York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

6 minutes ago, masster said:

I never said York 9 should 'take' Inebriati. But if Inebriati chooses they would like to support York 9, I don't have a problem with it.

I do cause it's solely out of spite and gives you an idea of who exactly they are: a group which is more about themselves and the bullshit behavior they bring than the team they claim to cheer for.

If they want to become an official York 9 group they should be forced to drop their name and accept whatever restrictions York 9 impose on them. 

I never said York 9 should 'take' Inebriati. But if Inebriati chooses they would like to support York 9, I don't have a problem with it.

I do cause it's solely out of spite and gives you an idea of who exactly they are: a group which is more about themselves and the bullshit behavior they bring than the team they claim to cheer for.

If they want to become an official York 9 group they should be forced to drop their name and accept whatever restrictions York 9 impose on them. 

22 minutes ago, matty said:

Considering York9 is appealing to, and trying to build their fanbase out from, the youth soccer community, yes they should be very careful about Inebriatti

4 hours ago, matty said:

How would it be solely out of spite if their next local pro team is York 9?  Would that not just be a logical progression rather than spite?  Are they just supposed to go from being hardcore supporters to having no team or solely travel to away matches? 

As far as I’m concerned, if TFC has banned these guys and they’re truly football fans then you can expect them in CPL. It’s just common sense.

11 minutes ago, Keegan said:

How would it be solely out of spite if their next local pro team is York 9?  Would that not just be a logical progression rather than spite?  Are they just supposed to go from being hardcore supporters to having no team or solely travel to away matches? 

As far as I’m concerned, if TFC has banned these guys and they’re truly football fans then you can expect them in CPL. It’s just common sense.

If they really are serious fans and not just trouble makers, then IMO they should join/start another group to support York 9, rather than bring the baggage their group name would come with. 

20 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Well they've been quiet on York9's existence on both their Twitter and Facebook and follow neither the league or York 9 on Twitter (unlike other TFC groups ). Them jumping to York 9 now would (rightfully IMO, because they have a history of being petty and not accepting punishment) be seen as a reactionary move to their banning and would send a bad message.

I also stress that they are hardcore TORONTO FC supporters.

If they want to be an official group they have to retire their name and agree to whatever restrictions York 9 place on them and play by the rules.

Edited by matty

12 minutes ago, matty said:

Well they've been quiet on York9's existence on both their Twitter and Facebook and follow neither the league or York 9 on Twitter (unlike other TFC groups ). Them jumping to York 9 now would (rightfully IMO, because they have a history of being petty and not accepting punishment) be seen as a reactionary move to their banning and would send a bad message.

I also stress that they are hardcore TORONTO FC supporters.

If they want to be an official group they have to retire their name and agree to whatever restrictions York 9 place on them and play by the rules.

Of course they are hardcore tfc fans but that didn’t just happen overnight.  They started as supporters of other clubs and that passion will live on (if they’re truly football fans). 

Maybe they shouldn’t keep their name but I think (and I know others do too) that it’s the funniest name for a supporters group I’ve heard.  It’s not trying to be thuggish like some hooligan group (ie Chelsea headhunters), it’s just funny. 

The group attracted a few idiots who took it too far but to turn down passionate fans (the majority are) I’d say is stupid.

If you look back in history a lot of clubs/supporters came from funny stories.  I think an exiled tfc supporters group is a cool kind of story.. it almost creates an instant rivalry.  We need these kinds of tension/stories imo to build a brand that competes with mls.. this is just another angle.

And hey, if they’re going to bring 200 guys to Halifax on a Saturday and help kick this league into gear I say welcome and hopefully you learned your lesson with tfc.  If they become negative ban them but at this moment.. they fit right in with CPL aka the forgotten fans. 

Edited by Keegan

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

Of course they are hardcore tfc fans but that didn’t just happen overnight.  They started as supporters of other clubs and that passion will live on (if they’re truly football fans). 

All true but they are linked to TFC rather deeply. If they showed up for day 1 for York 9 and did the exact same stuff with the same imagery what does that say about soccer fandom in Canada and how is the club building its own culture?

