CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

I think for sure you leave them off.. let’s be realistic the only guys who are a danger of being held back seem to be David and Davies.  Millar and Busti are youth players and Tabla isn’t going to come.  If a keeper is left off you could wait for them but if Davies, David and Millar are held back we have to cut our losses with at least one 3 is too much.. we have guys like Hundal, Reid, Bair etc. Who could adequately fill in.

I guess we'll find out who gets released when the tournament squads are announced, it's pointless to argue over speculation. Either way, we're going to have to get the job done without at least a couple of our best players.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

So Guadeloupe and Martinique could knock us out of World Cup Qualifying even though they aren’t allowed to qualify. I’m going to have to study that format when I get some time.

Yeah, I find that puzzling. If Guadeloupe win the group, does the 2nd place team qualify instead? Or am I missing something? Or both?

25 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yeah, I find that puzzling. If Guadeloupe win the group, does the 2nd place team qualify instead? Or am I missing something? Or both?

I would think they can win the tournament, just like their senior squads did play in the knockout round of the GC in the past. 

6 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I'm suggesting that i'm not holding my breath on a number of our top players being available before the window opens. We'll have to beat Martinique and Guadeloupe (who may or may not have good teams) possibly without Davies, David, Tabla (if the rumours are true) and maybe Millar or Busti if their clubs are dicks about it. Does the CSA leave any of those guys off the team if they can get them when the window opens?

Haven't heard anything about this.  Is the idea that he may continue to rep us at youth level since it still wouldn't commit him at senior level?

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Haven't heard anything about this.  Is the idea that he may continue to rep us at youth level since it still wouldn't commit him at senior level?

Yeah it was rumoured he wanted to play at the Toulon tournament. There are some kids (friends of his) from PQ that should be part of this U20 and apparently he wants to be a part of that. We'll see, his agent blocked the Toulon participation. Since IC are out of the U20's he's got nothing to lose here.

edit: Was it even maybe Herdman who mentioned it?

Edited by jpg75

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I guess we'll find out who gets released when the tournament squads are announced, it's pointless to argue over speculation. Either way, we're going to have to get the job done without at least a couple of our best players.

Anyway the final round games will be inside of the FIFA window. Maybe clubs are more opened to release youth players

2 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Anyway the final round games will be inside of the FIFA window. Maybe clubs are more opened to release youth players

If you don't make it to the final round getting your players released becomes meaningless. Pretty sure all of the Panamanian kids are domestics so they have an advantage.

If we have a squad of 20 players, I'd only pick those who can play in the group stage. It's way too risky to bring a potential star like David who could not even feature. If it's at 23, I might gamble more on having an elite youth player or 2 to have on the team if something happens. 

Haven’t poured over the inter web but I believe teams are allowed to make adjustments to their roster after group stage, similar to gold cup where I think it is up to three players can be exchanged for knockout phase.  IIRC last summer Larin was brought in for the quarterfinal and Edwards was sent home. If that is the case then I’d expect squad rotation during group play and there to be a plan to bring “re-enforcements” during the FIFA window if Canada looks to be on the cusp of advancement. 

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

If you don't make it to the final round getting your players released becomes meaningless. Pretty sure all of the Panamanian kids are domestics so they have an advantage.

It's fine, it's a youth tournament. Yeah playing a game or two more is great but I wouldn't put too much stock into results.

10 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

It's fine, it's a youth tournament. Yeah playing a game or two more is great but I wouldn't put too much stock into results.

Really ??!?? You wouldn’t put too much stock into this ? This  tournament is a qualifier for the U20 World Cup. This group of players is so most lucky going being the core group for  The Olympics in 2020 , 2022 and 2026 world cups. U17 and U20 worlds cups are important for the program. The expectation should be qualify for World Cups at any level! No more  loser mentality ! We finally have top end talent to show the world. I think it’s BS if we can’t get our top guys! European teams get their top end youth players. I hope the CSA and Herdman demand for these players. 

10 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

All I'm saying is, yes it would be great to win but I wouldn't gripe too much if Davies is kept off the team because he's in the senior squad or other players are held back by their club because they are actually getting minutes. 

All North American players should be  available, because the season will be over. Also Davies transfer doesn’t not happen until Jan (  someone correct me if I’m wrong please). Davies should be good to go! Also they don’t have to play him every game. They can manage his mins

Edited by SpecialK

44 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

All I'm saying is, yes it would be great to win but I wouldn't gripe too much if Davies is kept off the team because he's in the senior squad or other players are held back by their club because they are actually getting minutes. 

I think it’s best to think in terms the squad. Yes it might be fine for those individuals, but it’s far, far better for this group as a whole to push through and advance to the World Cup. That being said, I wish they wouldn’t have to miss club games. These are important times in their careers.

