York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

3 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

york9.thumb.png.5de8758ff32a8736e52131a28b9bea0a.png

Honestly, I love the custom scarf idea, and the certificate is pretty good too. If I was single I would probably be jumping on this right now. With a young family and not knowing when these games will be makes it a tougher argument.

The pricing structure and seating structure is laughable to me.....simple math tells me the cheapest SEAT (not standing room which for anyone with a family, or is older, or for whom sitting is really the only option), to buy would cost me over $30 per game ($399 +tax and fees takes it to over $450 for 15 games) --- this is patently ridiculous -- and if buying a seasons seat is the "cheapest" way to buy tickets - I would have to imagine that it would be cheaper than buying single game seats (or else why buy a season seat?) --- then do they honestly think anyone is going to walk-up and pay upwards of $35 a seat to watch this level of soccer -- in the elements, with no roof and clearly not as polished a game-day experience which a soccer fan could get down at BMO? Remember that most of the other markets don't have another (better) soccer alternative within an hour or so of their team, so I get that the demand will be higher in those markets and I would bet that like in the CFL the "smaller" markets will support this product better (maybe Hamilton and the West Coast team are close enough to MLS teams by comparison - although I think most people from Hamilton have a much stronger identity as being from Hamilton and will support a "local" team (and not Toronto), than people from York Region consider themselves as being "not from Toronto")......

I live in RH and could get to York in maybe 10-15 minutes so this should be a huge incentive for me to support this team (yay its close!)! -- a trip to BMO is about an hour for me by car --- would I spend at or near the same amount of money (I can park for $5 at York or $10-$15 at BMO) to see what is clearly an inferior product in an inferior setting for the difference of 45 minutes? not a chance --- I'm not even getting to the fact that my actual seats are almost 50% (?!) cheaper than York 9 seats too....frankly you could probably go to most TFC games that aren't in July or August (trust me TFC games in March, April, May, September and October are much much cheaper) for $40 or less for most games off of the secondary market.....and you get to potentially see Zlatan, Almiron, Giovinco, Villa, Davies, and other "names" that may actually resonate with the casual soccer fan etc. - I could also sell off the games I don't go to and offset my cost with TFC seats somewhat - this will not be the case with York 9 seats where the place will be mostly empty and all seats are GA anyways.....

The other point that is staggering to me is that the seats are almost all UNRESERVED --- so if I spend the minimum of $450 to buy a single season SEAT (I have to spend even more to get a club seat) - anyone could cherry pick which games to go to based on their schedule or the weather (etc.) and sit better than I do if they just show up earlier that day? what's my incentive to buy early? a scarf and a piece of paper for zero flexibility? ummmm, no thanks (other teams are giving away jerseys with season seat purchases for anyone too enamored with getting a scarf).....if anyone honestly believes that they will not be able to buy individual tickets for less than $30 a game when the time comes, than I have some real estate to sell you on a swamp in Florida.....and again as seats are unreserved - the incentive to buy for all of the games at once is minimal as it's not like buying early gets me a better seat.....or frankly a better price....

I guarantee these seats will be discounted constantly and given away constantly at less than $30 --- groupon and the like will be used extensively - as they have been for TFC and the Argos (who undercut my Season Seat price constantly this year - I am dropping those seats now) and other such "minor league teams" as a means of offloading unsold seats, of which there will be plenty for York 9 (at current rates of interest if they sell 1500 season seats that will be a lot) --- If I can buy an Argos season ticket (a decent upper seat can go for about $20 as a ST) or an OHL season ticket in Mississauga or Oshawa (about $14-$17 per as a ST), for much less than a CPL season ticket which is priced at about $30 a seat - then you have clearly missed the mark in my opinion....does any other CPL team have an entire sideline that is GA? ie. that at least doesn't portion off sections along the side by price-point.....it's ridiculous to think that using the BMO Field model --- I could buy a season seat on the "Upper West Side", but whether I get to sit in Section 220 (end line) or Section 223 (mid field) is entirely dependent on when I show up that day?  my incentive to buy a season seat is what then exactly?

Frankly --- I am dumbfounded as to why they would not at least "portion off" the centre part of the family side for "Season Ticket Holders" as an incentive to get the best "seats" if one buys a season ticket is beyond me....the supporters section at about $200 is the only thing that makes sense to be honest, as the rest of the stadium pricing is ludicrous especially for unreserved GA style of seating for STH.....

Again - I wish them well -- but at $30 a SEAT for an unreserved STH and even more (apparently) for walk-up sales, I think this is a train wreck waiting to happen --- and we haven't even gotten to the product on the field......

