U. S. Virgin Islands vs Canada , September 9th 4pm IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida

5 minutes ago, mluciani said:

Anybody called up yet? Or has there been any reports out there that someone was called up? Find it odd by now we should have some names out there.

Its still nearly 3 weeks away. Probably next week we'll start to hear rumblings of who is selected or not, with the full squad released likely right before September.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm bored so I decided to make a line-up. Herdman, from what I remember, seems to play a 4-3-3. Just some notes detailing my thinking...

• I think Wotherspoon will be called and probably used as a substitute. I think players like Osario, Arfield, and Piette probably start ahead of Wotherspoon on CB.
  • While I would love for Tabla to take the RW spot, I put Hoilett and David there because Tabla has yet to commit. I think David is more of a CF too, but I figure to include him in the squad, he could be penciled in there.
  • Injuries have been factored into account, so Godhino and Kaye have been omitted. 
  • I have started Hutchison at CB, as this idea has been floated around the board. I think he could be solid back there. 
  • At RB, Brault-Guillard should start over Legault based on being 1-2 years older. I am not sure if Petrasso has done enough to solidify himself as the go-to RB. I think if we were playing a stronger nation, Petrasso would probably start. Seeing as how we are the favourites, I thought it would be a good idea to promote Brault-Guillard and Legault to the first team. I realize this is a weak argument, and so in all likelihood, Petrasso would probably be invited with one of Brault-Guillard or Legault.
  • I want Tabla (F), Kadioglu (M), Tomori (CB), Eustaquio (M), Ferreira (CB) and C. Gutiérrez (LB) to join to address some our our weaknesses. I'm allowed to dream.

551467749_lineup(3).png.d9770aed93abb0a949ca8052d81de446.png

What are your thoughts? Where do you agree, where do you disagree?

Larin -------------------- Cav

Davies-----------Osorio-----------Hoillet

Arfield 

deJong ----- James ------Hutch -------- Henry

Borjan

I am not much of a formation geek.  And I am sure that there are issues with this.  But I would love to see a formation that lets us use   Cav and Larin at the same time - and I just can't justify sitting any of the others playing mid or higher.  

I cant argue with anyone you've picked Namaste (except for hutch at CB), but experience tells me we never get the entire squad out, especially with the european leagues just getting into swing and MLS in the playoff push.  SO I would guess we'll see a couple of the starting 11 stay with their clubs, ie Larin or Cavallini, Arfield or Hoilett, Davies or Osorio etc etc.  So we might see Godinho (if healthy enough, Cordova, Edgar, Awuah, Akindele, AJH and maybe 1 of the Choiniere brothers round out the call ups.   

4 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

He is. Since he played official youth competitions for Scotland, he had to file his one-time switch. 

Right, forgot about the one time switch 

For Canada I think he’s a depth player, someone who either just makes the selection or does not

Next Year for the Gold Cup

The Pre-Roster will be of 35 so 12 will be cut 

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Arfield 

Borjan

I am not much of a formation geek.  And I am sure that there are issues with this.  But I would love to see a formation that lets us use   Cav and Larin at the same time - and I just can't justify sitting any of the others playing mid or higher.  

Solid just don't like Henry at rb, than again what are our other options

5 hours ago, canta15 said:

Solid just don't like Henry at rb, than again what are our other options

Don't think Henry should play RB based on previous experience with him there. Petrasso was pretty poor defensively when he first came to the Impact but has started to be better recently so it seems like he is learning the position. Sagna will take some of his playing time but will also be a great guy to learn from and between being backup RB and playing wing Petrasso should still pick up some minutes with the Impact. Both Petrasso and Henry probably have the skill to be right backs but watching Petrasso struggle defensively and especially with positioning when he first arrived with the Impact shows how important it is for players to have training and playing time in a position.

17 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Arfield 

Borjan

It's a nice lineup but my concern is if that midfield will defend well enough. May need piette or Kaye(if healthy) there

5 hours ago, badname22 said:

It's a nice lineup but my concern is if that midfield will defend well enough. May need piette or Kaye(if healthy) there

That was the one thing I was conflicted with, but I just don't know who I would drop to insert a defensive midfielder.  If the intent is to have Larin and Cav together on from the start (and it is since it is my line up), none of the other attackers are expendable.  With Osorio's year it would be hard to justify dropping him to the bench, and Arfield is always one of our most dangerous players.

I am very open to playing Hutchison at CB.

I think Osorio and Arfield can handle this level of competition pretty easily, but against semi-competent teams they'd get run over. So I'm not sure whether we should go for goals or go for consistency when it comes to our line up.

40 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I am very open to playing Hutchison at CB.

I think Osorio and Arfield can handle this level of competition pretty easily, but against semi-competent teams they'd get run over. So I'm not sure whether we should go for goals or go for consistency when it comes to our line up.

You are assuming that Hutch even comes.  At this point in his carer we are lucky to see him suit up at all.  I really dont expect him to be in both of these fall window CONCACAF games.  We better get used to winning these games without him.    

54 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That was the one thing I was conflicted with, but I just don't know who I would drop to insert a defensive midfielder.  If the intent is to have Larin and Cav together on from the start (and it is since it is my line up), none of the other attackers are expendable.  With Osorio's year it would be hard to justify dropping him to the bench, and Arfield is always one of our most dangerous players.

I dont think you have to worry about it nam, one of those 4 starters you mentioned in midfield wont show.  But just to make it harder for you though, what if Piette doesnt come...who do you stick in def-mid then (kaye out for season)??   And for RB,  Petrasso played fairly well in the gold cup, why cant he handle USVI??     

45 minutes ago, Addona said:

One guy no one brings up anymore is Mallan Roberts.  I see that he’s playing USL, and I remember people raving about him a few years back. What happened???

Roberts just returned from injury, just played his first couple games of the season.  Last year he was a mainstay for Richmond.  But if we are dipping into USL levels we can talk about Beckie, Didic (making the 18 alot but no games for SKC), Skyler Thomas, Attakora etc.    

27 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

I have a feeling they will do a camp in Alliston (North of Toronto) before flying to Tampa Bay and then taking a bus to Bradenton at IMG Academy 

I hope so, I’m a few miles up the road from Allison and would like a chance to go down to watch a training session.

With Busti rumored to be called, who do you think the other keeper(s) will be?

It's a single match, and it's not a friendly, so I presume we are limited to 3 subs.

Thus it is likely only one keeper will play.

And if we call Milan there is no chance he doesn't play I would think.

Perhaps Busti and a domestic keeper like Crepeau would battle it out?

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

With Busti rumored to be called, who do you think the other keeper(s) will be?

It's a single match, and it's not a friendly, so I presume we are limited to 3 subs.

Thus it is likely only one keeper will play.

Maxime Crepeau has been excellent this season with Ottawa in the USL

22 Starts, 1980 minutes played, 11 clean sheets, & 75% SV 

Showing consistency and regularity which helps him grow his game 

Considering his age too (24) 

Jayson Leutwiler (28) & Simon Thomas (29) haven’t played much this season with their respective teams 

Busti might be the future so happy to see him get a look

pehaps call up Quillan Roberts who is LAFC’s 3rd choice Goalkeeper 

Archived