York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

It is cool how York 9 are playing at York university. The York U-sport soccer team is ranked 3. It would be awesome if York could grab a couple of guys from the local university. Might help attract some students.

It's also worth noting Carmine Isaaco (sp?) is the assistant coach at York 9 and is/was the longtime head coach of York University.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, Rocket Robin said:

Now this is more like it!  A booth set up at this afternoon's League 1 Ontario Championship game at the Ontario Soccer Centre.  Vaughan Azzurri and Woodbridge Strikers are both in the York Region.  Woodbridge's home fields are about 300 yards away.  

One of their vehicles is parked nearby ie. the green one to the left.  

Oct20106.jpg

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/York9fc/status/1054527122276925440

391 members according to the club. Inching up a bit

Seems finally setting up booths at local events, along with the recent sponsored Facebook ad I've seen that keeps on appearing in my feed, seems like it's helped a lot. Bout time they started doing some extensive promotion.

8 hours ago, tyler453 said:

Seems finally setting up booths at local events, along with the recent sponsored Facebook ad I've seen that keeps on appearing in my feed, seems like it's helped a lot. Bout time they started doing some extensive promotion.

Just throwing that out there, but it seems that their increase in promotion coincides with TFC being officially eliminated from the playoffs. Now I'm wondering if that wasn't the plan hope all along and it ends up being the smarter move...

1 hour ago, Sébastien said:

Just throwing that out there, but it seems that their increase in promotion coincides with TFC being officially eliminated from the playoffs. Now I'm wondering if that wasn't the plan hope all along and it ends up being the smarter move...

I'd say "plan" ahead of "hope".

There's no denying that our 3 clubs having mediocre seasons and not making the playoffs will be CPL's gain.

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, RS said:

No way it was the plan. It's a happy coincidence, at best.

A plan built around the misfortunes of a nearby team in a different league is a piss-poor plan.

I think it was more about waiting for the TFC season to be over so they could get more attention than banking on mediocre seasons

Official Stadium plans

http://canpl.ca/video/york-9-fc-unveils-stadiums-plans-for-2019-and-beyond

YORK-Map-730x453.jpg

Year 1 

Alumni Field

we’ll temporarily be at Alumni Field, where we’ll build an experience that’s very close to what people will see from a viewing standpoint of what they’ll see at Lions Stadium

Alumni Field is located a kilometer northwest of York Lions Stadium. York 9 will play its games at its temporary venue until the conversion and its accompanying renovations are completed.

With renovations expected to run through spring and summer with the hope of York 9 moving into York Lions Stadium for the final stretch of home matches, the club also has ambitious plans to build its own soccer-specific CPL stadium.

YORK-Stadium-730x453.jpg

Alumni-Field-Rendering-Oct-15-2018-730x5

Year 2 & 3

York Lions Stadium 

• 8,000-seat multi-purpose stadium is being replaced with a new turf playing surface that will host games midway through 2019
  • It will be as close to Tier 1 as you can get with temporary grandstands
  • In addition to creating an intimate soccer-viewing experience, the club says its periphery niceties, including a sizeable craft beer and food truck selection, will appeal to its supporters.

“We’re creating a small craft beer festival every game for people to enjoy,” Ganzhorn explained. “We think it will be appealing to the university crowd and all sports enthusiasts within York Region.

“We want to create something that speaks to that millennial but also is relevant to the true soccer fan. It’s about creating the combination of an inviting environment, where there’s something for everybody, and developing something special on the pitch in a way that’s authentic in order to create good football viewing.”

Encircled by craft beer tents and a variety of food truck options, the south end of York Lions Stadium will act as a standing-room area for the club’s more rambunctious supporter groups. The north end of the stadium will feature a more relaxed beer garden in front of corporate suites.

York-2-1-730x511.jpg

• Both ends are flanked by Corner Kick Executive Suites the club says are a first-of-their-kind in Canada, featuring bar service, tables and 20 pitch-facing seats.
  • The Club Seats behind each bench are for season seat members who prefer to reserve their own chairs for every fixture.

York-3-730x511.jpg

• The west stand’s second deck features premium and corporate partner suites that have access to a private indoor club and washrooms. And, for those interested in looking down on the action, a second GA seating level rests atop the press box and partner suites.

