Stephen Eustaquio

On 11/4/2017 at 12:55 PM, SpecialK said:

I can't believe the CSA broke their promise of playing in every FIFA window. 

He is basically saying it is a good thing to play on every date not promising to do so. There is a huge difference between that. I think everyone here would agree we should be playing every FIFA date but at the same time the difficulties in arranging and financing matches are a lot greater than many people writing their opinion here recognize.

23 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

He is basically saying it is a good thing to play on every date not promising to do so. There is a huge difference between that. I think everyone here would agree we should be playing every FIFA date but at the same time the difficulties in arranging and financing matches are a lot greater than many people writing their opinion here recognize.

I agree with you there are challenges with arranging matches and money. But at the same time it take leadership and a true  commitment to make our national team not a joke. Also as fans how long are we gonna keep on saying well the CSA as no money so we can't play games and that's ok everything is fine. Someone said before we have huge sponsor well...  Jerry Maguire said it of the best show me the money ! Canada needed these games! Our players needs these games. The fans neednd want the games. 

We finally have great momentum after the gold cup and TFC best team in MLS, MLS playoffs people are  excited about soccer . Now boom  El Salvador game was just awful! , lost of Cristante and fear of losing Ferreira and three good young players now playing for other countries. We needed games this window to keep it going good, but a huge failure. 

CSA can't be stagnant. 

Edited by SpecialK

We don't have huge sponsorships. Read the CSA Finance thread properly. We have cash reserves, but the annual budget was 18M not counting WWC funding as of 2015. The CSA has prioritized the youth teams, which is fine, but it should not be at the expense of the MNT. Most 3rd world nations in the Americas are still capable of securing friendlies every window so we should be doing the same.

19 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Most 3rd world nations in the Americas are still capable of securing friendlies every window so we should be doing the same.

Yeah, most of them. Just not Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Curacao, El Salvador, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Nicaragua, Suriname, Guatemala, Antigua and Barbuda... I'm not going to bother checking the 19 lowest ranked nations in CONCACAF. All of the teams I listed failed to play in either September or October, or don't have anything listed on their Wikipedia page for November, so apologies for any last minute friendlies for November that didn't get updated there.

The countries from CONCACAF that have played every window in 2017 (and have something listed for November) that I checked were Mexico, Costa Rica, USA, Panama, and Honduras.

Obviously I'd rather us play than not, I just thought I'd clear up the accuracy of that little throw away comment.

45 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah, most of them. Just not Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Curacao, El Salvador, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Nicaragua, Suriname, Guatemala, Antigua and Barbuda... I'm not going to bother checking the 19 lowest ranked nations in CONCACAF. All of the teams I listed failed to play in either September or October, or don't have anything listed on their Wikipedia page for November, so apologies for any last minute friendlies for November that didn't get updated there.

The countries from CONCACAF that have played every window in 2017 (and have something listed for November) that I checked were Mexico, Costa Rica, USA, Panama, and Honduras.

Obviously I'd rather us play than not, I just thought I'd clear up the accuracy of that little throw away comment.

Thank you for pointing this out. There's so many here who see us closer to latter group than the former group which isn't a reflection of reality. I love this team and will follow them all over the world but we have to rational. We don't draw even close to decent TV numbers, we don't have the on field performances and we don't draw particularly well at home. Although the last point is a bit of a mixed bag recently with some of the best attended games in recent memory with the absolute worst in recent memory.

20 hours ago, Kent said:

Is it just a coincidence that all these countries where in the hex? I think not.

4 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Is it just a coincidence that all these countries where in the hex? I think not.

Of course it's not a coincidence. By virtue of being in the hex they all had games in September and October, and Honduras has the playoff with Australia in November. So the hex teams only needed to fill the November window. But of course, I imagine if I looked at other years too they would be the most likely teams to play every window, and of course they are a more desirable match up for teams that are preparing for the World Cup.

Played 90 and picked up a yellow in a 1-1 draw versus Romania U21 in UEFA U21 qualifying. Still remains to be seen if Portgual will make the main tournament as they have played less games than the other teams.

Qualifying games for youth tournaments don't provisionally cap tie do they? Would this mean he has to use his one time switch to come back? 

On 11/7/2017 at 2:55 PM, Kent said:

Of course it's not a coincidence. By virtue of being in the hex they all had games in September and October, and Honduras has the playoff with Australia in November. So the hex teams only needed to fill the November window. But of course, I imagine if I looked at other years too they would be the most likely teams to play every window, and of course they are a more desirable match up for teams that are preparing for the World Cup.

We should be playing every window, period.  Look around the world at every country comparable to Canada and they play.. we don't and we suffer constantly for it.  We have one of the highest qualities of life in the world but somehow apologists want to act like playing a few extra friendlies a year is a massive unrealistic burden.  And worst, we compare ourselves to 3rd world countries.. like "oh, well El Salvador didn't play every window" ... yea NO KIDDING, we aren't El Salvador.  Imagine the USA "Oh, well Jamaica didn't make the World Cup either".  We play in one of the poorest regions on earth.. stop comparing ourselves to rivals outside of the football lines.  We need to hold ourselves to higher organisational standards akin to the USA.  Play games, ALWAYS.  I don't want to hear about how we don't have the money etc. it's bullshit and if we don't it's due to mismanagement which isn't an excuse.  Squeeze money out of the MLS clubs if you have to.. there is a TON of money flying around this country yearly for football it's insane.  

Edited by Keegan

26 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I guess this is a lesson learned.. we all moaned about a central midfielder thinking Cristante was the answer and meanwhile we lost a guy who was actually interested in us right in front of our eyes.  

This  again, I believe,  is down to a lack of professional scouting by CSA. Why did Stephen never play for a Canada youth team? Larin played for the Senior team before playing for the U20s which coincided with him being  selected 1st overall in the MLS draft! Akindele is another example. Did Osorio ever play for a youth team? Did Millar play for a youth team (other than the U20s) before his move to Liverpool's  academy?  Has the CSA been relying too much on the academies of the 3 Cdn MLS team's? Certainly seems that way. We simply cannot afford to have talent like this slip through.

38 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

This  again, I believe,  is down to a lack of professional scouting by CSA. Why did Stephen never play for a Canada youth team? Larin played for the Senior team before playing for the U20s which coincided with him being  selected 1st overall in the MLS draft! Akindele is another example. Did Osorio ever play for a youth team? Did Millar play for a youth team (other than the U20s) before his move to Liverpool's  academy?  Has the CSA been relying too much on the academies of the 3 Cdn MLS team's? Certainly seems that way. We simply cannot afford to have talent like this slip through.

I agree. How can half of a youth team come from one MLS academy?

Hindsight is 20/20.  Who is the guy we are going to be moaning about 6 months from now?  Kapor, Didic..Bokai??  If we bitched about Eustaquio this much instead of Crisante etc last spring then maybe he would still leaning towards canada.  

And your not being fair Kadenge.  Tesho was in a U-17 camp, Osorio was in the U-20 program, Eustaquio was back in Portugal for years.  Players will slip through the cracks and plenty of kids dont show their potential at 16-17.  But waiting until a kid is playing elsewhere for 4-5 years, then gets a call up for Portugal, then crying about the CSA is counter productive.  I dont think CSA has alot of paid scouts looking for kids.  And if they do, coming to this board might be their first stop, we can make noise about duals and kids that might be unknown.  And even of we did pursue, we are still going to lose kids, fact of life.