Jonathan David

Vince193

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

you have to make sure they start with twitter.com not x.com.  Currently that means copy and pasting from the address bar. 

David and Zerghova have a bit of an animated conversation as they walk off the field at the half.  Probably from when David was making a run into the box with the ball and didn't lay it off across to an open Zerghova at the right of the box.  A bit rich coming from someone who is at the top of the list when it comes to hero ball. 

David subtly checked his run to create separation from his defender to receive the cut back pass from Bouaddi

Lille is going to get a nine-figure transfer fee from Bouaddi somewhere down the road.  Kid plays attacking mid doesn't turn 17 until October. 

Just subbed off early, guess the game is over.

Looking at the matchups, Villa and Ajax are playing each other which is good because those are two of the better teams. Fiorentina is playing a team from Israel and there are a few Belgian teams who could surprise, but I’m liking Lille’s chances at going very deep here. 

24 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

David and Zerghova have a bit of an animated conversation as they walk off the field at the half.  Probably from when David was making a run into the box with the ball and didn't lay it off across to an open Zerghova at the right of the box.  A bit rich coming from someone who is at the top of the list when it comes to hero ball. 

David subtly checked his run to create separation from his defender to receive the cut back pass from Bouaddi

Lille is going to get a nine-figure transfer fee from Bouaddi somewhere down the road.  Kid plays attacking mid doesn't turn 17 until October. 

They will probably sell off the young kid and somehow David will still be playing for Lille next year.

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Just subbed off early, guess the game is over.

Looking at the matchups, Villa and Ajax are playing each other which is good because those are two of the better teams. Fiorentina is playing a team from Israel and there are a few Belgian teams who could surprise, but I’m liking Lille’s chances at going very deep here. 

Shaping up for a decent end to the season for Lille actually.

David's goals a big part and should hopefully put him firmly in the shop window.  

Edit: And yeah Villa and Fiorentina are teams I have seen but really the only ones that should beat Lille.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Shaping up for a decent end to the season for Lille actually.

David's goals a big part and should hopefully put him firmly in the shop window.  

It feels kind of funny to actually cheer for Lille for once. I can’t wait until David gets out of there, but now that we’re here, he might actually end up adding another trophy to his case before he hopefully leaves later this year. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

It feels kind of funny to actually cheer for Lille for once. I can’t wait until David gets out of there, but now that we’re here, he might actually end up adding another trophy to his case before he hopefully leaves later this year. 

I might occasionally watch Lille post-David just to follow the trajectory of Bouaddi. 

3 hours ago, kacbru said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm perfectly happy if David retires as a Lille legend, has a few more runs at a Ligue 1 title, is a regular in European competitions and bags 20+ goals a season.

Same.  He's playing solid regular minutes and scoring, for a strong team in a very good league.  And regular EU football as well.  I'm happy.

Would rather see him underwhelm at a bigger club than be a Lille legend. Let’s see our players test themselves at the highest level. If he fails, Lille and Ligue 1 will always welcome him back with open arms, and hopefully, by the time that happens, maybe MLS is at a level where him coming back here isn’t the craziest thing to happen. 

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Would rather see him underwhelm at a bigger club than be a Lille legend. Let’s see our players test themselves at the highest level. If he fails, Lille and Ligue 1 will always welcome him back with open arms, and hopefully, by the time that happens, maybe MLS is at a level where him coming back here isn’t the craziest thing to happen. 

Hazard is still a Lille legend and left early. I think JDs legacy will remain intact.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hazard is still a Lille legend and left early. I think JDs legacy will remain intact.

I think what people mean is having JD become a legend alongside all of those guys who had 450 caps and 150 goals for Lille in like 1950 or whatever. I think, or would at least hope that David has already earned eternal admiration from LOSC fans though- not only is he a fantastic player who helped bring a title, and whatever happens during this year's Europa Conference, but he stayed with Lille for at least the first bit of his prime- whether that's the club's fault or not, he had a little bit more time for the fans to appreciate him than most other big names that passed through Lille.

Worst case scenario, David ends up like Pepe, but even he was given 3 years at Arsenal before they gave up on him. If David gets the same, we're looking at him being at a top club until he's 28, and by that age, if he goes back to France, it's probably fine, and by 2028, MLS quality should improve to the point where coming home probably isn't a catastrophic outcome for him. That said, I do think he makes it to the next level and thrives, and I think if it doesn't work out with whichever team he plays for next, he's good enough to get picked up by another good team elsewhere in Europe.

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think what people mean is having JD become a legend alongside all of those guys who had 450 caps and 150 goals for Lille in like 1950 or whatever. I think, or would at least hope that David has already earned eternal admiration from LOSC fans though- not only is he a fantastic player who helped bring a title, and whatever happens during this year's Europa Conference, but he stayed with Lille for at least the first bit of his prime- whether that's the club's fault or not, he had a little bit more time for the fans to appreciate him than most other big names that passed through Lille.

Worst case scenario, David ends up like Pepe, but even he was given 3 years at Arsenal before they gave up on him. If David gets the same, we're looking at him being at a top club until he's 28, and by that age, if he goes back to France, it's probably fine, and by 2028, MLS quality should improve to the point where coming home probably isn't a catastrophic outcome for him. That said, I do think he makes it to the next level and thrives, and I think if it doesn't work out with whichever team he plays for next, he's good enough to get picked up by another good team elsewhere in Europe.

I have friends and family in France, mostly Rennes, PSG and Lyon fans, unfortunately, no Lille connections.  Jonathan David is one of the first things they mention when we talk.  All of France knows about him and respects him.  I'd be shocked if his reputation isn't already solidified in their hearts.

12 minutes ago, costarg said:

I have friends and family in France, mostly Rennes, PSG and Lyon fans, unfortunately, no Lille connections.  Jonathan David is one of the first things they mention when we talk.  All of France knows about him and respects him.  I'd be shocked if his reputation isn't already solidified in their hearts.

It's a shame though that he'll probably only decide his next club once the season is over, so he won't have a proper send off in front of the fans. We rag on Lille so much, but if they give him a standing O when he gets subbed out in his last game ever, you probably wouldn't have too many dry eyes in here.