CPL General

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Canadian teams also felt less of a pinch than lots of American teams last year due to all of them being out before the Round of 16 of Leagues Cup.

If the USSF isn't able to stop this from happening, I hope CONCACAF revokes the 3 Leagues Cup berths in the Champions Cup.

At the very least they should lose the Open Cup spot

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Canadian teams also felt less of a pinch than lots of American teams last year due to all of them being out before the Round of 16 of Leagues Cup.

If the USSF isn't able to stop this from happening, I hope CONCACAF revokes the 3 Leagues Cup berths in the Champions Cup.

Come on. You think Montagliani or anyone else at CONCACAF cares about this? They'd be more likely to transfer the Open Cup spot to the Leagues Cup to make it 4 more guaranteed MLS/MX spots.

More US-MX games are the goal here, every sellout at a big southwestern stadium means more lavish hotel weekends for the executives

10 hours ago, narduch said:

At the very least they should lose the Open Cup spot

That doesn't address the problem. To me, the Leagues Cup spots enable MLS to care less about the US Open Cup. In the old days there were 4 Champions League spots for the USA, and one of them was for winning the US Open Cup. Now there is 1 spot for the US Open Cup, 5 spots for MLS (some could be Canadian teams) plus 3 Leagues Cup spots (some could be Canadian or Mexican teams, but MLS gets to host and if a Canadian team makes a deep run, I wouldn't be surprised if it's decided their American opponents get to host), which apparently means the MLS teams think they have enough spots that they don't really care about US Open Cup at all anymore (only some teams cared about it before, to be fair).

Taking away a spot from the US Open Cup just hurts USL. This is why I proposed taking spots away from Leagues Cup, because as I see it, it created the congestion problem, and it turbo charged the indifference towards the US Open Cup, and it would actually punish the leagues at fault, rather than the innocent victims of the USL. If MLS is still sending reserve clubs to the US Open Cup and don't have any Leagues Cup spots, that would mean there would be 5 spots for MLS, 1 that would de facto be for USL, and 3 extra spots for Central American clubs, who deserve it and are very under-represented as it stands currently.

6 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Come on. You think Montagliani or anyone else at CONCACAF cares about this? They'd be more likely to transfer the Open Cup spot to the Leagues Cup to make it 4 more guaranteed MLS/MX spots.

More US-MX games are the goal here, every sellout at a big southwestern stadium means more lavish hotel weekends for the executives

Do I think they care? No, not necessarily. I'm just stating what my dream scenario would be.

On 12/16/2023 at 6:23 AM, Kent said:

I think it's criminal that the leagues cup get any berths at all. 

saw this comment on reddit and I agree. CPL should have sister website in French or press releases in French to get in front of scouts in France, Belgium and Switzerland 

This is also why I'm annoyed the league and OneSoccer don't do more in French. Because honestly, I think the French system is a great place for CPL players with how less divisive the levels are when compared to the UK system with a lot more rigidity when considering quality between tiers.

On 12/16/2023 at 6:47 PM, SoccMan said:

It just opens up a spot for a USL team to advance, I can’t see an MLSPro team winning the US Open Cup. 

The NY Red Bulls and Real Salt Lake teams in USL won the USL playoffs final in relatively recent times pre-COVID while the LA Galaxy and Sporting Kansas City teams have been losing finalists so that wouldn't necessarily have been a safe assumption. Now the USSF nixed that plan it will be interesting to see if MLS clubs will still uniformly try to field reserve teams for these games or whether some of them will be keen to go for a Champions Cup place with their first team if they are unlikely to obtain it any other way.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

18 hours ago, yothat2 said:

saw this comment on reddit and I agree. CPL should have sister website in French or press releases in French to get in front of scouts in France, Belgium and Switzerland 

This is also why I'm annoyed the league and OneSoccer don't do more in French. Because honestly, I think the French system is a great place for CPL players with how less divisive the levels are when compared to the UK system with a lot more rigidity when considering quality between tiers.

