U. S. Virgin Islands vs Canada , September 9th 4pm IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our CB depth is quite poor.  I think we only have 5 experienced players and Henry is probably in the best club situation of that group.  I think 3 of those 5 will be CPL players next year.  Yikes!

Henry is playing well and at a decent level in MLS

James played well last year in Hungary D1 and is in Denmark D1 where he will start.  I think CPL bound next year.

Straith is in B3 and will play lots of minutes.  I think CPL bound next year.

Jakovic lost his starting spot at LAFC in June and has only been on the field 1x since that.  CPL bound next year on the downside of his career.

Vitoria finished last season as a starter in the Polish 1st division and looks likely to be the same this year.

17 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

And I would imagine when he gets to Denmark D1 on a team that regularly plays in the champions league the last thing he is going to do is go to CPL in its inaugural year. 

Didn't even notice that part, no kiddin'!

I forgot about Andre Hainault.  He had a big season getting his team promoted to B2 last year and is in position to do the same for his new team this year.  I don’t know if he figures much into the national team plans but he’s been a consistent loyal player for us the last decade.

7 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Our CB depth is quite poor.  I think we only have 5 experienced players and Henry is probably in the best club situation of that group.  I think 3 of those 5 will be CPL players next year.  Yikes!

Henry is playing well and at a decent level in MLS

James played well last year in Hungary D1 and is in Denmark D1 where he will start.  I think CPL bound next year.

Straith is in B3 and will play lots of minutes.  I think CPL bound next year.

Jakovic lost his starting spot at LAFC in June and has only been on the field 1x since that.  CPL bound next year on the downside of his career.

Vitoria finished last season as a starter in the Polish 1st division and looks likely to be the same this year.

I wouldn't bank on Jakovic going to the CPL just yet.

First of all, how much is he making in MLS? 150k? Is any CPL team going to pay him that? I am not sure.

From what I can gather, salary cap will be like 1.5M. To drop 1/10th of that on a CB who is 33 is not something I see happening in 2019, but we'll see I guess. 

Secondly, who's to say LAFC won't extend his contract? He lost his starting spot but he also showed he can do the job if required. Depth players are important. He's done well when called in. Knows the coach. Knows the club. 

I see LAFC wanting to bring him back for the right price. Even at 120k he is good value and I could see another club in the league making him an offer if LAFC don't extend. 

CPL is far from certain for Jakovic. - at least for 2019.

On Vitoria, I think we have to see how he starts the season before we write him off. Are we in the position to tell him to kick rocks? I don't think so.

He's been in and out of his club side for years now. Mostly out unfortunately, but it hasn't really adversely affected him with the national team. I mean, he's been pretty consistent. You know what you're getting with Vitoria and he hasn't made any big blunders or cost us games. He's experienced. He's a threat on set pieces.

I don't see us passing over him in the immediate future unless he plays his way out of the team.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

On Vitoria, I think we have to see how he starts the season before we write him off. Are we in the position to tell him to kick rocks? I don't think so.

He's been in and out of his club side for years now. Mostly out unfortunately, but it hasn't really adversely affected him with the national team. I mean, he's been pretty consistent. You know what you're getting with Vitoria and he hasn't made any big blunders or cost us games. He's experienced. He's a threat on set pieces.

I don't see us passing over him in the immediate future unless he plays his way out of the team.

Yep. At centerback at the moment, if a player is playing even semi-regularly, we use him. 

I'm a big support of James and Henry. There is no doubt they have the raw athleticism and physical size to be quality CB's, in addition to aerial threats on set pieces.  Hoping they both keep getting minutes, stay healthy and continue to improve. 

For 2022, as of right now... both those two IMO are high on the depth chart.  I do hope we can add Tomori at some point.

Jonathan David  - Really hope we call him and see him feature (dual national). He saw minutes in the Toulon Tourney as an 18 year old and did not look out of place.  

Currently part of Gent in Belgium, played half of last season with Gent's 2nd team and bagged quite a few goals. 

Last weekend got called up to the 1st team (2nd game of year), came on as a late sub down 1-0 and he scored the equalizer at the death for Gent to make it 1-1.

Especially if one of Larin or Cav do not come. I would be very disappointed if we do not see him there.

Kid is only 18, in a club with a strong tradition in Europe, and has been improving since he signed with GENT, hence being called on as a late sub on the 1st team.  Has a very high ceiling IMO, and seems to be in a spot that is working well for him, from what I have heard very humble and nice individual.

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Wouldn’t it be safer to cap tie the guy eligible for England?  David isn’t going to Haiti.. if he is he’s insane so we’re probably better off anyway.

At least we wouldn't be losing Millar to a direct rival.

38 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Wouldn’t it be safer to cap tie the guy eligible for England?  David isn’t going to Haiti.. if he is he’s insane so we’re probably better off anyway.

in theory but i suspect david is higher for haiti than millar is for england (i thought it was ireland?) at the current time

Archived