Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

42 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Dunn looked better than zator, didic so I would put him with the senior team. I dont think the Olympics will even happen. 

Zator and Didic have a much larger sample than Dunn and have both already been called up to the National team. The U23 team is were he belongs.

I'm high on Dunn but Jean-Baptiste had a lot to do with his performance. Dunn needs to prove in can do this consistently and 7 games isn't a big enough sample

Yep still early for Dunn. U23 is perfect.

For the U23. I don't know if Cornelius would be involved now, Miller probably would. Sturing might if he can hopefully land somewhere. Mekideche, Kennedy, Halbouni, and Häkkinen might be added too. Anyone know whats happened with Martin Amuz? Is he injured? Looks like he hasn't played any of August/Septembers games

Already interesting to look at the list below. There are names on there that I can't see being on there next time.

https://mcusercontent.com/78d3589fb61466b549ff752e5/files/92e7a32f-796e-42b9-af2b-f0d7166d4246/20_MOQ_Rosters_Provisional_Lists.pdf

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Already interesting to look at the list below. There are names on there that I can't see being on there next time.

Yeah, sadly as a PFC fan I have to agree with you. Campbell and Verhoeven at least have played (and not played) themselves out of contention, even despite Terran’s nice consolation goal. 

On the other hand, you can make a bunch of nice starting 11s from this list, even without the players that might be up with the senior team, like Cornelius and others. How nice is that?

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

https://mcusercontent.com/78d3589fb61466b549ff752e5/files/92e7a32f-796e-42b9-af2b-f0d7166d4246/20_MOQ_Rosters_Provisional_Lists.pdf

That's literally the blessing in disguise for some of the guys. Especially the ones who weren't on it (Farsi). It's just a nightmare from Mauro's aspect that he'll have to pick 20 guys based on nothing. No camps, no friendlies, no nothing. 

For me the U23 is more exciting to see who will be called up, because it seems like we have soooooo many options in comparison to previous years which had a bunch of college guys. 

But yea....Cornelius definitely shouldn't be there. As he's looking like our best CB currently.

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

Zator and Didic have a much larger sample than Dunn and have both already been called up to the National team. The U23 team is were he belongs.

I'm high on Dunn but Jean-Baptiste had a lot to do with his performance. Dunn needs to prove in can do this consistently and 7 games isn't a big enough sample

There was a healthy dosage of understanding in that partnership (a lot of the same I'd say) and that isn't always transferable.  That being said I'll be following the man's development, closer than I have for any Canadian defender for some time.  There's a head on those shoulders.   

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Camped on the bench last night, with Veleselinovic brought in after Rose's red card.  I have to infer that he is not an MDS favourite, for whatever reason.  

I think it is just rotation. Cornelius just had a stretch where he played a lot of minutes and Veleselinovic was left on the bench. Before that it was the reverse. Both players are young and need to develop, so they are sort of taking turns. Each is typically paired with a veteran (Rose or Godoy). I do not recall many instances when they both played together.

Edited by Obinna

42 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

CBs shouldn't need as much rotation as other positions.  Building a consistent chemistry with your CB partner is a huge key for success in that position. 

Part of it may also be figuring out what combinations work best. Godoy was out for a big stretch at the beginning and Veleselinovic is new to the club. Once you eventually find the best combination you want to roll with it and build consistency.

The other factor is the compacted schedule. That is reason for rotation, even for CBs who are not typically rotated as much.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Part of it may also be figuring out what combinations work best. Godoy was out for a big stretch at the beginning and Veleselinovic is new to the club. Once you eventually find the best combination you want to roll with it and build consistency.

The other factor is the compacted schedule. That is reason for rotation, even for CBs who are not typically rotated as much.

He gets forced rotation this week but my intuition is that if both Rose and Godoy were available for Saturday, they would have been the first choice pairing.  Every match is now a playoff game for MDS  and he needs to go with what he believes is his best available pairing.

14 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

He gets forced rotation this week but my intuition is that if both Rose and Godoy were available for Saturday, they would have been the first choice pairing.  Every match is now a playoff game for MDS  and he needs to go with what he believes is his best available pairing.

Could very well be. I am not sold that MDS considers Cornelius first choice. I am not even sure I consider him first choice, to be honest. If I am being unbiased I think Veleselinovic is just a touch ahead of him right now. However, I do think he can come in and do his job from the start. He has done exactly that as of late. Has played very well indeed. 

I think you are partly right. I suspect Rose-Godoy is his preference in an important game (which they all are at this stage), but it is not as if the other two are far behind. I think he has 4 adequate options with no standouts, and Vancouver badly needs a standout back there. 

Contrast that to Toronto, who have 2 CBs who are clearly ahead of the 3rd (Ciman) and 4th (Zavaletta) options. There is a clear separation and that is reflected in the differences in playing time. And if there is little to choose between your 4 options, you are going to be more tempted to rotate, which is what we have seen in Vancouver. Just another way to look at the rotation thing...

Edited by Obinna

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Could very well be. I am not sold that MDS considers Cornelius first choice. I am not even sure I consider him first choice, to be honest. If I am being unbiased I think Veleselinovic is just a touch ahead of him right now. However, I do think he can come in and do his job from the start. He has done exactly that as of late. Has played very well indeed. 

I think you are partly right. I suspect Rose-Godoy is his preference in an important game (which they all are at this stage), but it is not as if the other two are far behind. I think he has 4 adequate options with no standouts, and Vancouver badly needs a standout back there. 

Contrast that to Toronto, who have 2 CBs who are clearly ahead of the 3rd (Ciman) and 4th (Zavaletta) options. There is a clear separation and that is reflected in the differences in playing time. And if there is little to choose between your 4 options, you are going to be more tempted to rotate, which is what we have seen in Vancouver. Just another way to look at the rotation thing...

I saw some stats for all four cb's on the Whitecaps and Cornelius was third behind rose and Godoy. Veleselinovic was by far the worst. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Actually would be a good pickup for an expansion team. Kamal Miller also would be a useful peice for a new team.

I think it would be dumb of Austin not to draft him, and it would surprise a few. They’re pundits but a few of the MLS guys like him, so I think he gets taken.

Cornelius is an international for American teams, but tbh he’s a young player who could probably start and should.