York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

2 hours ago, masster said:

Why no Inebriati for York 9? Makes sense to me

First, TFC have officially told them to fuck off
Second, they've on several occasions generated national negative headlines
Third, taking someone TFC banned sends a bad image. Why would you even want a group that's only cheering for you out of spite?
Forth, make your own fans

Edited by matty

2 hours ago, masster said:

Why no Inebriati for York 9? Makes sense to me

I think they already share members anyway...

If they somehow did start supporting Y9, it would make for a great rivarly.  Especially in any potential V's cup games.

Edited by zeelaw

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Me as well, definitely advocate for a hardcore support for a club that needs it.  Heck, the league needs it and those guys travel home and away.. they would love CPL.

Logically these types will do a lot more for growing your name and support than local youth clubs.  Let’s be real, there are teams that are big clubs simply because of their fans.. but none that are big clubs because they pack the stands with youths.

One end of the stadium can be Inebriatti and the other end for all the youth soccer players ?

I don't think anybody is saying they don't want a supporters group for York 9 (there is already Generation IX). If Inibriatti or individuals from Inibriatti were to throw their support behind York 9 hopefully they would have at least learned their lesson(s) and implement some changes so they are a positive force rather than a destructive/divisive force. And in all likelihood, a rebranding would be in order to try to distance themselves from the past.

12 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Umm . . . you know that Pepe has become a symbol of the alt-right movement in the US, right? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepe_the_Frog

It is a comic character that the alt-right tried to make their symbol but never succeeded in doing so. It is much more commonly known as a dumb meme. The media like to highlight that the alt-right use it as a way to smear trump who used pepe in his campaign earlier. They play it up just like how they play up the size of the alt right. They're just a bunch of losers who can't even get numbers together for a public display. I for one don't think we should give them the credit or let them have any symbols. 

If they took the Canada Soccer logo and decided to start posting that online and use that as their symbol would it all of a sudden be theirs?

2 hours ago, BradMack said:

If they took the Canada Soccer logo and decided to start posting that online and use that as their symbol would it all of a sudden be theirs?

You mean like the Nazi's did with the Swastika? I guess yes. Agree with most of the rest of your post though. 

10 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Umm . . . you know that Pepe has become a symbol of the alt-right movement in the US, right? 

I’m pretty sure the whole backstory was a way to make the media look foolish, which it succeeded in doing so.  People wanted to take the most harmless photo and turn it to a hate symbol for the irony due to the media’s gullibility.  Really it just seems to be internet trolls making fun of the media.. they also convinced people at one point that the two fingered peace symbol was a nazi gesture and the media bought it.  Basically it’s just internet trolls who lean right making fun of anti conservative media bias.  The mainstream media lets itself be trolled so easily that’s the problem when you have people talking on tv like Pepe is a hate symbol.. you’ve been trolled. 

I’m not saying that there aren’t true far right people who haven’t also been fooled into believing it’s a hate symbol.  But either way, if you believe it’s a hate symbol rest assured there are people laughing at you.

Edited by Keegan

10 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

You're not wrong like some are acting like. Some really nasty sites started flooding the web with Nazi Pepes but there's also been a big backlash against the alt-right's usage for him as a "kek" god (including from Pepe's creator) and people who have felt Clinton's and the ADL's claim of it as such as flawed. Like why were they able to make Pepe "alt-right" but other things like New Balance and Fred Perry (that generated large alt-right followings) didn't follow suit.

Worth noting these parts from the ADL's website https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/pepe-the-frog?referrer=https%3A/www.google.co.il/

...However, because so many Pepe the Frog memes are not bigoted in nature, it is important to examine use of the meme only in context. The mere fact of posting a Pepe meme does not mean that someone is racist or white supremacist. However, if the meme itself is racist or anti-Semitic in nature, or if it appears in a context containing bigoted or offensive language or symbols, then it may have been used for hateful purposes.

In the fall of 2016, the ADL teamed with Pepe creator Matt Furie to form a #SavePepe campaign to reclaim the symbol from those who use it with hateful intentions.

All things said, Pepe is a terrible mascot cause he's a dead meme at this stage (even the alt-right doesn't use him post the creator suing everyone) and would piss everyone at York off which is why reviving Dat Boi or Battletoads would be a better move if you were just making the team about frog memes. Everyone loves Dat Boi.

Edited by matty

11 hours ago, shamrock said:

You mean like the Nazi's did with the Swastika? I guess yes. Agree with most of the rest of your post though. 

