CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

5 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

... Rightfully so. I'll expect Davies there as I don't think the whitecaps will be in the playoffs. 

But for David, if he's getting pro valuable minutes, I rather that than a youth tournament. 

Reality is with youth world cups, only a few a players have world class careers, the other handful will be domestic stars, and the massive rest become journeyman. (Do a where are they now check). 

My level of importance for Canada is performing on the world stage on the men's team. I think youth teams is about giving player's who are unnoticed chances, as it bring attention to them to get them signed elsewhere...If a player (David) is already playing and performing against grown men - what's the point in jeopardizing that? 

I know I'm a little indifferent than others on this, but I just don't see the need to have a guy doing triple time as a MNT/YNT/club player. 

I want to see Millar, Reid, Hundaal, Bair,  etc. 

How is a player going to get noticed if we don't qualify for tournaments? I think you need players like Davies and David to help the team as a whole, which makes the team go farther and in turn makes everyone look better.

We should absolutely call our best players. If a team won't release them until the international window that sucks, but we should still bring them in.

I think you and others are overvaluing the importance of qualifying for FIFA youth tournaments.

3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

How is a player going to get noticed if we don't qualify for tournaments? I think you need players like Davies and David to help the team as a whole, which makes the team go farther and in turn makes everyone look better.

If you look at the squads of past cycles of this tournament, you'll notice that not a lot of players gets noticed by first division top European league (Noticed meaning that they were playing domestically, went to the tournament, showed out and signed elsewhere). Only the Brazilians and Argentinians who historically produce elite talent, is where you will find some anomalies, other than that the majority of players end up staying in their domestic leagues or making "lateral" moves.

I also think a lot of you are devaluing the deep investments made by clubs for their global scouting networks. Reason why I said ....

I think youth teams is about giving player's who are unnoticed chances, as it brings attention to them to get them signed elsewhere...If a player (David) is already playing and performing against grown men - what's the point in jeopardizing that? 

My perspective being, if a player like Shaan Hundal who started playing professional soccer at 17, and has amassed 68 caps and 15 goals. Isn't it more valuable to the program that players like him, who aren't internationally noticed get the opportunity to be noticed vs bringing in a player like David (18) who has been scoring in Europe and in Belgium, or Davies who's signed for 1 of the top 5 clubs in the World. 

Football is all about opportunities, so why limit them for the sake of qualifying?

Oh yea to add....take a look at Canada's U17 squad that qualified for the World Cup 

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

9 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Actually If Canada wins Group D then will face Mexico and Guatemala  in Group H. As a winner or runner up , Canada would qualify to Poland 2019. Basically Canada needs to beat Panama  ( round 1) and Guatemala  ( Final Round) to be once again in a U20 WC....

This, except I think it's worth noting that it's Guatemala/El Salvador. I don't know if there is that clear a favourite between those two nations (at least traditionally, not sure about this specific cohort).

13 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Let's not get too over-confident, remember Canada hasn't accomplished sh!t all in nearly 20 years lol

We did qualify for the U17 WC in 2013! And we were the first country for a goalie to score! That is an accomplishment lol

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

...interesting to see the consensus is around here.

Should Ballou play/go? (I don't think so, based on my sentiments mentioned earlier) but I will say a front four of Davies - David - Millar-Ballou would be interesting to see. 

It’s most efficient for our program if they all go and then we can assess our 98 and older options at their spots.  It would be a different story if we played more than one match at senior level but I think this is better for everyone.. even us as fans as it will force Herdman to use his depth aka Ricketts, Akindele, Fisk, Edwards, Aird.. those guys along with Hoilett shouldn’t have a problem.  If they don’t get a look now, when can they?  You have to assume March is a full A squad with u20 guys so this is almost like a final look for older guys.

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

They should all go.  Let's qualify!.

That would be ideal. But to me, it would be perfectly understandable if players like Davies and/or Ballou are given or take a pass on the national youth u20 squads.  These players are at Barcelona and Bayern munich.  We have never had players with that kind of pedigree before.  And, the development opportunities that can accrue from playing at these kind of clubs clubs is more important for canada than whatever we can achieve as a nation at the u20 level. 

You would really hate to see these guys miss out or be absent and loose opportunities at their clubs just because they came back to north america in order to play some u20 qualifier against some concacaf island minnow. 

Ps.: now, for the olympic qualifying tournament,  I might think otherwise.  I have never been big on this event mostly because there are only two spots available from concacaf.   But this time might change my mind, if you can get two players of this pedigree. 

Edited by Free kick

8 hours ago, Free kick said:

That would be ideal. But to me, it would be perfectly understandable if players like Davies and/or Ballou are given or take a pass on the national youth u20 squads.  These players are at Barcelona and Bayern munich.  We have never had players with that kind of pedigree before.  And, the development opportunities that can accrue from playing at these kind of clubs clubs is more important for canada than whatever we can achieve as a nation at the u20 level. 

You would really hate to see these guys miss out or be absent and loose opportunities at their clubs just because they came back to north america in order to play some u20 qualifier against some concacaf island minnow. 

Ps.: now, for the olympic qualifying tournament,  I might think otherwise.  I have never been big on this event mostly because there are only two spots available from concacaf.   But this time might change my mind, if you can get two players of this pedigree. 

Assuming that the Whitecaps are missing the playoffs, Davies won't be playing any club games during November and December. The only question with him is whether he plays U20s or for the full national team. Tabla's unlikely to get into a senior game at Barca, during those 2 weeks, so we may as well as put him in the same boat as Davies.

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Assuming that the Whitecaps are missing the playoffs, Davies won't be playing any club games during November and December. The only question with him is whether he plays U20s or for the full national team. Tabla's unlikely to get into a senior game at Barca, during those 2 weeks, so we may as well as put him in the same boat as Davies.

Both should play if possible and why not both the MNT and the u20's? Tabla should be capped first and then can show his skills at the U20's. If the 'Caps don't qualify Bayern will be happy to see Fonzie get some games before joining them in Munich. 

29 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I think Herdman and Biello will push to get the best to suit up for the U20 tournament. (Tabla, Millar, Davies, Busti, Brault-Guillard)

The challenge will be to get Gent to release Jonathan David.

I’m pretty sure Brault-Guillard is not  eligible for the U20 because he was born in 1998 

13 minutes ago, canta15 said:

If all of the above players played that would be extremely exciting

There is some cheap real estate in Bradenton. 

Given the number games we have there, i think the V's should invest in some real estate. 

Voyageurs AirBnB....