Jump to content

York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread


Rheo
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

That's fine and all but such efforts will be a waste if they don't end up building anything permanent on the campus. To me, that seems like a good plan and perhaps they can strike a deal with the university to build their 15,000 seater stadium unless that space has now been allocated to something else.

I don’t think it would be a waste. Those students will move on from school and get jobs and maybe still be living close to wherever York 9’s stadium ends up. Building a fan base isn’t a wasted effort.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2018 at 12:39 PM, Blackjack15 said:

I think I hear York University Students get a  very good discount also, like $100-$200 season ticket 

Having watched the Whitecaps try to do something similar with WFCII at UBC, the student discounts don't really seem to attract that many students because a significant chunk of the season takes place when they aren't there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2018 at 8:54 PM, Kent said:

I don’t think it would be a waste. Those students will move on from school and get jobs and maybe still be living close to wherever York 9’s stadium ends up. Building a fan base isn’t a wasted effort.

That would be the ideal outcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Jimmy has gone on a scouting trip to Denmark. 

 

Really?  York 9 doesn’t even attend USL, L1O matches etc for a league that will be over 50% domestic and they’re scouting in Denmark with two teams that have no domestic players..

I mean maybe he’s been tipped off to a new talent.  But on the face of it, definitely looks like he’s enjoying his expense account.

Edited by Keegan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Really?  York 9 doesn’t even attend USL, L1O matches etc for a league that will be over 50% domestic and they’re scouting in Denmark with two teams that have no domestic players..

I mean maybe he’s been tipped off to a new talent.  But on the face of it, definitely looks like he’s enjoying his expense account.

Yeah, of course it's all speculation, but I get the same impression. Didn't he miss that meet and greet or whatever during the World Cup final because he was somewhere else, like Ireland or something? Maybe I am being overly pessimistic after the Octavio Zambrano news/rumours, but I don't get a good feeling about this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

Really?  York 9 doesn’t even attend USL, L1O matches etc for a league that will be over 50% domestic and they’re scouting in Denmark with two teams that have no domestic players..

I mean maybe he’s been tipped off to a new talent.  But on the face of it, definitely looks like he’s enjoying his expense account.

Ya... and you aren't getting any Danish talent for $40000. If he was scouting in the Caribbean or Central America maybe.. but this doesn't look good. Hopefully, they are just there to learn about football operations in second division Denmark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Ya... and you aren't getting any Danish talent for $40000.

a) Yes you could.

b) The average salary is not the exact mandatory salary for every player, and clubs are going to be spending more on foreign players regardless.

c) Danni Konig signed in the USL from the Danish First Division and has been there for four years now, there's literally nothing stopping York from signing a player from Denmark.

30 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

this doesn't look good.

If I had a nickel for every time someone on the forum said "this doesn't look good" in response to something completely inconsequential or obviously beyond the poster's knowledge I could pay for the salary of a Danish player in the CPL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Zem said:

a) Yes you could.

b) The average salary is not the exact mandatory salary for every player, and clubs are going to be spending more on foreign players regardless.

c) Danni Konig signed in the USL from the Danish First Division and has been there for four years now, there's literally nothing stopping York from signing a player from Denmark.

If I had a nickel for every time someone on the forum said "this doesn't look good" in response to something completely inconsequential or obviously beyond the poster's knowledge I could pay for the salary of a Danish player in the CPL.

Fine, you got me, I was speaking out of my arse. I guess I have just been anxious regarding the direction of York 9.. speaking as someone who will be picking up season tickets for sure, and have already dropped TFC tickets for the following year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you guys really faulting him for scouting European based players instead of L10 based players?? Do you honestly think a York based club hasn't been made aware of any potential prospects playing throughout the GTA? Without scouting trips like this, how are you guys expecting clubs to bring over foreign talent if they're not out there doing the ground work? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only recently the info emanating from York 9 appeared to be that they were going to focus on older players from Italy where imports are concerned including a name player from serie A, which made some sense given York Region tends to be known for the size of its Italian community and its many Italian oriented soccer clubs and social clubs, while immigrants from Denmark tend to be quite thin on the ground in southern Ontario. If the cap is as low as is being claimed I seriously doubt that there will be more than a handful of import players on each team and many of them are likely to be players that have been bouncing around teams in North America in leagues like PDL and NPSL, because a move from Denmark to Canada is likely to be viewed as a step further away from making the big time in soccer terms given top European leagues tend to be what players aspire to play in most and you are more likely to be noticed when playing in Odense or Aarhus than in Victoria or Halifax.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Blackdude said:

The president of York 9  is from Denmark. Is it possible that he has contacts there and might be able to get some Danish players to play for York?

No way, it makes too much sense. 

No way. He's obviously blowing through the team's cash on hookers and blow with Jimmy B.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Only recently the info emanating from York 9 appeared to be that they were going to focus on older players from Italy where imports are concerned including a name player from serie A, which made some sense given York Region tends to be known for the size of its Italian community and its many Italian oriented soccer clubs and social clubs, while immigrants from Denmark tend to be quite thin on the ground in southern Ontario. If the cap is as low as is being claimed I seriously doubt that there will be more than a handful of import players on each team and many of them are likely to be players that have been bouncing around teams in North America in leagues like PDL and NPSL, because a move from Denmark to Canada is likely to be viewed as a step further away from making the big time in soccer terms given top European leagues tend to be what players aspire to play in most and you are more likely to be noticed when playing in Odense or Aarhus than in Victoria or Halifax.

That was how MLS was viewed a few years ago, look where it is today. If any of these clubs can bring in Nico Hasler type talents (playing 2nd division swiss league when TFC signed him) it would do wonders for the league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

12 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Hopefully, they are just there to learn about football operations in second division Denmark.

This is what I was thinking.

As for the post itself, it's kind of bizarre and not very professional in approach.  No mention of who they are (obviously we know), or reason they are there.  Kinda like a kid posted it on his or her personal account.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KW519 said:

That was how MLS was viewed a few years ago, look where it is today. If any of these clubs can bring in Nico Hasler type talents (playing 2nd division swiss league when TFC signed him) it would do wonders for the league.

Even back when it launched MLS had a much higher salary cap many times greater than the one that appears to be in place now for CanPL. It might still be possible to bring in some worthwhile talent on the very low salaries that will be the norm in CanPL but I don't think Europe will be the best place to look to achieve it. Smaller CONCACAF countries with no fully professional sides would be where I would focus on making CONCACAF Nations League games the more obvious place to be at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Even back when it launched MLS had a much higher salary cap many times greater than the one that appears to be in place now for CanPL. It might still be possible to bring in some worthwhile talent on the very low salaries that will be the norm in CanPL but I don't think Europe will be the best place to look to achieve it. Smaller CONCACAF countries with no fully professional sides would be where I would focus on making CONCACAF Nations League games the more obvious place to be at the moment.

There are players all over Europe playing for low salaries, so it's not surprising for me to see them scouting in Europe. I think people sometimes underestimate how many people (footballers included) want to live the North American lifestyle.

With regards to CONCACAF, I can't see too many players making more $ than what CPL players will make. I'd be heading straight to the more established football nations to do some club scouting (CR, Panama, Jamaica, T&T, Honduras etc..)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Yes but in other countries the housing costs are so much less that you can afford to live on less money.  Cost of living in any major Canadian city is less than Central America.

True, which is why you'd have to give them a raise from their current salary. On the flip side for certain players they would have an inside track on building up residency in Canada with an eye on permanently moving here for when his playing days are over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...