York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

That All-Star game was against the Aurora Football Club alumni team so mostly 40s I'd estimate and a few 50s.  Aurora had a roster of twenty guys and the All-Stars had five on the bench.  Two 30 minute halfs with unlimited subbing.  

I had the All-Stars Terry Dunfield and Andrew Ornoch scoring in the first half, then in the second half Jimmy Brennan and the guy wearing #19 (not listed) for a 4-0 lead and then Aurora's #8 scored two minutes before the end.   So 4-1.    

I hope they don't wear those green numbers on white shirts in real games as they're hard to see at a distance.  

All their as advertised except Craig Forrest and James Sharman.   As they're both broadcasters, if someone watched soccer at home this morning, did the EPL games go on extra long today and they couldn't make it?  

York 9 of course had a strong presence from their fleet of vehicles strategically parked near the attendance gate and the parking gate,  signage everywhere,  the 'Degeneration IX' guys and their banners, Aurora children with noisemakers cheering for their coaches playing for the All-Star team, a well stocked merchandise stand, and a local radio station 105.9 'The Region' that answered me that they play music and so won't be broadcasting games on the radio.  They have the olive and black colours of York 9 but the guy said they've been on the air five years so it's just a coincidence.   Of course I'm hallucinating every time I drive west of Yonge Street and see those 'Green For Life' garbage trucks.  

Most important was the attendance...I thought there were more than 300 there before I left.  There was scheduled to be more games and partying after that but I left to watch a L1O game as soon as this game ended.  

Edited by Rocket Robin

Nicely done on the report Robin! I completely agree about the number colour on the jerseys. Impossible to read, and just generally not attractive... hopefully this isn't what we have to look forward to from Macron. Looking at the kits they've done for other clubs I doubt it. They put out some great product. 

Did anyone else get the email about the "exclusive launch event" going on in November? It says the first two signings will be announced at it. Oh, but it's a $200/seat fundraiser. Really disappointed in this, since player announcements should be done publicly for the fans in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, kwiebe said:

Nicely done on the report Robin! I completely agree about the number colour on the jerseys. Impossible to read, and just generally not attractive... hopefully this isn't what we have to look forward to from Macron. Looking at the kits they've done for other clubs I doubt it. They put out some great product. 

Did anyone else get the email about the "exclusive launch event" going on in November? It says the first two signings will be announced at it. Oh, but it's a $200/seat fundraiser. Really disappointed in this, since player announcements should be done publicly for the fans in my opinion. 

That would be my nightmare.  York 9 All Stars with turquoise numbers on white vs Sanjaxx Lions of 2016 with their white numbers on yellow.....and played at night!  

I did receive the launch event information.  I think that's because I am one of their $50 members.  

2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Does anyone know when we’ll be contacted to buy season tickets for York 9 FC?

I'm assuming once they've 100% decided how many games are going to be played. Maybe that'll be part of the announcement at the end of November with the first player signings and what not.

Above brochure given outside inside the program of the League 1 Ontario playoff game at Centennial Stadium in Scarborough between Alliance United and Darby FC.  Too bad there were only about 30 of us here because of the bone chilling temperature with strong wind.  This was a playoff game but didn't matter because Vaughan won the group in the second week.  

This is the first time in months that prices for York 9 FC have been mentioned since their launch.  

the * fine print reads "Plus HST and admin fees.  Pricing based on End Zone Supporter Section, standing only general admission.  Must be 19 years of age and older.  

Now if there are more of these to hand out tomorrow at Vaughan Grove for the Woodbridge game (which is right in the same city/suburb as York 9 they should do even better.  

correction that says End zone not East zone.  even with a magnifying glass that is small.  

Edited by Rocket Robin

8 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

Above brochure given outside inside the program of the League 1 Ontario playoff game at Centennial Stadium in Scarborough between Alliance United and Darby FC.  Too bad there were only about 30 of us here because of the bone chilling temperature with strong wind.  This was a playoff game but didn't matter because Vaughan won the group in the second week.  

