General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

4 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

You've got Henry (has to regain form), Sadiki (few posted on him), M.James(Don't know how he's been doing),  Didic (SKC playing???), and few more others. It's obviously at this moment CMNT weakest position and I feel as well the RB position. You've got Dunn as well from TFC. Obviously will see what Herdman can do for next year and for the World Cup Quest for 2022.

You forgot Derek Cornelius and Milovan Kapor

Problem is, as other posters have mentioned I don't think he can *ever* be eligible for us ... it's not just that he isn't eligible at the moment. I don't remember all of the details about his case, but I remember a lot of back and forth over whether he could ever become eligible in the future ... the consensus being that it wouldn't happen.  I'd be happy to be wrong!

1 hour ago, Addona said:

Problem is, as other posters have mentioned I don't think he can *ever* be eligible for us ... it's not just that he isn't eligible at the moment. I don't remember all of the details about his case, but I remember a lot of back and forth over whether he could ever become eligible in the future ... the consensus being that it wouldn't happen.  I'd be happy to be wrong!

I thought Opare and the CSA had applied to FIFA for an exemption but I don’t remember ever hearing the result of that.

• 2 weeks later...

It sucks to not see the team play as many games as they can. But if it saves hundreds of thousands of dollars in order to put more effort into the organization of all men's teams and player development, then I think it's a win. I'd rather we  play in the Toulon tournament vs a senior team friendly.

Hmm really makes you think.. if LoN are such a burden on Canada how could concacaf ever think it was a good idea for minnows?  Wasn’t that the whole point? 

If it’s burdening us to that point it must be putting some of these countries on the brink of depression! 

Also, I like Herdman he’s growing on me but some of the stuff he talks is absolute shite.  Like preparing by not playing matches or having camps, realistically how much can that help.. I guess it sounds like they’re saving up for next year.  Ah well. 

Thanks to Rudi for asking at least, even if I don’t like it.  I’d rather cancel Toulon and play in a senior friendly tournament.

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, Ngravs said:

These are qualifiers for the nations league so if/when we qualify for the A side we won’t be seeing many minnows if any at all. 

I think Keegan's point was that the smaller nations were supposed to be the ones that benefit the most from the Nations League. But if it's a financial burden for us to play these games, wouldn't it also be a financial burden for the minnows as well?

One reason why that might not end up being the case once we get to the Nations League proper is that the bottom couple of tiers will likely be filled exclusively with Caribbean nations, so the travel won't be extensive. Plus, for the real minnows they probably don't have to fly players home from pro clubs abroad. So their expenses would presumably be a lot less than ours. But it will be interesting to see how this all works out, and if it does put too much stress on some teams or if it really helps CONCACAF grow.

Well i guess you cant win for losing. We got the strong A squad, now we find out the expense of bringing in all the european players is breaking the bank and we cant afford orange slices at half time.  Hmmmmm, maybe this is why past coaches didnt raise too much of a fuss if a couple of Hoilett, Hutch type guys decides to stay in europe for games against minnows and they pick up a player who might already be in florida, or at least on this side of the pond. I guess Herdman wants a full camp with all the guys there to get integrated into his system...

On 8/30/2018 at 7:52 PM, mpg_29 said:

Interesting read that some may not like:

Herdman: Canada not interested in playing more games, yet

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/canada-soccer-john-herdman-canmnt-play-more-games-concacaf-nations-league/1js0e4nh8r5od159rcuzu6a03o

Well that sucks big time....However it is what it is. I do want more games, but if it's not feasible at this moment so be it I guess. Can't wait to see them play on the 9th.

Saw team selection for CMNT.

Team

Edited by Scorpion26

27 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but I would like to see Will Johnson back into the National Team

This season he’s played 22 Games with Orlando City in the MLS 

Yeah, but he's 31 years old and in 2022 he'll be 35 and there a lot of younger MF's that will pass him in the next 4 years...kinda like Vitoria and Jakovic at CB, right?

/ballsbusted

47 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Yeah, but he's 31 years old and in 2022 he'll be 35 and there a lot of younger MF's that will pass him in the next 4 years...kinda like Vitoria and Jakovic at CB, right?

/ballsbusted

Think of it this way, If Hutchinson and Johnson don’t come back to the CMNT it’s okay because we have Arfield, Piette, Osorio and other MF’s 

But when it comes to our defenders a makeshift is needed 

7 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Think of it this way, If Hutchinson and Johnson don’t come back to the CMNT it’s okay because we have Arfield, Piette, Osorio and other MF’s 

But when it comes to our defenders a makeshift is needed 

Aren't you refuting both of your points? You just said we have enough MF depth after saying you want to see Johnson back. In the other thread you said Vitoria and Jakovic are too old, but here you are saying the backline is more makeshift. 

26 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Aren't you refuting both of your points? You just said we have enough MF depth after saying you want to see Johnson back. In the other thread you said Vitoria and Jakovic are too old, but here you are saying the backline is more makeshift. 

in our midfielders we more or less know what we have, LB, CB & RB remains to be seen camp to camp (selection to selection) 

And if Johnson does come back it’s on a short-term basis since Piette is ready 

Should Hutchinson be healthy and in form, ge should be with the squad always until he has no more to give

Edited by Thomas

2 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

in our midfielders we more or less know what we have, LB, CB & RB remains to be seen camp to camp (selection to selection) 

And if Johnson does come back it’s on a short-term basis since Piette is ready 

Should Hutchinson be healthy and in form, ge should be with the squad always until he has no more to give

Check out some of the lineups guys have been suggesting...some of them dont even have Piette in a 4 man midfield.  I like Johnson but from now on if we have a good turnout he probably will be staying at home.  Since we rarely get everyone out, he will likely still get some games but he is far from a guy who automatically gets the call anymore, and not because of any personal problems.  Between new guys committing (arfield/Hoilet/Wotherspoon, and MAK, Osorio, Tiebert all kicking their game up a notch) there isnt much room for him anymore.

22 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Check out some of the lineups guys have been suggesting...some of them dont even have Piette in a 4 man midfield.  I like Johnson but from now on if we have a good turnout he probably will be staying at home.  Since we rarely get everyone out, he will likely still get some games but he is far from a guy who automatically gets the call anymore, and not because of any personal problems.  Between new guys committing (arfield/Hoilet/Wotherspoon, and MAK, Osorio, Tiebert all kicking their game up a notch) there isnt much room for him anymore.

If Stephen Eustáquio commits Piette would be an after thought. 

Edited by SpecialK

53 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

If Stephen Eustáquio commits Piette will be after thought. 

Piette has been a standout, top level MLS player for the Impact since he signed for them. Eustaquio would be a good addition but he is not going to be gifted a spot. He is playing for a mid table Portugese team not Chelsea or Barca.