Jonathan David

Vince193

Being a Napoli fan would love to see him with Napoli next season . Osimhen who David replaced at Lille if I’m not mistaken , is most likely leaving Napoli after this season and David would be a perfect replacement for Osimhen. I can see David doing well for Napoli and in Serie A .

28 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Being a Napoli fan would love to see him with Napoli next season . Osimhen who David replaced at Lille if I’m not mistaken , is most likely leaving Napoli after this season and David would be a perfect replacement for Osimhen. I can see David doing well for Napoli and in Serie A .

Napoli and Serie A would be a fine destination for David in my books, but being a Napoli fan could you tell us your thoughts on how David would fit into their team if he's replacing Osimhen? What do you see as the similarities and differences in their game? Is the team currently built around Osimhen and if so, how much would have to change to build around David? Would they build around David? etc.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Napoli and Serie A would be a fine destination for David in my books, but being a Napoli fan could you tell us your thoughts on how David would fit into their team if he's replacing Osimhen? What do you see as the similarities and differences in their game? Is the team currently built around Osimhen and if so, how much would have to change to build around David? Would they build around David? etc.

It is impossible to say. Napoli has been in shambles this season. They are already on their 3rd manager (the current Slovakia manager) and he is only a caretaker until the end of the season. He could win the job full time, but they have also been linked with many others. So you would think they team would change significantly to reflect the will of the new coach.

10 minutes ago, masster said:

It is impossible to say. Napoli has been in shambles this season. They are already on their 3rd manager (the current Slovakia manager) and he is only a caretaker until the end of the season. He could win the job full time, but they have also been linked with many others. So you would think they team would change significantly to reflect the will of the new coach.

Forgot about the manager doing double duty there. Thanks for the insight!

23 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is Osimhen actually leaving Napoli? I heard that they’re looking for something crazy like €150M apiece for both him and Kvaratskheila. Seems like they want to keep him at all costs. 

I think they paid like 70M, so asking for seems reasonable given there investment. Whether they get that however is another matter, I guess. It's kind of like how Lille paid 30M for David and were looking for 60M. But as we know, nobody was willing to pay that and I think we'll see the same thing happen to Oshimen.

I am not an expert on football markets or global markets in general, but it does seem that global liquidity is drying up. Corporations and individuals alike are tightening their belts and cutting their expenses. Borrowing costs are higher than in years past, etc. 

If these are the trends in the global markets in general, why wouldn't they apply to the football markets in particular? I expect they have and will continue to do so, especially in Europe. The money coming out of Saudi Arabia is not enough to hold up the entire European football market, I don't think.

I suspect this is why we saw a slow down in the striker market last summer, which affected David, Oshimen and others from moving. It may be the same situation this summer as well. What do you think?

Edited by Obinna

37 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is Osimhen actually leaving Napoli? I heard that they’re looking for something crazy like €150M apiece for both him and Kvaratskheila. Seems like they want to keep him at all costs. 

Osimhen has a release clause in his contract around 125 million Euros. I don't think that is crazy at all for somebody of his age and talent. It is widely expected in Italy that he will be leaving for either Chelsea or Arsenal.

So there will be 2 teams in Italy with the need and funds to potentially purchase David: Milan and Napoli.

It sounds as though Milan have turned away from David and are looking at Sesko from Leipzig and Zirkzee from Bologna.

Whereas Napoli are a complete wildcard. You can never predict what they are going to do.

For our own selfish enjoyment, he needs to move to England. We've done France, we've done Germany, we have two players in La Liga (possibly three next year), Buchanan in Italy. We need a top player in the Premier League to complete the top five league invasion by our golden generation.

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think they paid like 70M, so asking for seems reasonable given there investment. Whether they get that however is another matter, I guess. It's kind of like how Lille paid 30M for David and were looking for 60M. But as we know, nobody was willing to pay that and I think we'll see the same thing happen to Oshimen.