I am questioning the pricing as well for all the reasons previously mentioned (Not comparable to other markets, local competition, etc.). It's easier for a team to hit the ground running rather than rebound and fix a bad situation. With that in mind, unless this team is signing some high profile player from Europe or has some other sound plan, Y9's success off the pitch is a big question mark IMO.

The lack of graduated pricing along the sidelines is a real head-scratcher for me - you could be paying $399 + taxes + "fees" for a corner flag seat for all you know (not that you'd ever be in that situation with these prices anyway).

I guess that brings up another point - if it's GA then everyone will flock towards midfield and the corners are going to look hella empty on whatever type of broadcasting they use.

Think there's only bleacher style bench seating at Alumni Field, so there's probably no easy way to assign seating. The other issue lumbering over the horizon now it's no longer going to be Lions Stadium for most or all of next season is the permanent Canadian football markings. If people show up at a seat selection event expecting there to be a pristine grass field and see that instead, I suspect they would lose a few sales. 

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Honestly for an average price of what 35 dollars they will be lucky to get 2000 people in the stands after the first two games.  Or you could have tickets average 20 bucks, clearly undercut TFC and hope to get 4-5000 asses in seats and build this thing into something and make more money. The more I see the more worried I am.  I truly hope I am wrong and will go to support Canadian soccer, but really think York9 may be in trouble with in a few years.

50 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Honestly for an average price of what 35 dollars they will be lucky to get 2000 people in the stands after the first two games.  Or you could have tickets average 20 bucks, clearly undercut TFC and hope to get 4-5000 asses in seats and build this thing into something and make more money. The more I see the more worried I am.  I truly hope I am wrong and will go to support Canadian soccer, but really think York9 may be in trouble with in a few years.

They may be in trouble in mere months at this rate.

We're getting four seats at $28 per seat/game for Forge FC. They will be on around the CFL 40 yard line, which will be really good seats. There are two price points below these seats, not including the supporter's section which, like York9, are at $13. If I hadn't grown up in Hamilton, York 9 would likely be my team as they are much closer to us. But, I wouldn't consider buying season's at their prices. Something's got to give...ticket prices, or attendance.

I "love" that people keep saying that it's $27 (or less) for a SEAT, or that is how they "list" it in their advertising --- taxes and fees (read the fine print) take the cheapest $399 ST to over $450 -- at 15 games that's over $30 per (never mind non-ST pricing). I'm reading all of these excuses from their staff about the costs York 9 has in comparison to other CPL teams in terms of of building an infrastructure (ie. stadium) and such; ummm how is that my responsibility as a fan to pay for - seeing as I have literally seen nothing yet in regards to this franchise in terms of their investment in the product (in fact our GM/VP and coach are the same guy?)?

FYI - all of this money spent on infrastructure is for a "temporary home" that apparently is going to be gone in 3 years when they build an even bigger and better one --- so prices will go up then even more too I guess - so why am I investing in this temporary structure again? My long standing passion for a team that doesn''t even exist yet?, the huge dollars spent on bringing in high-end talent? --- They are at the "show me" stage of things, and we the customer are being asked to pay on blind faith ---  they are selling us a brochure and magic beans - at this stage, it's time to get the  few people actually interested in trying your product (about 500 or so?) in the door cheaply (maybe with their kids - a family of 2 adults and 2 kids should be no more than $50 for this level of soccer), so they can see your product, don't turn them off before you even get a chance to show us how "awesome" this is all going to be.....

The seem to forget that they have no built in relationship with their fan base (such as it is) - no long-term commitment based on any goodwill in the market yet, not a single player I can point to yet and say - "that's someone I want to support"; and I am supposed to front this operation with ridiculous pricing?

I have seen arguments saying "what did you expect to pay for pro soccer in Toronto"? ummmmm isn't the whole point that this is "York Region's" team and not Toronto's team, don't compare it to Toronto, that is a losing game (better league, better stadium, higher end talent and with some seats even cheaper than York 9's) --- Toronto has a team it's called Toronto FC, you are selling a "local" team to a local market --- people from downtown Toronto are not buying York 9 tickets -- you are trying to sell tickets to Newmarket and Aurora and Richmond Hill (etc.), not Parkdale and High Park -- your market is suburban families - hence the big "soccer club" push, (and York Students I guess for supporters seats) who are looking for inexpensive entertainment options for their families -- once you are at $30+ a seat (I'm sorry but parents are't taking their kids to "stand" in supporters areas) - you are way out to left field --- the comparison of what you would pay for a "mid-field seat to TFC" and how this is way cheaper is a silly one --- a lot of people are looking for the "cheapest non-standing option available", especially for minor league entertainment, and this team has given them no such option ---- hypothetically if I don't arrive early and get stuck sitting in the "ends of the Family Section" at $30+ a ticket (heaven forbid the stadium was full), I am paying more for York 9 than I would for TFC sitting in Light Greys - that is simply ludicrous.....the lack of graded pricing along the sides is silly and provides no real incentive to buy a whole season early ( a scarf? please...you just look cheap saying we can't afford to give jerseys as we have to worry about building a "temporary" (my words) stadium).......

