Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

He also posted this right before that tweet you posted above.

https://x.com/canmntbible/status/1729330453193085279?s=46&t=tKRu86Vea8ViJ1G0Nj6cIA

and this

https://x.com/canmntbible/status/1729330935030480951?s=46&t=tKRu86Vea8ViJ1G0Nj6cIA

Which had me thinking it was Cedric Toussaint committing to Haiti that he was talking about.  But with him seemingly leaving it as a cliff hanger makes me think it has to be someone else.  Or not very well thought out cliff hanger.  

24 minutes ago, Corazon said:

He also posted this right before that tweet you posted above.

https://x.com/canmntbible/status/1729330453193085279?s=46&t=tKRu86Vea8ViJ1G0Nj6cIA

and this

https://x.com/canmntbible/status/1729330935030480951?s=46&t=tKRu86Vea8ViJ1G0Nj6cIA

Which had me thinking it was Cedric Toussaint committing to Haiti that he was talking about.  But with him seemingly leaving it as a cliff hanger makes me think it has to be someone else.  Or not very well thought out cliff hanger.  

Yeah, I saw that too and thought maybe it’s it, but he posted that earlier. I know a lot of the CANMNT twitter guys are a lot higher on CPL players than we are, so fingers crossed if this isn’t about Toussaint, it’s about another player along those lines. 

If this is about Toussaint it would be another case of the CPL developing players for other nations. Can't fault any of these guys but it is concerning if we are losing guys in the 21-23 year old range. This is why it is critical to play more friendlies, both youth and senior, so that guys remain in the funnel.

To be honest I had to look this guy up as I didn't even know about him (and I have watched Cavalry play Pacific multiple times last season), so I cannot speak to whether or not he'd specifically be a loss, or how close/far he would be to a camp poutine let's say, but the point remains: If we don't even have camp poutine we are not giving players like this another option to begin with, never mind the question of whether they are good enough. 

Camp poutine needs to be something that happens every year. I know finances are tight but we need to prioritize this and get creative if needed. Like, I get that training and playing in Florida or Califorina in January must be lovely, but how much more expensive is that versus going to Vancouver Island and training at the Pacific facilities, or somewhere on the lower mainland? Maybe there are negligible cost savings there - but if you have a squad with 4-5 whitecaps guys, a handful of pacific guys, that's a 3rd of the selection that's basically local.

I dunno, cost savings dictating player selection is kind of crazy, so maybe I am full of it and that's a ridiculous suggestion, but as a fan I would rather have a makeshift Canada team train and play in rainy BC over winter versus not having a camp at all - which is too often the case. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

https://x.com/canmntbible/status/1729332983520264538?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q
canmnt bible guy saying some bad news apparently about a dual national, but tweeted after that there’s some good news attached to it? No clue what this is referencing. I know Jamaica is making a big dual nationals push, so I wonder if Jebbison, who I think is eligible, decided to play for them or something. 

No idea how legit this guy’s sources are, but he posts a lot about the team, so maybe something to keep an eye on 

This fellow, Evan, from Canmnt bible, is not very clear in his posts. Is the bad news Toussaint  opting to play for Haiti (seems like it) and Diallo who will/may play for Canada?? Or, is there another player in play? 

I'd love a world where we run multiple camp pountines. Each camp would just be local guys so they'd be responsible for getting to the camp, lodging, food etc. You could even extend some invites to further away places but let the guys know they are responsible for the costs. A guy like carducci or ntignee may want to showcase themselves and make the trip to vancouver. 

Basically a vancouver camp, toronto camp and maybe you could do a montreal camp - young MLS guys (and mls vets if they are interested) and CPL guys. 

vancouver camp poutine roster:
-adekugbe, laryea, hoilett, Yao, ali, raposo, habibula, campagna, johnson, Gauld?, coupland, amanda, simmons, young didic, chung, irving, Tahid, cameron, 

Theres some major logistical challenges and its a bit offensive to not pay for the players, but how else do we get a guy like tahid and raposo around the national team. 

Just now, Bigandy said:

I assume diallo from inter milan. Hes a youth player (striker) whos trained with their first team. As of right now, I dont think he has any connection to any CMNT youth teams but I guess no one does since we never hold camps. 

Right, yeah I just saw. There’s another case of a player not performing super well with the youth team and training with the main team. Don’t think it means much. It does look like he is getting plenty of time with Inter’s Primavera team though. 

44 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I'd love a world where we run multiple camp pountines. Each camp would just be local guys so they'd be responsible for getting to the camp, lodging, food etc. You could even extend some invites to further away places but let the guys know they are responsible for the costs. A guy like carducci or ntignee may want to showcase themselves and make the trip to vancouver. 

