Jonathan David

Vince193

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They draw Villa.

Edit: in the Europa Conference League quarters.

Dang.

Shieet.

Probably the end of the road for David and Lille.

But massive game and great chance to audition himself for Villa, who have been linked with him in the not so distant past, I believe. He scores a goal or two in this tie and it will surely boost his reputation.

Just looking at the rest of the draw.....yes Lille drew the toughest team in Villa....but could we argue that Villa also got the toughest draw?

Some of the remaining teams include Club Brugge, Fiorentina, and Fenerbahce. I suppose all these teams are more or less the same level, but.... Lille have been in and around the top 4 in France all season.

Meanwhile, Fiorentina are 8th in Serie A and I don't recall them being much higher at any point. Fenerbahce have been tussling with Galatasaray at the top of the Turkish Super Lig all season, but it's the Turkish Super Lig. Club Brugge have managed to climb up to 3rd domestically, ahead of Antwerp on goal difference, but they are like 18 points away from 1st, and Beligum is not France.

Again, maybe that is splitting hairs, but there you go. 

Edited by Obinna

15 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

image.png.ed11e0c0d35f5039f23935bde5c18082.png

If this is supposed to be the list of all-time scorers for Lille, I don't believe it's correct. TransferMarket is not a good source for historical data as their database is far from complete. According to wiki, Strappe had a total of 135 goals for Lille. He's second on their top scorers list behind Jean Baratte with 218. I can't find any other sources to verify those numbers.

David should crack the top five, but I don't want to see him stay there long enough to move any further up the list.

Agree that it is the toughest draw, mostly because Aston Villa has dominated in the competition. They have not shown fissures. They are also holding up well in EPL.

Then there is Emery, who has won Europa League 4 times with two different teams, he is a very capable knockout-round manager.

As said, Lille having the home tie 2nd evens things out a bit, if they can hold at Villa Park they'll be a strong bet at home, their stadium is even larger and fans are quite good.

8 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

If this is supposed to be the list of all-time scorers for Lille, I don't believe it's correct. TransferMarket is not a good source for historical data as their database is far from complete. According to wiki, Strappe had a total of 135 goals for Lille. He's second on their top scorers list behind Jean Baratte with 218. I can't find any other sources to verify those numbers.

David should crack the top five, but I don't want to see him stay there long enough to move any further up the list.

Yeah I think he's 6th in scoring for Lille all time but is only a few goals from going 4th. People are always misreporting Lille's top scorers for some reason, even some big name journalists.

On the draw, it is the biggest match of the quarters by far. Both of these teams will be wanting to win the tournament so a bit unfortunate that they don't get to meet in the final. Either way, it will be one of David's biggest ties he'll have played in. Lille's first European quarter final, and a final showcase to the Premier League in what is FINALLY going to be the eve of David's big move. So he needs to perform well both for his legacy at Lille and to cement his next move. Very excited for this one, and I hope he does us all proud.

Also another little sub-narrative is David vs Emi Martinez, two legs in UECL and then again in Copa America (knock on wood). Would be nice to go into the match against Argentina with David having recently put a few past him.

Edited by frmr

2 hours ago, frmr said:

On the draw, it is the biggest match of the quarters by far. Both of these teams will be wanting to win the tournament so a bit unfortunate that they don't get to meet in the final. Either way, it will be one of David's biggest ties he'll have played in. Lille's first European quarter final, and a final showcase to the Premier League in what is FINALLY going to be the eve of David's big move. So he needs to perform well both for his legacy at Lille and to cement his next move. Very excited for this one, and I hope he does us all proud.

Also another little sub-narrative is David vs Emi Martinez, two legs in UECL and then again in Copa America (knock on wood). Would be nice to go into the match against Argentina with David having recently put a few past him.

It will be fun to watch,  though as you say it would be nice a couple rounds later. 

The central midfield should be tight, Angel, Andre and Bentaleb vs Douglas Luis, McGinn and Tielemanns

I worry about the Lille full backs handling Bailey/DiabyRamsey/Bueindia (not sure when he's back) and Yoro has the pace to run with Watkins but can probably be bullied, and still has a ricket in him. 

David will have to be smart, the CBs are not overly slow (especially Konsa and Torres) and sometimes there are three of them.  I would look to Zhegrova to have some joy. 

Maybe a few more thoughts after Sunday. 

Edit: my mistake 

Lille can't hold and a 1-1 draw puts them back in 4th, which is Europa League  Champions League qualifying.

Two points behind Monaco having played 1 more game; also means they remain 4 behind Brest in 2nd. On equal points with 5th but with a decent goal difference advantage.  1 point ahead of 6th.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Aside from his goal, David's one-touch combination play throughout the game really stood out.  Doesn't matter if it's around the box or on the buildup in midfield, David just sees the field and recognizes options so well.  That's why I think he'll actually do better at a higher level because he'll have more players around him who are on his wavelength in terms of the speed of the game.