U. S. Virgin Islands vs Canada , September 9th 4pm IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

This has got to be a first for one of our players

Liam like I, have great pride in being Canadian, we always talk about playing for where your heart lies.

There will always be people who talk about careers decisions and such(playing for England being better for your career) but in the end he loves Canada and was born there it made him who is today and that's why he is proud to pull on the red. His career will take him where it is supposed to. 

I always say when the national anthem plays, play for the country that gives you chills... I get chills ever time O' Canada plays and so does he... 

Liam has a had a great preseason at LFC is fit and ready to go. Their first PL2 game is this weekend vs Brighton.

I as he, wants to be selected because he deserves it not because you want to cap tie him. He won't play for anyone else...  

From what he was able to do against new Zealand he deserves a call, every time.  What Herdman plans do to with the rosters/callups its hard to say.  Personally I'd like to see a younger squad for these first few qualifying games. Especially if some of the older guys that have been, lets say "hesitant" are wanting to stay with their clubs.  It has to be a nice boost to a u-20 kid to get the call to the full CMNT and show what they can do internationally.  

I suspect the youth movement in MNT under Herdman will get underway with Nations League this fall and Millar, among other youth players like Cornelius, Godinho (if healthy) etc will earn regular call-ups moving forward. Team chemistry is a priority for Herdman so figure he’ll want these guys together often ahead of Gold Cup and WCQ. Positive stuff. 

I think I would select David mainly because he plays in a senior pro league and Millar doesn't for now. Also, David has never played on the senior team and Millar has. I think, you want him to learn from older players and see how it works with other players like Millar has been able to do in March.

2 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

John Herdman just used the words "real", "matter" and "genuine" about 327, 191 times to describe the CNL. We get it John, take it easy big guy.

Yeah, I still have no sense of whether or not the guys will buy into his concepts or if they will think it is all fluff.  Would have been nice to hear something more concrete about the guys he sees in the picture for the competition - European based players, young guys to call up and possible cap, dual nationals, etc.

16 hours ago, spitfire said:

Liam like I, have great pride in being Canadian, we always talk about playing for where your heart lies.

There will always be people who talk about careers decisions and such(playing for England being better for your career) but in the end he loves Canada and was born there it made him who is today and that's why he is proud to pull on the red. His career will take him where it is supposed to. 

I always say when the national anthem plays, play for the country that gives you chills... I get chills ever time O' Canada plays and so does he... 

Liam has a had a great preseason at LFC is fit and ready to go. Their first PL2 game is this weekend vs Brighton.

I as he, wants to be selected because he deserves it not because you want to cap tie him. He won't play for anyone else...  

Posts like this warrant a 'Love' option. Liking it just doesn't cut it :D

9 minutes ago, Bikerack said:

If every player committed, who would you keep in thE starting 11 and who would you take out and replace them with?

Borjan to me always gives his all for Canada. I like him to start until his play declines.

To be a bit more realistic I suppose, I would keep all the defence the same except Ferreira because he's injured, I think. I threw James in there because he is an aerial threat.

I really know nothing about the midfielders. If Flores actually becomes a star, then he should play regardless of age. I'm not sure if Estaquio is better than Osorio or Arfield. Hoilett is in there because of that goal he scored vs Jamaica (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF70LhFrr3I). I think Wotherspoon is probably the weakest of the bunch.

Davies is a lock to play. And I reckon Tabla would be too. And although Larin or Cavallini should probably start instead of Millar, I like his pace and haircut.

1233721450_lineup(1).png.53903e09de067ac40d1e987124953ef1.png

8 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

That’s a good list of players that could suit up for Canada; just one question, who’s Flores? Everyone else I recognize 

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/chance-meeting-in-cayman-islands-resulted-in-ipswich-town-signing-canadian-wonderkid-marcelo-flores-1-4863207

15/16 year old with Arsenal now but ironically discovered in Cayman Islands.  I’d be interested to see him play because he doesn’t look like an athlete but that’s high praise in the article.  Funny how the Ipswich scout mentions De Vos, Forrest and Yallop but then says Simeon Jackson played for Ipswich when he played for their rival.. he must mean Peters. 

Cap tying might not be a bad idea if he’s as good as the article claims and his dad was a pro in Mexico.. But still too young I think, we always hear about these wonder kids at big clubs who then disappear.  

The fact they call him a wonderkid makes me suspicious because generally that means the people have no clue what they’re talking about (see Hanson boakai) and they’re impressed by a little skill from a youngster.  But he has been plucked by Arsenal now so...

On 8/8/2018 at 2:13 PM, spitfire said:

for the record Liam has turned down 3 call ups to England... for the record...

Thx for sharing. True to his word in his interview, "dream to play for Canada" . 

Reading your post made my night, so thank you again.

Archived