They had the backing of a country... Lets not pretend like there is any sort of comparable level of power here, what were the numbers at their last rally? Under 100? They are a laughably small and insignificant group, and for good reason. 

17 minutes ago, BradMack said:

They had the backing of a country... Lets not pretend like there is any sort of comparable level of power here, what were the numbers at their last rally? Under 100? They are a laughably small and insignificant group, and for good reason. 

Wasn't there a report saying around 5% of white Americans have strong alt right views?

1 minute ago, matty said:

Wasn't there a report saying around 5% of white Americans have strong alt right views?

You'd have to look into that and find out which views they are saying define alt-right. News organizations report Jordan Peterson as alt-right all the time and that is certainly not based in facts. It is just to scare people and generate clicks which = money while simultaniously driving their political agenda. Look at the people who are actually involved. The leader is struggling for money and another higher up lives with his parents (who publicly embarrased him on a live stream).

This however is not a political thread, and I really couldnt care less about a frog meme lol. 

Back on topic, York really need all the fans they can get right now... Surely the banned TFC group could come to some sort of an agreement with them regarding flares. If they very clearly lay out the rules it could be beneficial to both groups. Although if the group breaks the rules in the new York stadium thats made out of trees things could go very poorly. ?

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

My point was they took a symbol that is now forever connected with Nazi Germany. It was just a symbol before. 

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

I’m pretty sure the whole backstory was a way to make the media look foolish, which it succeeded in doing so.  People wanted to take the most harmless photo and turn it to a hate symbol for the irony due to the media’s gullibility.  Really it just seems to be internet trolls making fun of the media.. they also convinced people at one point that the two fingered peace symbol was a nazi gesture and the media bought it.  Basically it’s just internet trolls who lean right making fun of anti conservative media bias.  The mainstream media lets itself be trolled so easily that’s the problem when you have people talking on tv like Pepe is a hate symbol.. you’ve been trolled. 

I’m not saying that there aren’t true far right people who haven’t also been fooled into believing it’s a hate symbol.  But either way, if you believe it’s a hate symbol rest assured there are people laughing at you.

drake.jpg

You'd have to look into that and find out which views they are saying define alt-right. News organizations report Jordan Peterson as alt-right all the time and that is certainly not based in facts. It is just to scare people and generate clicks which = money while simultaniously driving their political agenda. Look at the people who are actually involved. The leader is struggling for money and another higher up lives with his parents (who publicly embarrased him on a live stream).

Yea if you counted JP (he himself isn't but does have a wide appeal among the alt-right because of a lot of his more radically stupid ideas)  types I imagine the number would be like 20% rather than 5%. The number is large enough guys like Cernovich are able to get campaign jobs.

This however is not a political thread, and I really couldnt care less about a frog meme lol. 

Back on topic, York really need all the fans they can get right now... Surely the banned TFC group could come to some sort of an agreement with them regarding flares. If they very clearly lay out the rules it could be beneficial to both groups. Although if the group breaks the rules in the new York stadium thats made out of trees things could go very poorly. ?

Agreed back to Y9

I disagree and feel that is sends the wrong message about who you are to allowed the banned group to be an official Y9 group. A) You're not their first choice and B ) they were banned for being too toxic. You'd look cheap by letting them in. It's also kind of insulting to various other players in Canadian soccer (TFC, Fury, CSA) which is something all league partners should avoid at this stage.

It's time to let the Inebriatti die.

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Very interested in seeing the new Mazda Camaro, and the Mazda Hummer, a tall order but I am sure Jim Brennan has convinced them it is important to get in line with the current team image.

Looks like New Roads is a chain that isn’t limited to Mazda. In the CPL thread Matt also posted similar tweets from New Roads GM and Chrysler. GM would be enough to cover the promotional vehicles for York 9.

12 hours ago, Kent said:

Looks like New Roads is a chain that isn’t limited to Mazda. In the CPL thread Matt also posted similar tweets from New Roads GM and Chrysler. GM would be enough to cover the promotional vehicles for York 9.

Yeah, they're basically a conglomerate of various car dealerships that all operate under one name up here, they sell pretty much everything.

On 8/24/2018 at 10:57 AM, matty said:

First, TFC have officially told them to fuck off
Second, they've on several occasions generated national negative headlines
Third, taking someone TFC banned sends a bad image. Why would you even want a group that's only cheering for you out of spite?
Forth, make your own fans

I never said York 9 should 'take' Inebriati. But if Inebriati chooses they would like to support York 9, I don't have a problem with it.