Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

3 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

Still, it would be good for Canadian soccer if the salaries and level of play in CanPL are high enough to make it attractive for players such as Cornelius to come home and play in Canada.

No guys like Cornelius should stay where they are in Europe where they have a lot more opportunities and will be getting better training. CPL shouldn't be taking guys on a good career path already and putting them on a less good career path, it should be for getting all the guys who aren't on good career paths and giving them better career paths.

53 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

No guys like Cornelius should stay where they are in Europe where they have a lot more opportunities and will be getting better training. CPL shouldn't be taking guys on a good career path already and putting them on a less good career path, it should be for getting all the guys who aren't on good career paths and giving them better career paths.

Can you give us a few examples of the type of Canadian player who, in your opinion, the CanPL should be aiming to sign?

44 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Can you give us a few examples of the type of Canadian player who, in your opinion, the CanPL should be aiming to sign?

The guys graduating from the MLS academies who are good players but not yet good enough to get a pro contract in MLS, MLS depth players that get cut, graduating university players that don't get MLS offers, the best players in places like Ontario League 1 or PLSQ, guys out of contract in Europe or North America who can't find a club, guys in mid to late 20s who have been playing lower division soccer in Europe who probably won't become national team players but can raise the level of the league which will be good for our younger players. 

Edited by Grizzly

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

The guys graduating from the MLS academies who are good players but not yet good enough to get a pro contract in MLS, MLS depth players that get cut, graduating university players that don't get MLS offers, the best players in places like Ontario League 1 or PLSQ, guys out of contract in Europe or North America who can't find a club, guys in mid to late 20s who have been playing lower division soccer in Europe who probably won't become national team players but can raise the level of the league which will be good for our younger players. 

I agree for the most part but for players who have reached the end of their development CPL should be aiming for established guys as well who could play at higher levels.  If the league is only made up of Aleman, Boakai, McKendry type players the league will never grow.  

Players like Johnson, Hainault, Jakovic, De Jong, James, Jackson, Ricketts, Akindele, Jackson-Hamel etc. They are all good enough for MLS to play regularly/semi regularly but not at a level where they are unattainable or still developing and a move would be contrary to the best interest of the national team ie Osorio, Davies, Piette. 

If the best domestic players in the league are just guys who were on the fringe of MLS this is never going to take off.  Why shouldn’t a team go after Hutchinson too?  I could see it. 

Edited by Keegan

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

I agree for the most part but for players who have reached the end of their development CPL should be aiming for established guys as well who could play at higher levels.  If the league is only made up of Aleman, Boakai, McKendry type players the league will never grow.  

Players like Johnson, Hainault, Jakovic, De Jong, James, Jackson, Ricketts, Akindele, Jackson-Hamel etc. They are all good enough for MLS to play regularly/semi regularly but not at a level where they are unattainable or still developing and a move would be contrary to the best interest of the national team ie Osorio, Davies, Piette. 

If the best domestic players in the league are just guys who were on the fringe of MLS this is never going to take off.  Why shouldn’t a team go after Hutchinson too?  I could see it. 

James? I hope you don't mean Manjrekar...

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

I do.  Who shouldn’t a CPL club aim for a domestic player of that caliber? In fact, he’s perfect for a club.  Currently playing danish second division

...on loan from one of the biggest clubs in Denmark, where he's under contract until 2022.

I agree that there's no reason to say CPL clubs couldn't sign certain domestic players, but James isn't coming to the CPL for a while unless it's on loan.

11 hours ago, Keegan said:

I do.  Who shouldn’t a CPL club aim for a domestic player of that caliber? In fact, he’s perfect for a club.  Currently playing danish second division after playing in Hungary.. let’s not act like this is a coup. 

Despite the fact he is on loan, do keep in mind he recently signed a 4 year contract with Midtjylland, so there is a good chance he gets a chance with them after the loan expires, and lets not pretend that going to CPL from the Danish 2nd Division, or even Hungary, would not be a massive drop in league competition quality for James. Also it is rather silly to assume, and look down on the league of either country, even if its tier two, when considering the fact that they have much deeper soccer culture, and a longer history with the sport, while we are just but beginning to start our own professional league.

• 1 month later...

I believe that having James and Cornelius back there today might have had a lot to do with their ability to quickly track back (considering the lack of defensiveness in our formation).

I thought that David Edgar was our number 1 CB before the big injury, and Doneil might be our most solid defender asides from his blips.

He impresses in more ways than just playing with the ball at his feet. He is an all around player. He is a smarter player than Henry/James/Vitoria, and he is quicker than straith/Jakovic. I haven't watched Edgar much, so I can't comment to much on him. 

Realistically, all our CBs are basically at the same level, but I just really think he is overall the most balanced defender of them all. He is kind of in that good middle ground.

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

He impresses in more ways than just playing with the ball at his feet. He is an all around player. He is a smarter player than Henry/James/Vitoria, and he is quicker than straith/Jakovic. I haven't watched Edgar much, so I can't comment to much on him. 

Realistically, all our CBs are basically at the same level, but I just really think he is overall the most balanced defender of them all. He is kind of in that good middle ground.

I am probably Cornelius' biggest booster here and I agree with what you posted above but probably his biggest weakness so far is his defending and we have not seen that tested against these minnow opponents. The reason that is his weakness is he is young and he has only been playing as a defender for a few years so is relatively new to the position. That being said he has all the tools one wants in a defender with size, pace, able to move the ball well, good passing and technical ability and is likely getting good coaching in Serbia. When we see him with the U21 national team with his age group he is one of the best players on the pitch even against strong opponents. The question will be is he defensively skilled enough to deal with the attackers on top men's teams we will face in the future. That may be one of the hard decisions Herdman will have to make, does he start the younger more skilled guy with more potential against tough opponents in important games against top teams or go with someone more experienced and less prone to error. Although I have some problems with some other selection and tactical decisions made by Herdman, I do like that he is playing Cornelius in these games and giving him a chance to show what he can do and hopefully he will continue to play well as the opponents get tougher.

Edited by Grizzly

I think Cornelius was solid against Dominica.

I've been following Derek's career in Serbia since the beginning and it's great to see him finally get a chance with the senior CMNT under coach Herdman.

I did a short interview with Derek last year (which can be seen here) and it looks like I will be doing another one soon.

Does anyone have any questions they would like to ask him? I can pass them on!

10 minutes ago, Djuradj said:

I've been following Derek's career in Serbia since the beginning and it's great to see him finally get a chance with the senior CMNT under coach Herdman.

I did a short interview with Derek last year (which can be seen here) and it looks like I will be doing another one soon.

If possible I would ask him about his current club situation. He hasn't been getting too many minutes this season so I'd like to know how he feels about being at Javor and what he feels like his near and more distant future hold for him club-wise. Kind of like a "where do you see yourself this time next year, 5 years". And please be sure to wish him the best of luck from all of us!

18 minutes ago, Djuradj said:

I had a chance to speak to Derek a couple of times when I was in Florida for the USVI match.  Such a nice grounded young man and very nice parents too. I can only wish him the best in his career.

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

He doesn't seem to be playing at all for Javor.

Crap, you're right. Checked the lineups and his last game was Aug. 25th. He has played 2 league games, a loss and a draw. His team has won 8 and drawn 3 (0 losses) with him out of the lineup. Yikes.