CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

13 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

I’d argue that it’s duable to finish top 4 in this tournament and qualify for the U-20 World Cup next summer happening in Poland

Just looking at the group of 99’ & 00’ gives some optimism to get the job done

if the Toloun tournament wasn’t an indication of what’s possible then I don’t know what is 

it is certainly possible. 

26 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

I’d argue that it’s duable to finish top 4 in this tournament and qualify for the U-20 World Cup next summer happening in Poland

Just looking at the group of 99’ & 00’ gives some optimism to get the job done

if the Toloun tournament wasn’t an indication of what’s possible then I don’t know what is 

It shouldn’t just be doable it should be expected with the group we have. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.concacaf.com/en/under-20s-men/article/draw-confirmed-for-the-2018-concacaf-men-s-under-20-championship

Seeded Teams (group and position): United States (A1), Mexico (B1), Honduras (C1), Panama (D1) Costa Rica (E1) and El Salvador (F1)

Pot 1: Cuba, Guatemala, Trinidad & Tobago, Haiti, Canada and Jamaica
Pot 2: Antigua and Barbuda, Bermuda, St. Kitts and Nevis, Curacao, Aruba and Suriname
Pot 3: Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Guadeloupe, St. Lucia and Guyana
Pot 4: Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Grenada, Cayman Islands, Barbados, Belize and Dominica
Pot 5: US Virgin Islands, Martinique, Sint Maarten, Saint Martin and Monserrat

The draw will take place on 13 September.

35 teams!  This is crazy and it’s just under 3 weeks long November 1-21.. so pretty much if you’re an mls player and your team is in playoffs you’re not coming (assuming we must meet up a week prior as well, then again we are useless so maybe not).

ugh why do I see this not going well? 

16 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Only the Group winners advance?  Geez, that's tough.

I don't see many teams, if any, in pots 2 to 5 able to challenge teams from pot 1 and the seeded teams.

Obviously, you want to avoid Mexico and the US. Not sure about the strength of the others seeded teams

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

35 teams!  This is crazy and it’s just under 3 weeks long November 1-21.. so pretty much if you’re an mls player and your team is in playoffs you’re not coming (assuming we must meet up a week prior as well, then again we are useless so maybe not).

ugh why do I see this not going well? 

What does this do to the chances of the US and Mexico?  Will we see a B squad from them because their clubs won't release the big names (Weah, Sargent etc.) for that long?

Who are we in danger of missing?

56 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

What does this do to the chances of the US and Mexico?  Will we see a B squad from them because their clubs won't release the big names (Weah, Sargent etc.) for that long?

Who are we in danger of missing?

Are teams required to release players for the tournament? If so, CSA should make sure Davies is called. He could help run up some games for us. 

Historically, Canadian youth teams have had a tough time scoring in games we are expected to win. I can think of a few games against Cuba we didn't get the result we needed. If we can get  at least 2 of Davies, Millar, David, and Tabla we should be ok. If by some miracle we get all 4 that would be unreal, and I would almost feel bad for a team like Saint Martin.

Canada is not seeded because of its bad performances in the last U-20 tournaments. If Canada ends up in group A or B it ' ll be very difficult to go to the next round, unless Canada defeats USA or Mexico, it would be the surprise of the tournament. 

( Come on Montagliani a little help ! put Canada in group C, D, E or F  ! :-)

Edited by xabuep2

On 7/31/2018 at 12:00 AM, jordan said:

Its U20 you may not even see Jonathan david, Liam miller, or Davies if clubs don’t need to release

I dont believe that you will see Davies.  There seems to be either a written or unwritten rule (or practice) about not bringing back players to the U20 level once they have been capped at the senior level, even though they are still (agewise) eligible for youth team.  

A couple of examples,  once Jaime Peters was capped at the senior level as an 17 or 18 year old in world cup qualifying in 2004, he never, i believe, played after that for the U20.  Messi played on the u20 for Argentina in 2005 and was still eligible for U20 WC in canada in 2007.  But he was never called and in the bettween he had played for the senior team.

I am not 100% certain on this. Hence if someone knows of an example of any teenagers who is or was capped at senior level coming back to compete for a national youth side, feel free to respond with examples. I’d be curious to kwow.

