Jonathan David

Vince193

33 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, if ever there is a giant red flag for JD, it is the idea of a whole transfer being built so that he can be the “backup”.  Now, that may just be the commenter’s interpretation but if there is any truth to it, it should raise some big alarms about their plans for him.  

I agree, he needs to go somewhere to be the starter.  

Trying to pretend I'm a neutral, I am not adverse to him being part of the development at Man U but it is fairly consistent since Hojlund found his feet that they have run a 433. Very pacey wide men with a traditional big #9 (even if he has other skills).  Fernandes tucked in behind. 

Other than as backup at AMC, it would need a different system to use him.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Can’t say this would exactly be ideal. I can’t say I have any strong opinions about any premier league team, but if there was one I disliked, it would probably be United, not to mention backing up a younger and more expensive player probably isn’t a good move for David. I don’t know if he would even want to be a backup, even if it meant going to a massive club. 

I don't think Højlund is clear past him, he only started to score recently after a massive goal drought. Goldbridge is very high on Rasmus, which is fair because he has all the tools to be a top striker, but in reality if David did go to United it would simply be as competition for the striker position rather than a clearly defined backup role I think. And any top club he's going to will have competition from another top striker, so it is what is.

24 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

I would love to see David in La Liga. Atletico seems like a particularly interesting destination. Would David's pressing come in handy under Simeone?

I think Real Madrid are going to dominate this league for years to come, but with Atletico David could maybe nab a trophy like Copa del Rey or possibly Europa League if Atletico dip into that competition. He'd get regular Champions League football as well, I imagine, and I think he'd play significant minutes at that club. 

This excites me a lot more than Man U (dysfunctional) or Villa (probably won't win anything).

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I would love to see David in La Liga. Atletico seems like a particularly interesting destination. Would David's pressing come in handy under Simeone?

I think Real Madrid are going to dominate this league for years to come, but with Atletico David could maybe nab a trophy like Copa del Rey or possibly Europa League if Atletico dip into that competition. He'd get regular Champions League football as well, I imagine, and I think he'd play significant minutes at that club. 

This excites me a lot more than Man U (dysfunctional) or Villa (probably won't win anything).

To be fair, Man U have turned a bit of corner, are playing young players and will likely be in Europe again, unfortunately, and Villa are odds on to win the Conference League. 😉.

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

To be fair, Man U have turned a bit of corner, are playing young players and will likely be in Europe again, unfortunately, and Villa are odds on to win the Conference League. 😉.

Both crossed my mind when I wrote that actually! Things seem to be turning around for Man U for sure, that's why I upgraded my David-to-United take from "hell no" to "not my preference" :)

I still think Villa would be a cool move. They could definitely win Conference league. Seems like they'll hold onto the 4th  UCL spot as well. If not, I can't see them falling out of the Europa League places. And if they win Conference league they are guaranteed a Europa League place anyway, so definitely a team on the up. 

Better spot than Atletico though? I am not convinced. Honestly though, I would take David at any of these clubs, with the stipulation (for United) that he not be signed as a back up.  

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Both crossed my mind when I wrote that actually! Things seem to be turning around for Man U for sure, that's why I upgraded my David-to-United take from "hell no" to "not my preference" :)

I still think Villa would be a cool move. They could definitely win Conference league. Seems like they'll hold onto the 4th  UCL spot as well. If not, I can't see them falling out of the Europa League places. And if they win Conference league they are guaranteed a Europa League place anyway, so definitely a team on the up. 

Better spot than Atletico though? I am not convinced. Honestly though, I would take David at any of these clubs, with the stipulation (for United) that he not be signed as a back up.  

Of two minds, and they are both selfish.  Easier to follow in England for me but then I again I would have to cheer against him at least a couple times a year.  

For him, its about playing and being in Europe.  Not convinced Man U is the system for him, Villa will use 2 strikers sometimes and he would be #2 at the very least. All Atletico strikers were older when I just watched them and have played with 2 at times as well.  Could be a really good move. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think they are fairly happy with Reinildo, also from Lille, and must think the level and source are right. What do people think of that Dutch defender who went to Newcastle (Botman)? If you look, a lot of those guys at Lille move on and handle the harder leagues fairly well, like Osimhen. 