Hey, the GTA has a long history of supporting "minor league" sports extremely well right? I'm sure this will all work out just fine and no tickets will be discounted below the $30 mark once the season starts --- keep charging $30-$40 for an unreserved seat and expect families to show up spending $150+ for lower-tiered soccer in an outdoor stadium with no roof --- good luck with that......I know many of those 500 or so names that have no intention of buying season seats after seeing this - so if they think that number really means something in terms of actual season seat sales, they will be sorely mistaken.....my $50 is gone -- apparently that will not even be able to afford me a single pair of seats to take my child and test out their product.....ha ha ha.....

1 hour ago, Team Canada said:

FYI - all of this money spent on infrastructure is for a "temporary home" that apparently is going to be gone in 3 years when they build an even bigger and better one --- so prices will go up then even more too I guess - so why am I investing in this temporary structure again?

I agree with everything you've said, but apparently from what I heard York U is paying for the temp stadium renovations (something I am supremely unhappy about as a York U employee). If that's true, the pricing is likely to pay for the new stadium not the renovations - and hopefulyl won't result in a further price increase. Either way, I agree it shouldn't be framed as fans' problem to solve. Besides, if it meant a more reasonable price point, I'd gladly stay at York U until a fan base is built - if that takes 10 - 20 years, so be it.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:12 PM, Team Canada said:

I live in RH and could get to York in maybe 10-15 minutes so this should be a huge incentive for me to support this team (yay its close!)! -- a trip to BMO is about an hour for me by car --- would I spend at or near the same amount of money (I can park for $5 at York or $10-$15 at BMO) to see what is clearly an inferior product in an inferior setting for the difference of 45 minutes? not a chance --- I'm not even getting to the fact that my actual seats are almost 50% (?!) cheaper than York 9 seats too....

So, the only part I'm questioning in your post is that you're paying half price at TFC!  Are your seats in the south end?  I know I'm paying about the same level for TFC that Y9 is looking for, and I am having a hard time getting my head around that (also coming from RH).

What caught my eye is the west-east  east-west seating is reversed between the two stadiums.

So the '$$$' seats in Alumni Field for afternoon/eventing games have us staring into the sun.

Then the switch is made and the '$$$' seats at York Lions Field have the sun at our backs.  

Maybe not as bad now that I've had my cataracts removed but that won't help my cheapish camera from taking cameo pictures when staring at the sun.  

15 hours ago, paul-collins said:

So, the only part I'm questioning in your post is that you're paying half price at TFC!  Are your seats in the south end?  I know I'm paying about the same level for TFC that Y9 is looking for, and I am having a hard time getting my head around that (also coming from RH).

I have light greys in the upper west side and am paying around $20-$21 or so a ticket all in - and yes, I have legacy type of pricing that new STH would not pay (a year or two ago I was at around $19+ I think)....so maybe I'm at about 30-35% cheaper (I guess I made a slight exaggeration at "almost 50%" that I mentioned earlier but still the point is I'm paying significantly less for a better/higher end product and stadium experience (an actual reserved seat with players that have some "name brand quality")......once the actual cost of the $399 +tax ($450 or so plus fees for 15 games?) is determined as I am not sure what that amount is exactly, but I'm guessing we will be pushing that per game cost closer to $31-$32 a game) ---

So to be more clear (and fair to Y9), I'm paying about 35% less at TFC than I would at York 9 to sit and watch soccer played at a lower level. I think the point is basically the same ---If you want a cheaper alternative than Y9 you can probably find it at TFC on a game by game basis too, where many games can be had for under $40 on the secondary market (especially anything outside of July and August or on a weeknight) ---

FYI - if you go and its empty at Y9 you can sit in the middle with your GA seat (apparently that's the big up-sell as to how my $32 Y9 ticket is way better than my $21 TFC seat (ie. the location "might be" better as it is unreserved) --- you can also do that at TFC for a lot of games too in the spring and fall - ie. go and sit in the middle sections -- I know this first hand as I did so yesterday and sat in the middle in Section 123 when those sections were left empty too..... ;)