You'd think they'd be on top of this given so much of the league's setup seems to be geared towards sponsors/agents (like forcing a "Vancouver" identity on a valley team when there's already a pro team widely known as "Vancouver")

5 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

You'd think they'd be on top of this given so much of the league's setup seems to be geared towards sponsors/agents (like forcing a "Vancouver" identity on a valley team when there's already a pro team widely known as "Vancouver")

Langley Township is also part of Metro Vancouver and while some more diehard fans may/maybe would like a valley name the Vancouver moniker gives the team more stature and better recognition for a casual fan. As someone who lives on the edge of the boundary between THE Valley and Metro Vancouver, and identifies more with the valley, I still think the Vancouver FC name is best for the team.

On 12/23/2023 at 3:27 PM, yothat2 said:

Seems like most of the list is staying for another year in the cpl

The only potential discussion for the XI for me is Woobens or Campbell, but with Woobens now moving on it's clear they chose the XI of players they can promote next season who are staying. The XI is the best eleven and I have no complaints with the selection, but as always there's a marketing side to this as there is with everything.

Edited by Mihairokov

22 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Even though I agree with many here that this is unarguable or very solid, it probably isn't for one key reason: it's weighed by the last 4-5 games of the year.

Or even the final, as if Cavalry had won, you wouldn't see Henry over Carducci and there wouldn't be 4 Forge to two Cavalry. 

I think the only argument would be Bevan for Campbell. Anyone else from the Cavs would be reaching.

Sellouf I would put in over Badinga.

Just now, Shway said:

I think the only argument would be Bevan for Campbell. Anyone else from the Cavs would be reaching.

Sellouf I would put in over Badinga.

If Cavalry beat Forge, say if Carducci stops both those long rather rutinary attempts: Forge has 4 players on the best of the year 11 and Cavalry only has two? Henry over Carducci?

It is weighed too heavily to the playoff results, imo.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If Cavalry beat Forge, say if Carducci stops both those long rather rutinary attempts: Forge has 4 players on the best of the year 11 and Cavalry only has two? Henry over Carducci?

It is weighed too heavily to the playoff results, imo.

outside of the playoffs, I don't think Carducci is better than Henry and there's stats that show (outside of cs)
However, I agree that it is heavily playoff influenced because Badinga wasn't better than Sellouf in the regular season. 

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

outside of the playoffs, I don't think Carducci is better than Henry and there's stats that show (outside of cs)
However, I agree that it is heavily playoff influenced because Badinga wasn't better than Sellouf in the regular season. 

It's almost impossible for it not to be, I understand it.

I don't think it's like NBA, where there are unarguable stats in the regular season, as long as your team is making the playoffs and more or less solid, you can win MVP. 

I don't pay close enough attention to too many teams to really be able to have an opinion, I watch some Pacific, some Vancouver FC, both limited by time difference, and then bigger matches with Forge and Cavalry, so I can't gauge a whole season to be honest.

I am probably reading too much into this, but a quote from CPL commissioner Noonan from this article: https://globalnews.ca/news/10191676/cpl-commissioner-soccer-league-teams/

“Having that connection in Mexico opens up a lot of doors for us,” he said.

I wonder if it's possible he is angling to get CPL teams into the Leagues Cup? I'm not sure if I even want that to be honest, since I hate the Leagues Cup. Potentially good for the league in that it would increase exposure, but it could also potentially make the league look like a joke if the results on the field are bad enough.

Anyways, I doubt he was alluding to that with his comment, but just some fun speculation on my part.

It's phrased in the sort of way that makes it possible for people to project what they want to happen onto it. The three Mexican brothers would have to have a lot of clout with Liga MX owners and the Mexican federation to reverse what happened on the format of the Leagues Cup. Doubt it goes any deeper than access to preseason training camps and sponsorship possibilities.