York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Rheo

Two other things that are important if you start to have more pro clubs in an area, instead of dividing up territorially for reason of how fans are supposed to behave

One, a kid coming up, at say 18, should be able to still live at home while speculating on his soccer future. These kids who travel across the world, that is very hard, apart from basically meaning that any semi-pro income is used to cover expenses. 

Second, you have inspirations up close, which does not mean the whole "my buddy was signed by TFC" business, as that is the highest aspiration. I mean simply that even from a modest club you may see a teammate getting a call into a CPL residency if any are ever set up. The other day my son told me about two guys he played with this time last year in Barcelona: one has left u-19 and has signed for a 4th tier club, he's a striker; another has left a top u-19 program to play in another club that has promoted to the highest division of Spanish u-19.

My kid's last club was not even amongst the top 40 in metropolitan Barcelona overall, it was very modest. But they had one u-19 team that played well and the kids were seen.

They key is that kids compare themselves, reasonably: not hey, I am good enough for TFC, but hey, I could probably make my way into a lower tier semi-pro situation and keep my curve going. And all without having to leave home yet.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Two other things that are important if you start to have more pro clubs in an area, instead of dividing up territorially for reason of how fans are supposed to behave

One, a kid coming up, at say 18, should be able to still live at home while speculating on his soccer future. These kids who travel across the world, that is very hard, apart from basically meaning that any semi-pro income is used to cover expenses. 

Second, you have inspirations up close, which does not mean the whole "my buddy was signed by TFC" business, as that is the highest aspiration. I mean simply that even from a modest club you may see a teammate getting a call into a CPL residency if any are ever set up. The other day my son told me about two guys he played with this time last year in Barcelona: one has left u-19 and has signed for a 4th tier club, he's a striker; another has left a top u-19 program to play in another club that has promoted to the highest division of Spanish u-19.

My kid's last club was not even amongst the top 40 in metropolitan Barcelona overall, it was very modest. But they had one u-19 team that played well and the kids were seen.

They key is that kids compare themselves, reasonably: not hey, I am good enough for TFC, but hey, I could probably make my way into a lower tier semi-pro situation and keep my curve going. And all without having to leave home yet.

Bang on. I've hammered on how CPL will change the reward side of risk/reward discussions for players, but the reduction of the risk barrier for pursuing a pro career is just as important. Even for players who have stay "domestic," think of Davies leaving Edmonton as a teenager or players choosing easier academic programs compatible with an NCAA career, will see a difference 

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Does anyone have any info on this team? How was it pulled together? Is this the first game they have played together? Or did they take a local team and just give them York 9 jerseys?

From what I've read it was a team put together by the York regional soccer association, but York9 has gotten the full buy in from YRSA to cooperate on development (even sharing office space). 

Obviously York9 didn't develop these kids but if they are going to act as the top level senior team for YRSA I think they will have a fantastic pool from which they are signing players.

5 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

From what I've read it was a team put together by the York regional soccer association, but York9 has gotten the full buy in from YRSA to cooperate on development (even sharing office space). 

Obviously York9 didn't develop these kids but if they are going to act as the top level senior team for YRSA I think they will have a fantastic pool from which they are signing players.

Yeah one can only applaud them for teaming up with YRSA and get them on board. Like I said, regardless of their off-field success, they're in a hotbed of soccer and should be able to get a lot of talent. 

1 minute ago, RS said:

Why not?

Well one would assume that they must have their own season starting and better things to do than play here at this time.  Also was it not mentioned that this was a satellite club? 

Lets be honest if youre juventus you go for the $ or the experience and neither of those things are on offer.

8 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Well one would assume that they must have their own season starting and better things to do than play here at this time.  Also was it not mentioned that this was a satellite club? 

Lets be honest if youre juventus you go for the $ or the experience and neither of those things are on offer.

I can't find the schedules for the U17s, but the Juve Primavera side (U19) didn't start their most recent season until Sept. 8 (their online schedule hasn't even updated for this season): http://www.juventus.com/en/matches/fixtures-and-results/fixtures-and-results-juventus-primavera.php

I would assume that the U17s play a similar season.

It's really not that big a deal for youth sides from big Euro clubs to visit North America. It happens pretty often nowadays, mostly with little fanfare as they don't exactly draw big crowds.

EDIT: Just noticed the post above mine. That lends even more credence to it being the real Juve U17 side as they've already played in this tournament. 

Here's a more recent posting. TFC will play tonight.

7 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

I worry for their attendance at home games due to their low level of deposits

About 200 atm

I'm curious as to whether the YRSA season seats, of which they plan to fill a whole grandstand with, count towards this number.

Either pretty much no one from yrsa were interested, which seems unlikely given the effort they are apparently putting into that group, or they aren't included in the number we are seeing 

19 hours ago, Kent said:

Does anyone have any info on this team? How was it pulled together? Is this the first game they have played together? Or did they take a local team and just give them York 9 jerseys?

I was curious myself as well when I heard about the tournament. YRSA gave the breakdown last night on twitter.

Pretty cool, Vaughan, Aurora, Woodbridge, Markham, and Kleinburg. Just need a bit of Richmond Hill and Newmarket lol.

8 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

I was curious myself as well when I heard about the tournament. YRSA gave the breakdown last night on twitter.

Pretty cool, Vaughan, Aurora, Woodbridge, Markham, and Kleinburg. Just need a bit of Richmond Hill and Newmarket lol.

They lost 2-1 to TFC tonight. 

Incredible result for a select team that I'm sure barely trained together. 

How sad is it that I got a surprisingly happy feeling when reading that York 9 and YRSC are apparently working closely together, and thus, might actually want to help each other succeed and grow the game together. Surely this will never catch on!! (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

This feels like one of the first really encouraging signs I've seen from York 9 in a long time.

41 minutes ago, masster said:

Why no Inebriati for York 9? Makes sense to me

Me as well, definitely advocate for a hardcore support for a club that needs it.  Heck, the league needs it and those guys travel home and away.. they would love CPL.

Logically these types will do a lot more for growing your name and support than local youth clubs.  Let’s be real, there are teams that are big clubs simply because of their fans.. but none that are big clubs because they pack the stands with youths.

One end of the stadium can be Inebriatti and the other end for all the youth soccer players ?

Archived