PS:  there is also good example involving canada basketball.  Teenager, Shay Gilgeous-Alexander (PG) was called by the senior national team to help them qualify for the olympics at the last chance tournment in the Phiilipines a few years ago.  But he not ever part of the canadian youth team that went on to win the FIBA youth WC last year.  He went on to be a lottery pick but he was still age eligible for last years canadian u19 side. 

Edited by Free kick

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I dont believe that you will see Davies.  There seems to be either a written or unwritten rule about not bringing back players to the U20 level once they have been capped at the senior level, even though they are still (agewise) eligible for youth team.  

A couple of examples,  once Jaime Peters was capped at the senior level as an 17 or 18 year old in world cup qualifying in 2004, he never, i believe, played after that for the U20.  Messi played on the u20 for Argentina in 2005 and was still eligible for U20 WC in canada in 2007.  But he was never called and in the bettween he had played for the senior team.

I am not 100% certain on this. Hence if someone knows of an example of any teenagers who is or was capped at senior level coming back to compete for a national youth side, feel free to respond with examples. I’d be curious to kwow.

PS:  there is also good example involving canada basketball.  Teenager, Shay Gilgeous-Alexander (PG) was called by the senior national team to help them qualify for the olympics at the last chance tournment in the Phiilipines a few years ago.  But he not ever part of the canadian youth team that went on to win the FIBA youth WC last year.  He went on to be a lottery pick but he was still age eligible for last years canadian u19 side. 

No idea if this is a sort of informal understanding among everyone, or if the players see themselves as senior players, but I have noticed the same kind of "rule".  

Free Kick you’re wrong mate sorry to tell you.  Jaime Peters played for the men in 2004 and played for the u20s up until 2007.  Will Johnson was capped for the MNT in 2005 and played u20 until 2007.  Cyle Larin, Jordan Hamilton, Doneil Henry, Samuel Piette as well.. 

I know there are more but I’m too lazy to look right now. 

Edited by Keegan

I just think that because of 2026, the spotlight is on Canada more than ever and we have to present ourselves in a strong manner each time it is possible. 

We have to come in those qualifiers with a mentality of winners and for that our best eligible players have to be there. So we shouldn’t care if Davies, Millar, David, etc. have already played senior by November, our best players have to be there so we can send a message that we are a talented team. 

18 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

I just think that because of 2026, the spotlight is on Canada more than ever and we have to present ourselves in a strong manner each time it is possible. 

We have to come in those qualifiers with a mentality of winners and for that our best eligible players have to be there. So we shouldn’t care if Davies, Millar, David, etc. have already played senior by November, our best players have to be there so we can send a message that we are a talented team. 

And to make sure we do qualify!!!!  How can we expect kids with options to commit when we dont even commit to this stuff ourselves.  If we made the last one, maybe Tabla, akinola or Tomori might have been enticed into the CDN program.  Even if Davies, Millar David etc are going to be playing with the full CMNT from now on they owe it to the program to try and get Canada into that next U-20 WC...even if have grown beyond it by that time.      

12 minutes ago, Raven1555362272 said:

Based on past results I have found online...how is El Salvador seeded and we are not?

Anyone.....Anyone?

The 6 seeded teams made the final round (2 groups of 3) in the 2017 CONCACAF U20 Championship.

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

I dont believe that you will see Davies.  

Well the Whitecaps last regular season match in the MLS is October 28th

The U20 Concacaf Championship is between November 1-21

Unless they miss the playoffs or are eliminated prior to the last few matches on the schedule 

Since CSA announces the rosters usually 7-10 days 

Personally and quite honestly; considering we haven’t qualified to the U-20 World Cup since 2007 when we hosted it (10 + Years)

Please Please Alphonso play in this tournament 

If Millar continues in Liverpool Youth System then he will be there 

Jonathan David, all will depend if Gent decide to let him go but it looks very unlikely 

Honestly think Honduras will send a better team than the US. Of course avoiding the US/Honduras/Mexico would be great, but if I had to pick between being put in a group with one of them, I'd pick the US. The US u20s are very good but not deep...and they'll be lucky to get one of Adams, Amon, Carleton, Durkin, Lindsey,  McKenzie, Richards, Sargent, Weah, Soto. That's basically their whole first starting XI.

I'm confident our u20s can compete with the American second team. I'm less confident our u20s can deal with the pure athletes Honduras sends to these tournaments.