Edited by C2SKI

So yeah, I just got the time to read about the format. Seems to me if Guadeloupe and Martinique were drawn in different groups it would have opened up the possibility of them each winning a group and then each of the other group winners advancing to the World Cup before the second group stage begins. As it stands now, if one of them makes it to the top 2 of the second group stage I would have to assume there would be a “fifth place game” between the second group losers to see who makes it to the World Cup.

8 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

If Davies or anyone else is called up to the senior squad that's our own doing, but if our team is put a disadvantage AGAIN because the tournament is poorly formatted then that's a pisser. When i learned this tournament would take place partially within a FIFA window i was optimistic, but now it's just more of the same crap. Players used to be released for U20 qualifying until FIFA decided to put an end to that, since then we've stopped qualifying for the U20WC's. Coincidence? Not qualifying now and then can be shrugged off, but the last group of players who played in a U20WC are in their 30's. That affects a program, it has robbed over a hundred players of playing important games. It adds up. So yeah, that's why i'm pissed. Not because youth tourney's are the be all, end all but because we're placed at an unfair disadvantage and it's been going on for too long.

32 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

That's not what you said though, you said "Yeah playing a game or two more is great but I wouldn't put too much stock into results."

This is incredibly important.. all these matches are.  The thing with this squad is if you miss a guy like David.. you can replace him with someone like Hundal, a guy who has played and scored in u20 qualifying before.  Or Theo Bair or Adonijah Reid.. there's just so much talent up top and even guys who, unfortunately haven't got a look because of our neglect of this u20 group.  So it's a deep pool but the lack of preparation probably means we need to rely on individual talent.  But still... I'd take our depth over individual talent if they can't be there for all matches, that's a lot of football.

Could we convince Gent this is a good experience for David?  I think there's a case to be made if they don't want him starting at the senior level, I'm sure they want him getting minutes at a good level at least so this would be perfect... sell them the vision, I think it could be a win-win for both sides.  Sweet talking Herdman is hopefully on the horn already.  

Edited by Keegan

The CSA will have to talk to the clubs of every player and assemble the best possible team posible, this is our chance 

Haven’ Qualified to a U20 World Cup in 11 years and 2007 we hosted it so

Enough said, we need everyone on the same page and all contributions matter

Davies and David which are one if not the only ones playing pro right now are ELIGIBLE, so just because they’re too good for their own category doesn’t mean we should just not call them up

Much rather make history in Florida than call them up VS St Kitts and Nevis in November 

I really do hope the Whitecaps decide to Co-operate and Gent might take a little convincing to do, so be it if it has to be done

We need Canada in Poland next summer  

Our Group is more than accesible, just need to beat Panama and after that it’s knock out vs most likely Costa Rica, El Salvador and Honduras for top 4 Finish 

Come On now, Allez les rouges 

Edited by Thomas

On 9/12/2018 at 12:18 AM, Blackdude said:

I don't see David going.

... Rightfully so. I'll expect Davies there as I don't think the whitecaps will be in the playoffs. 

But for David, if he's getting pro valuable minutes, I rather that than a youth tournament. 

Reality is with youth world cups, only a few a players have world class careers, the other handful will be domestic stars, and the massive rest become journeyman. (Do a where are they now check). 

My level of importance for Canada is performing on the world stage on the men's team. I think youth teams is about giving player's who are unnoticed chances, as it bring attention to them to get them signed elsewhere...If a player (David) is already playing and performing against grown men - what's the point in jeopardizing that? 

I know I'm a little indifferent than others on this, but I just don't see the need to have a guy doing triple time as a MNT/YNT/club player. 

I want to see Millar, Reid, Hundaal, Bair,  etc. 

56 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

The CSA will have to talk to the clubs of every player and assemble the best possible team posible, this is our chance 

Haven’ Qualified to a U20 World Cup in 11 years and 2007 we hosted it so

Enough said, we need everyone on the same page and all contributions matter

Davies and David which are one if not the only ones playing pro right now are ELIGIBLE, so just because they’re too good for their own category doesn’t mean we should just not call them up

Much rather make history in Florida than call them up VS St Kitts and Nevis in November 

I really do hope the Whitecaps decide to Co-operate and Gent might take a little convincing to do, so be it if it has to be done

We need Canada in Poland next summer  

Our Group is more than accesible, just need to beat Panama and after that it’s knock out vs most likely Costa Rica, El Salvador and Honduras for top 4 Finish 

Come On now, Allez les rouges 

Actually If Canada wins Group D then will face Mexico and Guatemala  in Group H. As a winner or runner up , Canada would qualify to Poland 2019. Basically Canada needs to beat Panama  ( round 1) and Guatemala  ( Final Round) to be once again in a U20 WC....