The point is on the high end of TFC seats at $1000-$2000 a ticket I would agree that the value for your dollar is not there the same way as it would be for a CPL team at a fraction of that cost, and I think TFC will lose the people at the high end of things (Dark Grey/Red pricing) as the teams' fortunes go down and mainstream popularity diminishes --- but the long term season ticket holders in the middle to light greys and supporter tickets are not seeing a big enough discrepancy in cost to justify the move to Y9 in my opinion......the debate is whether people who are paying for the high end experience at BMO will either choose to pay for a lower end experience at Y9 (I have my doubts), or will they be priced so high for the premium seats at Y9 that it won't be a significant enough savings to move to a lower-tier level of soccer without a roof over their heads, and without the same level of cache to impress clients that they might get in premium areas at BMO....

Again - I wish them well and would like it to succeed but coming out of the gate at this price point (and beyond) still seems ridiculous to me when the core marketing push to me is likely suburban families who in my opinion are looking for alternative cheaper entertainment options for their family and not other more expensive ones which are already clearly available with many other pro sports teams (NHL/NBA/MLB/MLS etc.) in the area.....I simply cannot see that there is a pent-up demand for a family of four to go to a game at what will cost $130-$150 for tickets to see players almost no one outside of soccer die-hards have heard of --- I think we have enough evidence of the failure of "minor-league teams" or third tier level sports in this area to know that this is the case....if people in this area do not consider it "major league" (ie. the top level of the sport in the world, or in MLS' case the top level in North America (ok it's not Liga MX but at least TFC showed that they and other top MLS teams could compete with Liga MX) and still TFC is backed to the tune of a $20 Million plus payroll with players good enough to be on their National team or play in a World Cup), then it simply will be shunned/ignored eventually to be nothing more than a very tiny niche audience (Toronto Lynx anyone? and they weren't competing with a TFC at the time).....frankly even TFC struggles in ratings on TV and is a small niche market (50K-100K) in Toronto too --- there are just too many signs pointing to a minor league soccer team in this market being a really hard sell, especially without the financial clout of an MLSE type of ownership and marketing power who can put a TFC logo beside a Raptors and Leafs logo to make them at least "look" equivalent to the average sports fans eyes  --- adding pricing for Y9 that is not commensurate with the quality of the product being sold, sure as heck doesn't help....

Edited by Team Canada

On 10/26/2018 at 3:11 PM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Season Seat Info is out. Scratch getting seats in the stand, $499 is way too expensive! I'd be paying $100 over my TFC seats.

Pick your place to cheer on your local pro club

Choose from 4 seating zones:

One
General Admission Supporter Zone 
Standing only
$199*
(13.50*/match)

Two
General Admission Youth Soccer
& Family Grandstand
$399*
(27.00*/match)

Three
Club Seats
$499*
(34.00*/match)

Three
Club Plus (Center sections)
$699*
(47.00*/match)

Four
Team Bench Race Car Seats
Row 2
$899*
(60*/match)

Row 1
$999*
(67*/match)

*Plus taxes and admin fees, based on 15 home matches

-----------------------------

They should really squeeze a $299 option into the GA Youth & family far end section on either side.

3 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

They should really squeeze a $299 option into the GA Youth & family far end section on either side.

Honestly this.

I can understand the argument that they can't assign seating with a bleacher setup (they want me to pay $399/person to sit on a bleacher?), but there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't section off the middle bleachers for "premium bleacher" seating (lol) and have a cheaper option in the low 300s towards each goal line.

Like others above me said, raising funds for stadium upgrades, start-up costs, JB's third car, etc. is a problem for investors, not for me as a consumer.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:12 PM, Team Canada said:

The pricing structure and seating structure is laughable to me.....simple math tells me the cheapest SEAT (not standing room which for anyone with a family, or is older, or for whom sitting is really the only option), to buy would cost me over $30 per game ($399 +tax and fees takes it to over $450 for 15 games) --- this is patently ridiculous -- and if buying a seasons seat is the "cheapest" way to buy tickets - I would have to imagine that it would be cheaper than buying single game seats (or else why buy a season seat?) --- then do they honestly think anyone is going to walk-up and pay upwards of $35 a seat to watch this level of soccer -- in the elements, with no roof and clearly not as polished a game-day experience which a soccer fan could get down at BMO? Remember that most of the other markets don't have another (better) soccer alternative within an hour or so of their team, so I get that the demand will be higher in those markets and I would bet that like in the CFL the "smaller" markets will support this product better (maybe Hamilton and the West Coast team are close enough to MLS teams by comparison - although I think most people from Hamilton have a much stronger identity as being from Hamilton and will support a "local" team (and not Toronto), than people from York Region consider themselves as being "not from Toronto")......