YORK-LionsStadium-730x453.jpg

Beyond Year 3

“We’re looking to build a 12-15,000 seat stadium that will truly bring the best experience to our fans. In the meantime, we have a great accessible option at York University that’s close to transit. The future is bright for York 9 as we move towards our own soccer specific stadium.”

*we've seen this online

jlkctuh55bx01.jpg

Edited by Ansem

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Hope this doesn't mean marked fieldturf with visible Canadian football lines initially.

https://yorkulions.ca/sports/2013/4/12/GEN_0412133923.aspx?tab=yorkstadium

I was thinking the same thing. It would be best if those markings were removed entirely, until Y9 move to the newly-renovated York Lions Stadium later in the year.

I am curious about York Lions Stadium, actually. When it says that the stadium will get a "new turf playing surface," does this mean field turf?

Looks like their worries about the construction schedule was true. Interestingly, I had initially thought Alumni Field was a better option since there isn't tracks (though with news that tracks are being removed for Lion's Stadium that point is moot). 

I intend to get the $199 supporters tickets, but as a shorter person, I asked Ben if there were plans to have steps like with terraces (and apparently they are looking into that depending on demand). May also consider just getting the regular season seats in the stand though, as I would like to focus on watching the game sometimes. An in between like my current seats in 111 for TFC would be great!

9 hours ago, Toronto Ruffrider said:

...I am curious about York Lions Stadium, actually. When it says that the stadium will get a "new turf playing surface," does this mean field turf?

Another obvious question would be where the Ontario Arrows Major League Rugby team fits into all of this given they plan to use the York Lions Stadium as well for a season that runs from January to June:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Rugby

It's also not clear that a stadium that was supposed to provide a legacy for track and field after the Pan Am games can be retrofitted for soccer and rugby to any huge extent beyond the use of Swangard style temporary seating over the track and supporters groups standing behind the two goals. The main problem is the pitch is too narrow for high level soccer, which is probably why the York Lions soccer team appear to prefer Alumni Field despite it being marked fielturf rather than natural grass.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

...or they just made a series of big group sales (youth soccer clubs are the prime suspects). They have had reasonable media coverage previously on a few occasions with no huge boost in membership, so would be a bit bizarre if there was a sudden isolated one city spike like this based on random people visiting them through login.canpl.ca

3 hours ago, ted said:

Funny how increased media presence coincides with membership bump... almost like they were related. ;)

What is the media presence you are referring to? I'm honestly asking. I haven't noticed anything but maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Are you talking about coverage of the open trials? Has there been coverage outside of the CPL website/Facebook page/twitter (I assume, I'm not on twitter).

Season Seat Info is out. Scratch getting seats in the stand, $499 is way too expensive! I'd be paying $100 over my TFC seats.

Pick your place to cheer on your local pro club

Choose from 4 seating zones:

One
General Admission Supporter Zone 
Standing only
$199*
(13.50*/match)

Two
General Admission Youth Soccer
& Family Grandstand
$399*
(27.00*/match)

Three
Club Seats
$499*
(34.00*/match)

Three
Club Plus (Center sections)
$699*
(47.00*/match)

Four
Team Bench Race Car Seats
Row 2
$899*
(60*/match)

Row 1
$999*
(67*/match)

*Plus taxes and admin fees, based on 15 home matches

-----------------------------

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Season Seat Info is out. Scratch getting seats in the stand, $499 is way too expensive! I'd be paying $100 over my TFC seats.

Pick your place to cheer on your local pro club

Choose from 4 seating zones:

One
General Admission Supporter Zone 
Standing only
$199*
(13.50*/match)

Two
General Admission Youth Soccer
& Family Grandstand
$399*
(27.00*/match)

Three
Club Seats
$499*
(34.00*/match)

Three
Club Plus (Center sections)
$699*
(47.00*/match)

Four
Team Bench Race Car Seats
Row 2
$899*
(60*/match)

Row 1
$999*
(67*/match)

*Plus taxes and admin fees, based on 15 home matches

-----------------------------

Jeeeez, if Halifax was pricing like this I sure wouldn't be buying season tickets.