James Pantemis

Grizzly

Deserves his own thread since he is getting senior team calls. He was born in 97 and is from Montreal. It is unfortunate the Impact stopped their USL team as he would be getting a lot more playing experience and the loans to Ottawa have not adequately replaced it. He is going to train with Bologna this month though so that should be a good experience for him.

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2017/09/06/james-pantemis-train-bologna-fc-1909-september

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Played well tonight and got the win. Made some nice saves, seemed calm on the ball, and had good distribution.

Crazy to have 4 Canadians get starts in MLS. We went seasone without even 1 getting any minutes.

Side note. Caldwell was an ass about the goal that went in. Saying doesn't know what Pantemis was doing diving to his left and going past the ball. What is a goalie supposed to do about a ball the gets deflected 10 yards on front of him.

I thought the same. It was harsh. Likely a slight error but tough break.

To be fair you can't be a goalkeeper in the MLS this season without making an absolute arse of yourself so he was just trying to fit in.

Really recovered well though and made some excellent saves throughout the match. Certainly didnt look worse than diop.

Some good baseline depth growing in GK for the national teams.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Played well tonight and got the win. Made some nice saves, seemed calm on the ball, and had good distribution.

Crazy to have 4 Canadians get starts in MLS. We went seasone without even 1 getting any minutes.

Side note. Caldwell was an ass about the goal that went in. Saying doesn't know what Pantemis was doing diving to his left and going past the ball. What is a goalie supposed to do about a ball the gets deflected 10 yards on front of him.

So what else is new? I really wish anyone else was in there, Dunfield, Wheeler even.

13 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I think the mistake was a massive one. I understand there was a deflection, but it should still be an easy save. I think he was fine aside from that.

Yes.   if the defender would have been closer to the goal, then you could fairly argue that the GK would have had no time to react.  But the defenders was right up a meter or two from the ball striker.

He made some good stops afterwards.  So he did redeem himself

Edited by Free kick

I should also say that that kind of mental error, in my view, is "better" than a technical or athletic error. I am prepared to write it off. Of course if he does it again then questions start getting asked, but as Free kick mentioned he played well after, so I think it is fair to assume it was the type of error every goalkeeper makes once in a blue moon and move on.

On 10/17/2020 at 11:05 PM, Stryker911 said:

It seems Caldwell is a bit harsh to the Canadian teams regularly. Maybe due to trying not to be a homer. If true, it is actually a positive to see him considering Montreal to be home and TSN not being the Toronto Sports Network.

• 3 months later...

You must have watched those highlights closer than I did, I thought Pantemis and StClair got into both scrimmages.  Maybe Herdman watched StCLair in MLS playoffs and needed to see more of Pantemis.   

But I was meaning #2 on the impact.  Diop doesnt impress me much and they'll be chances for a #2, so I am glad to see the team give Pantemis a vote of confidence with the contract.  They could have easily signed some journeyman back up instead.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

You must have watched those highlights closer than I did, I thought Pantemis and StClair got into both scrimmages.  Maybe Herdman watched StCLair in MLS playoffs and needed to see more of Pantemis.   

But I was meaning #2 on the impact.  Diop doesnt impress me much and they'll be chances for a #2, so I am glad to see the team give Pantemis a vote of confidence with the contract.  They could have easily signed some journeyman back up instead.  

Pantemis could be the starter as of camp, he’s close.

• 3 months later...

This is the start of the Pantemis era!!!   Diop, Breza etc, they better start looking for new clubs.  Just dont hurt yourself jumping on and off bandwagons, WHOOOOOOOO!!!!

24 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Cleans the sheet, maybe earns more time.

• 1 month later...