like this would put to rest that kind of thinking.  Plus the idea of him and Larin playing together is something many of us want to see - especially in a game like this.

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I really hope Cav is there.  Whether justified or not, there seems to be lingering doubts about his interest level.  Herdman successfully getting him into a lower profile game like this would put to rest that kind of thinking.  Plus the idea of him and Larin playing together is something many of us want to see - especially in a game like this.

And he might be able to pot his first CMNT goal and get that monkey off his back.  

Archived