CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

It's been years and years since I had any real hope of our u20s advancing.

u17 MLS academy playing time does not translate to high level professional playing time for our small u20 pool.

I still remember Sam Adekugbe having a stinker of a tournament, retweeting people's twitter criticisms of his play during the tournament as some sort of motivation and then going out and getting absolutely scorched by Chucky Lozano of Mexico for an entire match. 

That was the end of his retweets.

4 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

It's been years and years since I had any real hope of our u20s advancing.

u17 MLS academy playing time does not translate to high level professional playing time for our small u20 pool.

I still remember Sam Adekugbe having a stinker of a tournament, retweeting people's twitter criticisms of his play during the tournament as some sort of motivation and then going out and getting absolutely scorched by Chucky Lozano of Mexico for an entire match. 

That was the end of his retweets.

God Adekugbe was so bad that week. Anyways, from a pure talent perspective, I think we should be favoured against every team that isn’t Mexico, the US or Honduras (assuming Davies plays). But talent hasn’t always translated into wins for our youth teams recently...our kids just don’t see enough of Central American teams to be prepared for their style of play. And remember, the core of this team (last cycles u17s) were eliminated from WC contention by Cuba.

Given the format change to the u20 Concacaf Championship we’ll probably need to beat one of US/Mexico/Honduras to qualify. That won’t be easy. The speed and size of Honduras is always a nightmare at u20 qualifying, our kids will be throughly unprepared for the technical ability of Mexico, and the US is the best team of the bunch at full strength. The US is likely the most beatable team of that group, however, given our familiarity and the fact that upwards of 5 of their best players won’t be released. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone surprised that we have had no real camps or prep matches that I can recall for this side for awhile and the November qualifying is just around the corner?  In recent times, we have had quite a few camps and matches before qualifying (not that it helped!). Virtually none this time that I can recall.  Same thing with the U17s.  I know a number of the players were in the Toulon tourney but so were many who would be overage for this tournament. 

14 hours ago, An Observer said:

Anyone surprised that we have had no real camps or prep matches that I can recall for this side for awhile and the November qualifying is just around the corner?  In recent times, we have had quite a few camps and matches before qualifying (not that it helped!). Virtually none this time that I can recall.  Same thing with the U17s.  I know a number of the players were in the Toulon tourney but so were many who would be overage for this tournament. 

I hate to say it, but with how the senior team gets no camps and no games....NO..I am not really surprised.   Cue the sad charlie brown music as I hang my head ang shuffle away......

16 hours ago, An Observer said:

Key phrase "not that it helped!"

16 hours ago, An Observer said:

Hum Toulon tournament had like 65% of players eligible. 

Edited by Blackdude

7 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

and CanSoc media haven't done anything to ask Herdman or crew why nothing has been happening.

Its U20 you may not even see Jonathan david, Liam miller, or Davies if clubs don’t need to release

15 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Check out the CSA Financial statement for 2017 if you want to know why we're not playing this year.

Two things: They had money to fire a coach who was doing reasonably well in most peoples eyes, also if they want the programs to be successful the teams need to play and be in the public eye! Thankfully the Nations League will force us to play senior matches otherwise the program may have been dormant for even longer!

8 hours ago, gator said:

Two things: They had money to fire a coach who was doing reasonably well in most peoples eyes, also if they want the programs to be successful the teams need to play and be in the public eye! Thankfully the Nations League will force us to play senior matches otherwise the program may have been dormant for even longer!

To play devils advocate, if there was no nations league then probably the CSA would have had more reason and capability to book more friendlies.

John Hackworth, US U-17 NT coach gets it. We get it, so why doesn't the CSA get it?!?!

On US travel to play in Mexico and Costa Rica this month.

“In addition, we continue to grow the 2002/2003 pool by selecting a few players that will represent the U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team for the first time. As we move closer to World Cup qualifying, this experience is invaluable as it is impossible to replicate what playing opponents like Mexico and Costa Rica in Central America is really like until you actually do it. The lessons these young men will learn on this trip will help them tremendously as they continue to develop.”

Edited by BCM

23 minutes ago, Keegan said:

It’s also during an international break so that helps. 

I didn't know this, just assumed it wasn't since it was a tournament and would be too long for a break. Hopefully we can get our best out (but also, this means other countries can also get their best out).

3 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I didn't know this, just assumed it wasn't since it was a tournament and would be too long for a break. Hopefully we can get our best out (but also, this means other countries can also get their best out).

Well we all know that aside from WCQ players tend to stay with their MLS clubs.  But I’d assume that your last shot at a u20 World Cup would have priority.. I’d like to think that the CSA would take serious issue with Vancouver attempting to hold Davies back for a playoff push.  Moving forward with CPL on the horizon and players moving to higher levels than MLS we should be strong arming our 3 MLS clubs.

Edited by Keegan

When those games will come, if Millar is on loan in League One or lower, they still play during international breaks so that could be problematic. But maybe they will let him play anyway.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

It’s also during an international break so that helps. 

I just took a look at the tournament format and I must say I don't like it.

It's nice for everyone, specially the minnows, to have at least 4-5 games but with 6 groups of 5 or 6 teams it will mostly come down to one game between the top 2 teams in most of the groups. Very little margin for error and not enough quality games if you're not able to qualify for the final round.

The 2015 format was way better and more interesting in term of competitive games.

19 hours ago, aloyol said:

I just took a look at the tournament format and I must say I don't like it.

It's nice for everyone, specially the minnows, to have at least 4-5 games but with 6 groups of 5 or 6 teams it will mostly come down to one game between the top 2 teams in most of the groups. Very little margin for error and not enough quality games if you're not able to qualify for the final round.

The 2015 format was way better and more interesting in term of competitive games.

In this format there is plenty of margin of error. This format (similar to what Europe uses) is one of the best as it allows the best teams to advance.

19 minutes ago, canta15 said:

In this format there is plenty of margin of error. This format (similar to what Europe uses) is one of the best as it allows the best teams to advance.

In Europe, there are more compétitives teams, so there's less chance of a group coming down to only a matchup with the top 2 teams.

In CONCACAF, I think you have maybe 10 teams who have a real chance at qualifying, that's why I think the margin of error will be non existent in most groups. A group with Honduras, Canada and 3 minnows will most likely be decided by the Hon-Can game. You loose you are out.

I would prefer to see those 10 teams battling the U20WC spots in 2 groups of 6 like they did in 2015. You can have a bad game and still get to qualify. Also, like I said, more quality games in this format.

On 8/2/2018 at 5:15 PM, aloyol said:

In Europe, there are more compétitives teams, so there's less chance of a group coming down to only a matchup with the top 2 teams.

In CONCACAF, I think you have maybe 10 teams who have a real chance at qualifying, that's why I think the margin of error will be non existent in most groups. A group with Honduras, Canada and 3 minnows will most likely be decided by the Hon-Can game. You loose you are out.

I would prefer to see those 10 teams battling the U20WC spots in 2 groups of 6 like they did in 2015. You can have a bad game and still get to qualify. Also, like I said, more quality games in this format.

Well to be fair, in 2015 it came down to one game as well in the semi final.

I’d argue that it’s duable to finish top 4 in this tournament and qualify for the U-20 World Cup next summer happening in Poland

Just looking at the group of 99’ & 00’ gives some optimism to get the job done

if the Toloun tournament wasn’t an indication of what’s possible then I don’t know what is