I am not an expert on football markets or global markets in general, but it does seem that global liquidity is drying up. Corporations and individuals alike are tightening their belts and cutting their expenses. Borrowing costs are higher than in years past, etc. 

If these are the trends in the global markets in general, why wouldn't they apply to the football markets in particular? I expect they have and will continue to do so, especially in Europe. The money coming out of Saudi Arabia is not enough to hold up the entire European football market, I don't think.

I suspect this is why we saw a slow down in the striker market last summer, which affected David, Oshimen and others from moving. It may be the same situation this summer as well. What do you think?

I don't know much about how players are priced, but I assume that at this point, every summer's top target will break last year's highest sale, and so on. I believe the premier league transfer record was broken twice over the last 3 seasons. Last year alone, The Premier League and Bundesliga broke their transfer records (Saudi too), Declan Rice broke the transfer record for defenders by something along the lines of 30M euros, and the Prem record was also broken in 2021, 2018, and 2014. Also, PSG is losing Mbappe and need a new face to the club. They've already paid 222M for Neymar, 180 for Mbappe, 75 for Kolo Muani, so on, so maybe Osimhen does end up driving that insane fee.

1 minute ago, masster said:

Osimhen has a release clause in his contract around 125 million Euros.

This I didn't know, and I would assume someone triggers it. Just seems like every time you hear about Napoli's players, they're throwing some massive price tag on them and saying that they want to keep them both long term. Declan Rice went for like 115M euros last year too, so 7M more for one of the best strikers on earth feels right.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

I don't know much about how players are priced, but I assume that at this point, every summer's top target will break last year's highest sale, and so on. I believe the premier league transfer record was broken twice over the last 3 seasons. Last year alone, The Premier League and Bundesliga broke their transfer records (Saudi too), Declan Rice broke the transfer record for defenders by something along the lines of 30M euros, and the Prem record was also broken in 2021, 2018, and 2014. Also, PSG is losing Mbappe and need a new face to the club. They've already paid 222M for Neymar, 180 for Mbappe, 75 for Kolo Muani, so on, so maybe Osimhen does end up driving that insane fee.

Good point and that could very well be the case, but maybe we see less of these high sales? Even if the sale prices continue to rise, which I think you may be right abaout, I think more and more clubs will incresingly not be able to participate in this game. At least that's what I think is going to happen. And I wonder if that's lead to stagnation in the market, like we saw last summer. Or, maybe that was a one-off. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Good point and that could very well be the case, but maybe we see less of these high sales? Even if the sale prices continue to rise, which I think you may be right abaout, I think more and more clubs will incresingly not be able to participate in this game. At least that's what I think is going to happen. And I wonder if that's lead to stagnation in the market, like we saw last summer. Or, maybe that was a one-off. 

Last summer was pretty lively, no? Enzo Fernandez and Caicedo went for 121 and 116 to Chelsea, Rice went for 116, Bellingham 103, Harry Kane 100, Gvardiol 90, even Kai Havertz went for 75M. Even in total, teams spent $9B in fees last year, up from $6.5B in 2022, and up from $7.35B in 2019, before Covid caused a sharp drop in spend. I think the teams who can't play this game probably wouldn't go for Osimhen in the first place, but I think teams like Madrid, PSG, Bayern, City, Chelsea, so on, will always have budget for the next big target. If all it takes is 125M to trigger his release clause, that's a fee that teams like PSG, Barcelona, and Atletico Madrid have already paid, and just a bit higher than fees that City, Arsenal, and Chelsea have paid, and it's not like others couldn't afford that either.

I do have a theory that this actually causes a depression in the market for players like David. Teams save their budget for these massive targets and then are forced to make savvy money ball moves to round out the roster. If your hypothetical options are Osimhen-tier player that will cost you 120M, Jonathan David tier player that will cost you 60M, or the next Jonathan David who is 19 and will cost you 25M? The first will be the best player, and the 3rd will be the cheapest one, so where do players in that middle market go? 

