CPL General

7 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

For us CPL diehards here- TSN just announced a deal to show CEBL - Basketball games on TSN and online too.  

If only this network broadcast World Cup in 2022 and went full on Canada depth…..errrr never mind 

Nutmeged !

That’s soccer in Canada when it comes to mainstream media , go hard like crazy during the World Cup but then basically ignore the game in between the World Cup . Of course you would think a station that just received record breaking viewership for Canada’s games would try and do things to keep the momentum going by televising a Canadian domestic league where future players for our national team are most likely playing but no, instead they would rather go with televising the domestic basketball league rather than Canada’s domestic soccer league . 

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I would guess the CEBL is paying for access.

With falling subs & Bell cutting budgets/laying off staff in the past few years, TSN isn't paying up for a non-tier 1 sports property. 

They're showing Tuesday/Wednesday CEBL games in the summer on linear TSN. With limited weeknight MLS games to now show, it avoids them looking like zombie channels on these 2 summer nights. Otherwise, they have slim pickings in NBA Summer League for about 10 days, a couple of weeknight WNBA games via ESPN and a few nights for Women's World Cup.

TSN are capitalizing on the World Cup momentum. But it is now for WWC 2023. They got 40% of NWSL games on the cheap for 1 year as there was no takers for solely the international rights. 13 will be shown on linear TSN with all regular season games featuring Canadian national team players and half featuring Sinclair.

Edited by red card

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I wish it was CPL, but  at least its a CDN league B-Ball league and not aussie football, Indian cricket or british darts eh??  

At least with darts you can get a great Canadian champion commenting. 

I wonder if Brits complain about their darts commentator having a Canadian accent (they don't).

Isn't their a salary cap? With signing Manjrekar James wouldn't Forge be at the limit? He competed at a high level before. Am I missing something? It's not like they are a team of castaways.. confused...

Confused Thinking GIF

the other CPL teams need to do something!

7eyu4x.jpg

Edited by fil

14 hours ago, fil said:

Isn't their a salary cap? With signing Manjrekar James wouldn't Forge be at the limit? He competed at a high level before. Am I missing something? It's not like they are a team of castaways.. confused...

Manjrekar James' last club are from Odesa in Ukraine and he signed for them in the middle of a war with Russia that features regular missile attacks on major Ukrainian cities and their electricity supply. Is that a move made by a player with lots of favourable career options? He may not have been as expensive as you think. Beyond that it's yet another example of the Sigma connection paying dividends for Bobby Smyrniotis.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Manjrekar James' last club are from Odesa in Ukraine and he signed for them in the middle of a war with Russia that features regular missile attacks on major Ukrainian cities and their electricity supply. Is that a move made by a player with lots of favourable career options? He may not have been as expensive as you think. Beyond that it's yet another example of the Sigma connection paying dividends for Bobby Smyrniotis.

Forge can bend the rules and afford it :)

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I agree that he's obviously coming out of a complicated situation. 

But I think he was signed, or loaned, to Odessa, before the war broke out, in the winter break or after his Scandinavian season. He almost immediately had to leave, was in Alicante where I think his agent is based, training with Intercity which is a new club, went back to play Ukraine league but not in Ukraine (Poland I think), now has taken this option.

It looks to me like a reset situation, and as you say, he may accept a lower salary pending returning to Europe to restart his career.

https://canpl.ca/roster-rules/

• A maximum of seven (7) International Players. At all times, 50% of all CPL Club’s International
    Players must be U23 (born January 1 st , 2000 or later). If a CPL Club wishes to utilize the
    maximum seven (7) International Players, the 7 th signed International Player must be U21 (born
    January 1 st , 2002 or later)

I think I like this rule? 🤷‍♂️  Downside, as mentioned in that reddit post, there are several clubs that fall outside of this currently. I can only assume they will be given an exception this year? 

Likewise this provides some real quandaries for clubs that have players with high potential signed when under 23 but pass that milestone. What is more valuable to the clubs with foreign players keeping that potential and shifting an experienced foreign import or ditching what might be better potential?

Very basic and limited scope of benefits that foreign players bring to the league (In my rushed opinion) is:

• Potential sell on money for clubs when signing younger players
  • The experience older foreign imports have to pass to younger players
  • Brining in star quality for exposure and fanbase growth
  • Brining in different styles of play/background etc. in general.
  • Potential naturalization (a long shot for sure)

Maybe there needs to be a naturalization rule if players are signed when u23 and have been in the league a certain amount of time. Maybe not. The latter I guess benefits Canadians more. 

7 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I think there is a "grandfather" clause...

The "At all times" bit suggests otherwise and would the dates mentioned not simply reset at the start of every season? How does bringing in young foreign players help the development of Canadians? I'd rather see them stick to three with the emphasis being on older players that can pass on their experience.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://canpl.ca/roster-rules/

• A maximum of seven (7) International Players. At all times, 50% of all CPL Club’s International
    Players must be U23 (born January 1 st , 2000 or later). If a CPL Club wishes to utilize the
    maximum seven (7) International Players, the 7 th signed International Player must be U21 (born
    January 1 st , 2002 or later)

Ok, I've had a long day at work and this has gone over my head. Can someone explain it in "idiot" terms? And, what 3 teams are in breach of?

https://onesoccer.ca/a/cpl-announces-tweaks-to-roster-rules-ahead-of-2023-season

Some good info and explanations in the above article.

Of note:

- (Important note: all signings are designated as U23 across the length of their deals, so if they sign when they’re 22, they’ll remain U23 even if they turn 24 in the 3rd year of their contract). 

-Salary Cap, increasing the minimum outlay that a team must spend on player salaries from $650 000 to $750 000, and the maximum from $850 000 to $1 025 000. Otherwise, they also raised the minimum that a team must spend on their technical staff from $350 000 to $425 000, while keeping the maximum at $550 000. 

- Canadian transfer windows. Window #1 is currently open until April 24th, nine days after the season opener, having opened on January 31st of this year, while window #2 will begin on July 5th, and will last until August 2nd. 

Edited by toontownman