Atlético has had the combination of Morata, who is fading (perhaps age), and Griezmann, and you'd think it'd work, a more classic target striker and then a guy who is very come and go but has talent and breaks games open coming in from behind. Depay as a sub. Correa is a player who is hugely underrated, I always wondered why he was a sub; then Ñiguez, hard damn name to pronounce, who is way off form. So overall they've been a bit off this year, and mostly because Morata is off. 

I think he must be seeing that in EPL his salary expectations could be met more easily.

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think they are fairly happy with Reinildo, also from Lille, and must think the level and source are right. What do people think of that Dutch defender who went to Newcastle (Botman)? If you look, a lot of those guys at Lille move on and handle the harder leagues fairly well, like Osimhen. 

Atlético has had the combination of Morata, who is fading (perhaps age), and Griezmann, and you'd think it'd work, a more classic target striker and then a guy who is very come and go but has talent and breaks games open coming in from behind. Depay as a sub. Correa is a player who is hugely underrated, I always wondered why he was a sub; then Ñiguez, hard damn name to pronounce, who is way off form. So overall they've been a bit off this year, and mostly because Morata is off. 

I think he must be seeing that in EPL his salary expectations could be met more easily.

Botman is fantastic for newcastle. he's crucial to their team but has consistently struggled with injuries. Theres some concerns over how he would fare with a higher line in then national team. However, he was arguably going to be included as coverage for ake at LCB before his injuries. Now it looks like van de ven has surpassed him.

However, the fact he has been considered for the dutch squad that has van dijk, ake, de ligt, timber, geertruida, blind, de vrij, van de ven, schuurs, st juste, doehki, hato, teze, struijk, van den berg, sandler, bogarde (granted a bunch on the lists are younger prospect types) speaks to how highly hes been regarded. 

Essentially he was pushing ake, van dijk, van de ven and blind (who for better or worse is extremely well regarded). That is some elite company to be in.

Simeone plays a very defensive counter-attacking style of football. Not sure I'd be ecstatic with that move. I'd much rather see him move to a club that plays a dynamic, attacking, possession-based style where his elite one-touch passing and movement can flourish. Don't think Atletico would be an ideal fit.

12 minutes ago, frmr said:

Simeone plays a very defensive counter-attacking style of football. Not sure I'd be ecstatic with that move. I'd much rather see him move to a club that plays a dynamic, attacking, possession-based style where his elite one-touch passing and movement can flourish. Don't think Atletico would be an ideal fit.

I have said many times that I am no tactical guru but that sort of system seems pretty well suited to JD.  He has pace for counterattacking and has always been able to press well to lead the defensive effort right from the front.  He has done that for both club and country.  I get that Simeone’s system might not lead to the kind of swashbuckling attack that we might like to see our best strikers involved in, but it does seem like a potentially good fit for a player like David.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

25 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have said many times that I am no tactical guru but that sort of system seems pretty well suited to JD.  He has pace for counterattacking and has always been able to press well to lead the defensive effort right from the front.  He has done that for both club and country.  I get that Simeone’s system might not lead to the kind of swashbuckling attack that we might like to see our best strikers involved in, but it does seem like a potentially good fit for a player like David.  

Yeah David is good on the counter for sure, but I see that more because he's such a versatile attacker, rather than that's his strongest attribute. I just think back to periods of his time with Lille where he wasn't seeing much of the ball and Lille was relying on individual moments rather than a unified fluid attack. I haven't watched enough of Atletico to really know what their attack looks like, but I do know Simeone plays terrorist ball, and as I'm sure as many of us make it a weekly ritual to watch David, I want that to be as entertaining as possible. Griezmann averages about a goal every three games, so would David do any better than that? I have my doubts.

edit: on Griezmann, I was only looking at his current stint at Atletico. His first stint he averaged a goal every two games, so a brighter outlook.

Edited by frmr

Endrick who turns 18 in July and one of Brazil's phenoms is only 5' 8". He scored vs England and has been signed by RM for nxt season. There's been a lot of talk about David's lack of height and Endrick could add an inch or two, but clearly RM who also have Rodrygo, are not concerned.

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Endrick who turns 18 in July and one of Brazil's phenoms is only 5' 8". He scored vs England and has been signed by RM for nxt season. There's been a lot of talk about David's lack of height and Endrick could add an inch or two, but clearly RM who also have Rodrygo, are not concerned.

They brought in Joselu on loan, so they have that profile of a tall target. And he's proficient, apart from him being cheap to buy off Espanyol I think.

I'm a big defender of shorter players but a combo is really ideal, Messi- Suarez.