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Maybe they shouldn’t keep their name but I think (and I know others do too) that it’s the funniest name for a supporters group I’ve heard.  It’s not trying to be thuggish like some hooligan group (ie Chelsea headhunters), it’s just funny. 

The group attracted a few idiots who took it too far but to turn down passionate fans (the majority are) I’d say is stupid.

I agree it's a great name but sadly it kept popping up in national headlines linked to violence, fires, bullshit signs and other crap. If York 9 want to be a faimily friendly affair, the name and attitude have to go.

1 minute ago, matty said:

All true but they are linked to TFC rather deeply. If they showed up for day 1 for York 9 and did the exact same stuff with the same imagery what does that say about soccer fandom in Canada and how is the club building its own culture?

I agree it's a great name but sadly it kept popping up in national headlines linked to violence, fires, bullshit signs and other crap. If York 9 want to be a faimily friendly affair, the name and attitude have to go.

Same imagery? Let’s not act like these guys were Millwall... they did a few off things.  But here’s the thing no one knows who they are!  Alphonso Davies captured “national headlines” and no one knows who he is... you think people know about  inebriatti?? We’d be lucky if they’ve even heard of CPL.

No one knows what inebriatti did except a few people who follows local soccer.. that’s it.

Mike Newell from The Forge in Hamilton (posing with me) and some Can Prem league office staff helping out had a booth at Allstate Soccer Show at The Hangar in Downsview earlier today.   York 9 FC who have a stadium just 6 km up the street weren't present at all.

Forge were here to attract some western edge GTA fans from say Mississauga.    

Can Prem staff were making excuses as to why  York 9 were absent  ie maybe a player acquisition but I still say this was a missed opportunity.  

Geez they had Montreal Impact players at the first session of autograph signings (I'd assume so they could catch their plane back to Montreal with their teammates).  

They must have had a few thousands pass through the doors.  I cut out to see the TFC III vs North Mississauga League 1 Ontario game the other side of the parking lot at the BMO Training Centre so I could post a game report later in the week under (you know that forgotten forum under "Canadian Teams and Leagues").  De Ro's son played again while he was marooned here at an autograph session. 

I returned maybe three hours later and they had turned over for a whole new crowd.  ie the 500+ prenoon crowd had flipped over to a 900+ different crowd, and may have flipped one more time because the Women's National team were just going to take the stage and later do an autograph session when I cut out again so I could drive to see Woodbridge play Sigma FC.  

The crowd were mostly soccer playing kids and their parents (the target demographic of York 9).  

And I should also add, The Voyageurs had a tent right beside this one so it couldn't have been too expensive if anything to be here.  

Aug26327.jpg

Edited by Rocket Robin

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Same imagery? Let’s not act like these guys were Millwall... they did a few off things.  But here’s the thing no one knows who they are!  Alphonso Davies captured “national headlines” and no one knows who he is... you think people know about  inebriatti?? We’d be lucky if they’ve even heard of CPL.

No one knows what inebriatti did except a few people who follows local soccer.. that’s it.

imagery meaning flags, shirts, logos, ect. I'm not saying using the exact same but stuff similar to what they use with TFC

They've been covered on several occasions by CBC, CTV, TSN, Sportsnet, Vice, Global, The Athletic, City TV, Toronto Sun, Toronto Star and National Post. It would not be hard for a curious parent to Google who York 9 fans are before deciding if they want to take their kids. I've known people who will not take their kids to TFC games because they feel it isn't appropriate (I disagree but that's their call).

As unfortunate as is it, it kept happening and it was always pretty bad (trashing Saputo*, the TD Place fire, the sign) and now they're in need of a new and if they want to start fresh with a new club they have to let go of the past and that includes their name.

*that one isn't open and shut but they were blamed if ircc

Edited by matty

7 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Forge were here to attract some western edge GTA fans from say Mississauga.    

Can Prem staff were making excuses as to why  York 9 were absent  ie maybe a player acquisition but I still say this was a missed opportunity.  

