James Pantemis

Grizzly

I mean, it was saveable but it also went around the wall and just tucked inside the near post pretty sweetly.  The wall may have been a bit too far left but the reality is that you set up the wall to take away that side of the net and then you focus on the other side, recognizing you may need to grab it out of the air  if it gets over the wall.  When it got around the wall and was low, I think it made it harder for Pantemis.

Or I am just making excuses.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I mean, it was saveable but it also went around the wall and just tucked inside the near post pretty sweetly.  The wall may have been a bit too far left but the reality is that you set up the wall to take away that side of the net and then you focus on the other side, recognizing you may need to grab it out of the air  if it gets over the wall.  When it got around the wall and was low, I think it made it harder for Pantemis.

Or I am just making excuses.  

I’ll need to see it again but at first viewing I thought he got there and it went under his arm. 

In fairness to him, he stood on his head before that and kept Montreal in a game they really should have lost, given that they only got the lead thanks to a combination of his saves and poor keeping by Westberg. 

It’s the kind of play he can gain experience from the mistake of where he set up the wall. 

Edited by Gian-Luca

27 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

In fairness to him, he stood on his head before that and kept Montreal in a game they really should have lost, given that they only got the lead thanks to a combination of his saves and poor keeping by Westberg. 

It’s the kind of play he can gain experience from the mistake of where he set up the wall. 

He made an excellent reflex hand save off that header and came off his line well to make himself big and stop those shots.  Unfortuntely, he just misread the dip because he was there in time.  Disappointing for him and his team.

Westberg must have been doing a Halloween tribute because, like Dracula, he hates crosses.

Edited by BearcatSA

55 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Jozy scored, James did not make the a save he could have, simply as that. He cost Montreal two important points. 

What about the sitter from Johnson.  Or not running to waste time at the flag with 2 remaining.  Equal gaffes which collectively led to the draw 

10 hours ago, farrelld said:

That's 3 free kicks in the Montreal's last 3 games that lead directly to a goal that you could argue Pantemis should have done better on. It's 4 dropped points, Breza should get the chance mid week against Forge now.  

As well as the next MLS game too.  There was no reason to give the starts back to Pantemis anyway, Breza was playing great, more complete keeper than Pantemis.  Pantemis makes great reflex saves, but the rest of his game is lacking.  Breza is the complete package.  Pretty sure it was an attempt to show and sell Pantemis. 

48 minutes ago, costarg said:

As well as the next MLS game too.  There was no reason to give the starts back to Pantemis anyway, Breza was playing great, more complete keeper than Pantemis.  Pantemis makes great reflex saves, but the rest of his game is lacking.  Breza is the complete package.  Pretty sure it was an attempt to show and sell Pantemis. 

CFM owns Pantemis's contract. Breza is loaned to CFM. I agree with you Breza is a better keeper.

22 hours ago, Ruud said:

What about the sitter from Johnson.  Or not running to waste time at the flag with 2 remaining.  Equal gaffes which collectively led to the draw 

This exactly! The keeper is the last line and they get blamed for many goals, some deserved and some not and he was at fault for not making the save, I think he was expecting Poz to hit it at another angle but my goodness what a miss at the other end to put the game to bed, not running into the corner to kill more time and the foul I don't think was necessary to begin with, lots of blame to around for a goal which may keep them out of the play offs! 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Am I the only one remembering this differently? From what I saw, Breza seemed really similar to Pantemis - faults and all.

Sorry but it is the keeper's responsibility to set the wall. If he is not happy, he gives them hell. If they don't move he shouts until they do. It is all on him to leave that post exposed, it was fully his fault. 

Geez guys, I taught this to my 11-year olds when I coached--if you are not sure have them take a step extra and over-cover one post so you can focus on the rest of the goal. 

12 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Am I the only one remembering this differently? From what I saw, Breza seemed really similar to Pantemis - faults and all.

I totally agree. I haven’t been particularly impressed with either of them tbh. They were both bottom tier MLS keeper this year IMO.

I will say I’m an outlier on this forum though and Breza seems to have a lot of fans here.

My two cents as a long-time card carrying member of the GK union. ;)   It was all down to the piss-poor setup of that wall.

It's Goalkeeping 101. The end man on that wall has to be at least another foot or two to the right. And it's the GK's responsibility to line him up relative to that far post.

Hell, I would've felt bad if I set up that wall, and gave up that goal in my local Sunday beer league.  You just can't have that happen. That's pretty much inexcusable at that level. 

26 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I totally agree. I haven’t been particularly impressed with either of them tbh. They were both bottom tier MLS keeper this year IMO.

I will say I’m an outlier on this forum though and Breza seems to have a lot of fans here.

I hope whichever keeper starts Wednesday he has some game changing errors in him just for this one match!😀

• 6 months later...

He has been on the bench alot this season as Breza has been the preferred started. However, last night he was dropped from even being on the bench! 😳

"Logan Ketterer was in the lineup for the first team since joining the club as the backup goalkeeper and after the game, Nancy confirmed James Pantemis had been sanctioned but wouldn’t elaborate or give any details saying he would be back at practice on Friday."

https://www.lastwordonsports.com/soccer/2022/05/19/cf-montreal-unbeaten-streak-snapped/amp/

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2022 at 7:03 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Nancy confirmed James Pantemis had been sanctioned but wouldn’t elaborate or give any details saying he would be back at practice on Friday."

So the question remains...

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Pantemis did get the start tonight 

1 hour ago, ADP10 said:

Caldwell said it was because Pantemis is able to play out of the back more

...how much has Breza starting over Pantemis been a question of form vs a question of Pantemis having disciplinary issues? 🤔