I live in RH and could get to York in maybe 10-15 minutes so this should be a huge incentive for me to support this team (yay its close!)! -- a trip to BMO is about an hour for me by car --- would I spend at or near the same amount of money (I can park for $5 at York or $10-$15 at BMO) to see what is clearly an inferior product in an inferior setting for the difference of 45 minutes? not a chance --- I'm not even getting to the fact that my actual seats are almost 50% (?!) cheaper than York 9 seats too....frankly you could probably go to most TFC games that aren't in July or August (trust me TFC games in March, April, May, September and October are much much cheaper) for $40 or less for most games off of the secondary market.....and you get to potentially see Zlatan, Almiron, Giovinco, Villa, Davies, and other "names" that may actually resonate with the casual soccer fan etc. - I could also sell off the games I don't go to and offset my cost with TFC seats somewhat - this will not be the case with York 9 seats where the place will be mostly empty and all seats are GA anyways.....

The other point that is staggering to me is that the seats are almost all UNRESERVED --- so if I spend the minimum of $450 to buy a single season SEAT (I have to spend even more to get a club seat) - anyone could cherry pick which games to go to based on their schedule or the weather (etc.) and sit better than I do if they just show up earlier that day? what's my incentive to buy early? a scarf and a piece of paper for zero flexibility? ummmm, no thanks (other teams are giving away jerseys with season seat purchases for anyone too enamored with getting a scarf).....if anyone honestly believes that they will not be able to buy individual tickets for less than $30 a game when the time comes, than I have some real estate to sell you on a swamp in Florida.....and again as seats are unreserved - the incentive to buy for all of the games at once is minimal as it's not like buying early gets me a better seat.....or frankly a better price....

I guarantee these seats will be discounted constantly and given away constantly at less than $30 --- groupon and the like will be used extensively - as they have been for TFC and the Argos (who undercut my Season Seat price constantly this year - I am dropping those seats now) and other such "minor league teams" as a means of offloading unsold seats, of which there will be plenty for York 9 (at current rates of interest if they sell 1500 season seats that will be a lot) --- If I can buy an Argos season ticket (a decent upper seat can go for about $20 as a ST) or an OHL season ticket in Mississauga or Oshawa (about $14-$17 per as a ST), for much less than a CPL season ticket which is priced at about $30 a seat - then you have clearly missed the mark in my opinion....does any other CPL team have an entire sideline that is GA? ie. that at least doesn't portion off sections along the side by price-point.....it's ridiculous to think that using the BMO Field model --- I could buy a season seat on the "Upper West Side", but whether I get to sit in Section 220 (end line) or Section 223 (mid field) is entirely dependent on when I show up that day?  my incentive to buy a season seat is what then exactly?

Frankly --- I am dumbfounded as to why they would not at least "portion off" the centre part of the family side for "Season Ticket Holders" as an incentive to get the best "seats" if one buys a season ticket is beyond me....the supporters section at about $200 is the only thing that makes sense to be honest, as the rest of the stadium pricing is ludicrous especially for unreserved GA style of seating for STH.....

Again - I wish them well -- but at $30 a SEAT for an unreserved STH and even more (apparently) for walk-up sales, I think this is a train wreck waiting to happen --- and we haven't even gotten to the product on the field......

I agree completely.  The pricing structure makes no sense at all.  The idea is getting fans into the seats, not driving them away with a price point that is just too high.  My wife and I are seasons ticket holders for TFC and for club seats to York 9 we would be asked to pay over $200 more for seasons tickets in a league that has yet to play a competitive game.   I am not trying to take any shots at the league, I want this league to succeed, but I think Yorks management have dropped the ball here.  I can't help but wonder if there was not a bit of ignorance simply thinking that the people will come out "because they do for TFC."  I was fully intending to buy tickets until I saw those prices.  I live in Mississauga and getting to York U is a bit of a challenge and now with this added to the mix, it is going to be a no for me. 

This is a bizarre price structure.

I was more than willing to support the league and put $500 into it for a pair of tickets, knowing that it would be unlikely I'd attend more than two to three games per year since I live downtown.

But the fact that the lowest priced pair of seats is $1000 (estimate on $400 + 10% fees + 13% tax), and I don't even get an assigned seat for that cost?  Laughable.  What's the benefit of being a season seat holder over a single game ticket purchaser?  A scarf that has my, uh, season ticket number inscribed in it?  

Just...woof.