This is the first time in months that prices for York 9 FC have been mentioned since their launch.  

the * fine print reads "Plus HST and admin fees.  Pricing based on East Zone Supporter Section, standing only general admission.  Must be 19 years of age and older.  

Now if there are more of these to hand out tomorrow at Vaughan Grove for the Woodbridge game (which is right in the same city/suburb as York 9 they should do even better.  

And Ben mentioned when he gave me one of these flyers at the York Lions game that it should actually be 15 games not 16 (probably because of the Ottawa situation).

38 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

the * fine print reads "Plus HST and admin fees.  Pricing based on End Zone Supporter Section, standing only general admission.  Must be 19 years of age and older.  

correction that says End zone not East zone.  even with a magnifying glass that is small.  

Based on that it sounds like the prices will be fairly close to the other CPL clubs we’ve been hearing numbers for. Sounds pretty reasonable, and I’d assume parking is between $5-$10, not like the $30 you now pay at BMO. All in all I’m liking what I’m hearing. Now, while I get (and really like) that the roster will be mostly Canadian, I do hope that there will be a couple of ‘well known’ (relatively anyways) guys on the squad. Doesn’t really matter either way though, I’m going to buy seasons for sure.

4 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Based on that it sounds like the prices will be fairly close to the other CPL clubs we’ve been hearing numbers for. Sounds pretty reasonable, and I’d assume parking is between $5-$10, not like the $30 you now pay at BMO. All in all I’m liking what I’m hearing. Now, while I get (and really like) that the roster will be mostly Canadian, I do hope that there will be a couple of ‘well known’ (relatively anyways) guys on the squad. Doesn’t really matter either way though, I’m going to buy seasons for sure.

There's also TTC parking that's 5-10 min walk - $2 after 3pm. The closer parking at York Founders is $10. It's also right next to the subway station, so you don't even have to drive.

As TFC season ticket holder I will be checking out a couple games for sure especially with the subway there now, as I will do the same for Hamilton. Just do not have the time for seasons as I also have them for the Wolfpack. I really hope that Jimmy and the York find success. 

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Can't say I'm reassured. The nonchalance is more concerning than anything in my opinion

I do think we don't see the full story about the York9 memberships, they've apparently been working with the youth clubs to fill a stand with youth player, so it's reasonable to think that they have more tickets sold than are reflective of the membership counts on twitter. Still, I would like to see more from the club

7 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Can't say I'm reassured. The nonchalance is more concerning than anything in my opinion

The nonchalance is totally reasonable given we are talking about start-up league that won't play a game for six months!!!!

This obsession with selling these memberships is a silly distraction promoted by doomsayers who have wanted the league to fail since before it was even announced.

What matters is actual ticket sales on opening day and the bums in seats. We are only now approaching the first realistic sales period for season tickets (Xmas). 

They are doing the work on the field. It's not as sexy as membership counts and as visible but not negligible.

I'm not convince it will be the disaster some people think it will be. They will get a lot of University students to go to these games. They are right on the Keele Campus that have over 50k students and a 2 subway stations. They even have pricing for students.

I'll reserve judgement for opening day but using membership counts to doom a team is silly.

From https://the11.ca/never-mind-the-memberships-brennan-bullish-on-york-9s-future/

As for the head coaching decision, Brennan points to the ownership group . In discussions around the boardroom table, others in the ownership group thought it was quite simple. “Jimmy you’re from the region, you have your coaching badges, you’ve played over in Europe and in Canada, your family lives here … you’ve got to be the coach.”

This was how I imagined TFC's manager hiring process usually went (at least for Paul Mariner and Greg Vanney, I guess it worked with Vanney). Look around the room and see who can coach out of the people already in the organization. Nice to see York 9 is bringing early incompetent TFC culture with them.

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

This was how I imagined TFC's manager hiring process usually went (at least for Paul Mariner and Greg Vanney, I guess it worked with Vanney). Look around the room and see who can coach out of the people already in the organization. Nice to see York 9 is bringing early incompetent TFC culture with them.

At least Tom Anselmi didn't nominate himself to coach TFC