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Last summer was pretty lively, no? Enzo Fernandez and Caicedo went for 121 and 116 to Chelsea, Rice went for 116, Bellingham 103, Harry Kane 100, Gvardiol 90, even Kai Havertz went for 75M. Even in total, teams spent $9B in fees last year, up from $6.5B in 2022, and up from $7.35B in 2019, before Covid caused a sharp drop in spend. I think the teams who can't play this game probably wouldn't go for Osimhen in the first place, but I think teams like Madrid, PSG, Bayern, City, Chelsea, so on, will always have budget for the next big target. If all it takes is 125M to trigger his release clause, that's a fee that teams like PSG, Barcelona, and Atletico Madrid have already paid, and just a bit higher than fees that City, Arsenal, and Chelsea have paid, and it's not like others couldn't afford that either.

I do have a theory that this actually causes a depression in the market for players like David. Teams save their budget for these massive targets and then are forced to make savvy money ball moves to round out the roster. If your hypothetical options are Osimhen-tier player that will cost you 120M, Jonathan David tier player that will cost you 60M, or the next Jonathan David who is 19 and will cost you 25M? The first will be the best player, and the 3rd will be the cheapest one, so where do players in that middle market go? 

I think this is what I am getting at, because those middle market teams are the ones who are/should be getting squeezed by the general economic conditions (debt financing, declining revenues, etc.). 

You are right for sure about the overall market - I was thinking about the striker market specifically and the lack of movement. Remember when we were waiting for Kane to move to Bayern, so then Spurs could buy David? Or Osimhen to leave Napoli, so that Napoli could by David? I was referencing that. 

Ultimately, Spurs chose not to replace Kane at all. Maybe that was because the move came so late, or maybe it's just because the owner just refused to spend, or both. And while that may be a one-off, nobody moved for Osimhen last summer, who was the other big striker target for the biggest clubs. I recall us waiting on Vlahovic to leave Juventus, so that David could join, but he didn't leave (for Arsenal?).

Those were the 3 biggest strikers on the market and two of them didn't leave and one of them moved late. It'll be interesting to see what this summer will bring. 

13 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Good post. 

Then there is that typical situation where everyone is waiting on the teams that make the big sales, and the big early ones, as that money will then shift around and even down a bit, and affect the entire market.

If Bayern take 50 million for Davies they'll spend it on someone, it'll go to a couple pieces to cover Kimmich maybe, a winger, so anyone with a 25 million value defensive mid is waiting on that. Of course it moves all over the place, except where teams just can't move big in the market (my Barça for example). 

Madrid can do this, a relatively high transfer for a guy on the last year of his contract, because they are not paying anything for Mbappe. But the latter means spending 100 million a year before taxes, or something close, he's on a salary like Messi's at Barça (I find all those salaries ridiculously high). Madrid has an incredible new revenue maker, which is the renovated stadium, which has event and concert formats, they are set to make over 300 million a year on it (Taylor Swift adding concerts there, rumours of the next big Topuria fight in UFC). 

Then PSG, they don't get a transfer fee, but take the Kyllian salary off their books. That affects their capacity to buy on the market, somewhat, but it won't cause the ripples the Davies sale would. I like how PSG has been creating rumours about getting Vinicius, which is partly trying to get vengeance against Madrid, and partly a logical idea, as they play in very similar positions, have similar profiles, and one of them is going to have to be moved from the left side of the attack (while Davies sits behind them and watches the show). 

I think David is going to go for 35-40, not much more (though his scoring rate lately may make it jump again), but based on who sells, who gets salary off their books, how the ripples work. Then he'll have to decide if a team with funds (say Leverkusen sell a few pieces this summer), is at all interesting. I am not big on Napoli because he'll get compared unfavourably to Oshimen, not big on Leverkusen as I think they'll deflate. I would prefer one of the traditionally top 6 in EPL, or an AC Milan. I think the Spain options are not good at all.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist