Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

Brandon Onkony has played the last 3 games for Hobro in the Danish Superliga. He is a 22 year old, 6'3" CB, who was born in Switzerland. According to Wikipedia he joined the Impact academy in 2015 and then played for TFC 2 for a couple years. Anyone have any idea if he would be eligible for us? Or of there is any talk of him playing for us?

Worth noting he is at basically the same level that Henry was at the same age.

46 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Brandon Onkony has played the last 3 games for Hobro in the Danish Superliga. He is a 22 year old, 6'3" CB, who was born in Switzerland. According to Wikipedia he joined the Impact academy in 2015 and then played for TFC 2 for a couple years. Anyone have any idea if he would be eligible for us? Or of there is any talk of him playing for us?

He was in Canada for 3.5 years. I don't think that's enough unless he has a Canadian ancestor

59 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

They would have both been in the Danish league at 22, but Henry had damn near 100 apperances for TFC in MLS/Vcup and Onkony has 30+ games in USL.  Still good for him, although i agree he has to have more to the CDN angle than a few years at TFC2 to be eligble for us.  He didnt seem like much at TFC2, but if he is a late bloomer Vanney et al must be kicking themselves they let him go and kept other more questionable CB's around...I am looking in your direction Eriq.   

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Shway said:

What’s do you guys think  the priority order right now for the duals?

1. Ferdi Kadiogu (CAM)
  2. Ayo Akinola (FW)
  3. Ricardo Ferierra (CB)
  4. Dominic Yankov (CM)
  5. Jonas Häkkinen (CB)
  6. Omar Marmoush (FW)
  7. Stefan Mitrovic (CAM)

This is pretty much my list but i think id have Jonas at 7, Omar at 5 and Stefan at 6

4 minutes ago, One American said:

The Bundesliga player must be #1 Unless we're factoring likelihood into the equation. 

And Ayo is nowhere near #2 for me. Seems a bit of an overreaction to a couple good games (though I really want him to join us still). Like you said though, if we’re factoring in likelihood then it makes some more sense since it’s relatively likely.

1 minute ago, One American said:

I guess there are different ways to look at it

1. Who is the best player?

2. Who are the most likely players? 

3. Who plays an area of need? 

For 1, it would be Marmoush right now. For 2, Akinola (and Mitrovic). For 3, probably Ferreira. 

While i agree with alot of this, i would argue Ferdi is producing and playing more, at a very credible level in Turkey, as compared to Marmoush who is limited in time/production at Wolfsburg. Both would be great additions though

6 hours ago, Shway said:

What’s do you guys think  the priority order right now for the duals?

1. Ferdi Kadiogu (CAM)
  2. Ayo Akinola (FW)
  3. Ricardo Ferierra (CB)
  4. Dominic Yankov (CM)
  5. Jonas Häkkinen (CB)
  6. Omar Marmoush (FW)
  7. Stefan Mitrovic (CAM)

I’d say 

1. Ferdi 

2. Marmoush

3. Ferreira

4. Akinola

5. Yankov

6. Hakkinen

Mitrovic is already on record saying he will play for Canada and I expect we will see that in the not too distant future.

Ferdi and Marmoush are playing in the best leagues at this point, on good clubs and getting a decent amount of playing time. Ferreira is a definite improvement on any of our current CB’s, but is injury prone. Akinola did well in the tournament but still needs to show more and who knows how much he will play with Altidore being healthy. If he continues to play well, he will go up my list. Yankov is one for the future,  it might be worth a call up during the qualifiers against minnows to get him cap tied to us. I’m not sure Hakkinen is an upgrade over the current glut of similar CBs we already have.

Just my .02 cents.

27 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

I’d say 

1. Ferdi 

2. Marmoush

3. Ferreira

4. Akinola

5. Yankov

6. Hakkinen

Mitrovic is already on record saying he will play for Canada and I expect we will see that in the not too distant future.

Ferdi and Marmoush are playing in the best leagues at this point, on good clubs and getting a decent amount of playing time. Ferreira is a definite improvement on any of our current CB’s, but is injury prone. Akinola did well in the tournament but still needs to show more and who knows how much he will play with Altidore being healthy. If he continues to play well, he will go up my list. Yankov is one for the future,  it might be worth a call up during the qualifiers against minnows to get him cap tied to us. I’m not sure Hakkinen is an upgrade over the current glut of similar CBs we already have.

Just my .02 cents.

That would be my order as well

I'd love to see Odunze switch to Canada. He has the potential to have a much greater impact on the CMNT compared to Yankov or Hakkinen, who will probably be no more than depth pieces.

If found this article on a US soccer site from a few months ago. Not sure if it has been posted before on the forum.

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/after-a-long-youth-journey-odunze-progressing-at-leicester-city

55 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I'd love to see Odunze switch to Canada. He has the potential to have a much greater impact on the CMNT compared to Yankov or Hakkinen, who will probably be no more than depth pieces.

If found this article on a US soccer site from a few months ago. Not sure if it has been posted before on the forum.

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/after-a-long-youth-journey-odunze-progressing-at-leicester-city

We seem to have a glut of keepers around 20 years old. Is he better than Breza, Desjardins or Hasal? 

1 hour ago, Strait Red said:

Is he better than Breza, Desjardins or Hasal? 

I don't know but he's 17 at this time while the other three are 22, 20 and 21, so a direct comparison could be misleading.

A decade ago we had Street, Stillo, Santiago and a few other highly rated GK prospects in the same age group and none developed into a senior level keeper so I'm not going to get too excited about the current pool until one or more really establish themselves as starters.

Odunze is a very highly rated prospect with great potential. He has been at or near the top of the US goalkeeper pool, for his age group, the last couple of years and they always have a lot of depth in that position. I'd rather have a blue chip GK prospect over another potential depth piece in midfield.

30 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I don't know but he's 17 at this time while the other three are 22, 20 and 21, so a direct comparison could be misleading.

A decade ago we had Street, Stillo, Santiago and a few other highly rated GK prospects in the same age group and none developed into a senior level keeper so I'm not going to get too excited about the current pool until one or more really establish themselves as starters.

Odunze is a very highly rated prospect with great potential. He has been at or near the top of the US goalkeeper pool, for his age group, the last couple of years and they always have a lot of depth in that position. I'd rather have a blue chip GK prospect over another potential depth piece in midfield.

Odunze would be a good addition and I agree that having such a keeper in the system would be beneficial.  As he is very young, not sure where he goes on the list.  Also, there is that Mexican-Canadian kid that went from Ipswich to Arsenal more than a year ago I believe but haven't heard much about him lately.  Ipswich had him marked down as potential star.

3 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

Is he even eligible to play for us?

He will, just what I was thinking after watching the most recent game buddy @Ansem, hahahaha!!!.. Particularly, to those kids who have heavy ties to Canada but have been involved with other national teams at the youth level! 😉.... Definitely helped myself (as a supporter of the CANMNT that is) and this was before he even broke out to the big scene!!!!.. Certainly, if I was under the shoes of a lot of these players, it would impact me to jump ship to CANMNT as likely I would've played youth fútbol with another nation!!!.. Davies + David, are just gonna make this impact to help recruit a lot of these players, trust me!!!.. if David leaves off where he has for Gent, forget it 2 bona fide players in national team , should no longer be excuse/barrier to join in, particularly for all those Canadian-born/raised & developed as I said!

In terms of Odunze, I'm pretty certain (99 %) he is eligible for us, one of my mates who is a great source and have heavy contacts connected with these players mentioned that among our young GKs, he prolly has more potential than Breza, but acknowledge that Breza is a good one to watch out for! At the same time, it may be trickier for Odunze to make the switch compared to Akinola, given his eligibility for 4 different countries!!!... That is what I was informed, hope this info helps guys! 

• Dominic94 changed the title to Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars