Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

6 hours ago, BCM said:

Former striker shows his class. He's been pinned to the bench since the first few matches so hopefully he's earned some additional game time.

I think the fact he has not had much playing time lately has more to do with the great play of Henry and Godoy than it does about Cornelius' play. Yes, he made some early season errors, but the fact that he was even put in those situations to play out of position shows that MDS had confidence in him.

With another match coming quickly on Wednesday night, I expect Cornelius to get the start, and if Henry's injury lingers, this may lead to a run of playing time. Khmiri is expected to be back from injury soon, so Cornelius will have to prove his worth to keep his place.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I had no idea he was so young, really that is very young for a CB, so pleased to see the goal and the playing time.

Also happy to see Caps being very stingy on defence these last 6-7 games, and to see many negative results have been due to mediocre to poor reffing decisions. So good for MDS as well.

...not to mention that he switched to defence from forward about 3-4 years ago. It's a phenomenal rise, really.

• 1 month later...

He was probably one of our better players in this tournament. I noticed him way less than Henry, but for a CB that's a really good thing. He looks like an old man, so I forgot that he is still only 21 and will be around for hopefully just as long as David and Davies.

I mentioned earlier this week in another thread that they should consider him for pks, but I was shocked that he took that free kick over everyone else we had on the field.

He's good with the ball at his feet. He does simple little jukes to give himself some more space and is a good passer of the ball.

I was surprised too at him taking the free kick. He must've shown something in training I guess, but in the game his shot looked more like a goal kick unfortunately.

Very good tournament for him though. I had James ahead of him before, but I think Cornelius is ahead in my opinion now.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
42 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

Was in the 18 last night but didn't see any action. Khmiri looked awful, especially on the 2nd half goals by the Quakes.  Not sure why the Caps seem to rate him more than Cornelius.

Came very highly rated and is a unit. The defence did look ok for 20 minutes lol

Also hope Cornelius gets minutes. Wouldn't say he looks any more secure though. 

You cannot ask CBs to defend right on top of their goalie for 90 minutes and defend 23 corners. San Jose play a very Latin American style passing you to death but st some point your midfield needs to help the cause my winning the ball and keeping the ball. I put none of that on our CBs. Inbeom and Tiebert might as well have just pulled up a chair and just watched the game

I have a lot of respect for San Jose they basically play with zero defenders. They went thru about 10 corners before they even bothered to put one in to the box

Edited by SpursFlu