I wasn't part of the skeptics when it came to York9's marketing efforts (or lack thereof), but this is really bad. If Forge FC can d it, so could York. No make that should.

On 8/26/2018 at 10:09 PM, Keegan said:

If you look back in history a lot of clubs/supporters came from funny stories.  I think an exiled tfc supporters group is a cool kind of story.. it almost creates an instant rivalry.  We need these kinds of tension/stories imo to build a brand that competes with mls.. this is just another angle.

FWIW, I agree - it is definitely unique and interesting.

1 hour ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

FWIW, I agree - it is definitely unique and interesting.

Cut to Peter Schaad in a Vancouver high rise in the tone of his valour road story “so you’re watching the game and all of a sudden the whole stand just went up in flames and these guys in that section were all coincidentally from inebriatti” 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Cut to Peter Schaad in a Vancouver high rise in the tone of his valour road story “so you’re watching the game and all of a sudden the whole stand just went up in flames and these guys in that section were all coincidentally from inebriatti” 

The insurance premiums for York9's wooden stadium would  be interesting with Inebriatti there

I suspect changing allegiances from one club to another breaks some sort of code that Ultras are supposed to have, so this is probably a big fuss over something that's not particularly likely to happen. Beyond that they are even less likely to be welcome at a club that has a marketing strategy that revolves around the youth soccer minivan crowd than they are at TFC where they've never had to do youth soccer group sales because of the strong season ticket culture.

Back to one of my favourite topics --- price points - as TFC renewals came out to STH on Tuesday for some comparison -- my light greys are about $415 a seat for the season (for 20 games or less than $21 per) so asking me to spend $399 for CPL for 15 games is ridiculous to me....as I am sure it will be for many others (and those that are investing in "expensive" TFC seats (whatever corporate base that TFC might have) are not likely "buying down" for an inferior product in a more "remote" market  that is not likely "impressing" too many clients).....I will be shocked to see a lot of people buying ST's outside of the supporters/end seats (the $199 ones) unless there are heavy discounts (beyond $50) that will be given privately to soccer clubs in the region to make this thing look good at the launch......surely those 250 "members" aren't all buying season tickets (I know I'm not, as many others I know who registered aren't either), and those are likely your most "engaged" fans who even know what York 9 actually is?! I don't see a lot of people dropping $800 for a pair of season seats or spending into the thousands if one heaven forbid wanted to take a family regularly and commit to York 9 as "their team"........

My TFC renewal e-mail arrived yesterday.  My one ticket in Section 108 is priced at $1534.00 and I get the preferred loyalty rate or whatever they call it when they split pricing between the Season 1 originals (where they brought the price back to 2007 rates after having such a bad season a few years ago) and newbies.   Those not getting that deal probably pay something like >$300 more.  

To me, York 9 tickets even in the best section are a bargain.  

4 hours ago, Team Canada said:

Back to one of my favourite topics --- price points - as TFC renewals came out to STH on Tuesday for some comparison -- my light greys are about $415 a seat for the season (for 20 games or less than $21 per) so asking me to spend $399 for CPL for 15 games is ridiculous to me....as I am sure it will be for many others (and those that are investing in "expensive" TFC seats (whatever corporate base that TFC might have) are not likely "buying down" for an inferior product in a more "remote" market  that is not likely "impressing" too many clients).....I will be shocked to see a lot of people buying ST's outside of the supporters/end seats (the $199 ones) unless there are heavy discounts (beyond $50) that will be given privately to soccer clubs in the region to make this thing look good at the launch......surely those 250 "members" aren't all buying season tickets (I know I'm not, as many others I know who registered aren't either), and those are likely your most "engaged" fans who even know what York 9 actually is?! I don't see a lot of people dropping $800 for a pair of season seats or spending into the thousands if one heaven forbid wanted to take a family regularly and commit to York 9 as "their team"........

You probably get a loyalty discount at TFC, not to mention that comparing some of the cheapest seats at BMO to York 9 isn't very fair when the average listed price for TFC season tickets is around $1,000.

5 hours ago, Team Canada said:

May I ask why you, and the others you know, registered for York9?