Basically a vancouver camp, toronto camp and maybe you could do a montreal camp - young MLS guys (and mls vets if they are interested) and CPL guys. 

vancouver camp poutine roster:
-adekugbe, laryea, hoilett, Yao, ali, raposo, habibula, campagna, johnson, Gauld?, coupland, amanda, simmons, young didic, chung, irving, Tahid, cameron, 

Theres some major logistical challenges and its a bit offensive to not pay for the players, but how else do we get a guy like tahid and raposo around the national team. 

I like everything about this aside from guys being responsible for getting to camp, for their lodging and food, etc. What I am for is doing it on a budget cheaply and smartly, but that would be too far. Regional domestic camps would cut down on the travel though where it's like club ball and you drive to training and then home again. If that's what you meant when you said guys would be responsible for getting to camp I see no problem and really that should cut down on the expenses significantly. These could skew young and double (kinda) as youth camps, with the advantage of getting young guys accostomed to the principals of play used in the full national team. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I like everything about this aside from guys being responsible for getting to camp, for their lodging and food, etc. What I am for is doing it on a budget cheaply and smartly, but that would be too far. Regional domestic camps would cut down on the travel though where it's like club ball and you drive to training and then home again. If that's what you meant when you said guys would be responsible for getting to camp I see no problem and really that should cut down on the expenses significantly. These could skew young and double (kinda) as youth camps, with the advantage of getting young guys accostomed to the principals of play used in the full national team. 

Thats exactly what would end up happening. A youth/B team hybrid. The way I look at it is we have to pay for the coaches lodging, field rental and thats it. Its an optional invite for alot of these guys and they would pay their own way. It is offensive and sucks but imagine a guy like waterman who believes he should be on CMNT. He'd probably love a chance to show off with the coaching staff. Im sure these types of guys would understand that they pay their own way or theres no camp. 

In reality, I know this would never happen but I would love a way to make camps happen even without a CSA budget. 

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

If this is about Toussaint it would be another case of the CPL developing players for other nations. Can't fault any of these guys but it is concerning if we are losing guys in the 21-23 year old range. This is why it is critical to play more friendlies, both youth and senior, so that guys remain in the funnel.

To be honest I had to look this guy up as I didn't even know about him (and I have watched Cavalry play Pacific multiple times last season), so I cannot speak to whether or not he'd specifically be a loss, or how close/far he would be to a camp poutine let's say, but the point remains: If we don't even have camp poutine we are not giving players like this another option to begin with, never mind the question of whether they are good enough. 

Camp poutine needs to be something that happens every year. I know finances are tight but we need to prioritize this and get creative if needed. Like, I get that training and playing in Florida or Califorina in January must be lovely, but how much more expensive is that versus going to Vancouver Island and training at the Pacific facilities, or somewhere on the lower mainland? Maybe there are negligible cost savings there - but if you have a squad with 4-5 whitecaps guys, a handful of pacific guys, that's a 3rd of the selection that's basically local.

I dunno, cost savings dictating player selection is kind of crazy, so maybe I am full of it and that's a ridiculous suggestion, but as a fan I would rather have a makeshift Canada team train and play in rainy BC over winter versus not having a camp at all - which is too often the case. 

In fairness I think this is a common case because we're also in a world now where there's guys in the same age range as someone like Toussaint who are in MLS and that's going to continue being the case.

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

In fairness I think this is a common case because we're also in a world now where there's guys in the same age range as someone like Toussaint who are in MLS and that's going to continue being the case.

No doubt. Doesn't make it a good thing however. Just shrinks our player pool which last time I checked wasn't very deep, especially in midfield.

On 11/23/2023 at 9:15 AM, Onelessstar said:

New article in The Athletic mentions that Vaughn Colvil (Hull City) has a Canadian mom. He is currently a US U23 player. 

U.S. and British says:

https://euro.eseuro.com/trends/amp/1573492

( @Onelessstar , can you copy+paste or screenshot just the relevant sentence that says his mum is Canadian from the Athletic article? I wonder how the text compares to the one above)

Interesting that his cousin is:

https://canadasoccer.com/profile/?id=7002&teamId=2088

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

"Plus you don't even really need a striker"

Bro, I will take Jebbison with arms wide open. Cavallini is basically done, Akinola fell off, plus Ugbo is mediocre in the Championship right now and cannot get a call up. Jebbison is younger than JRR and with a Premier League team. He'd be a clear number 3 and would have been an upgrade on JRR in Nations League, had he been fit of course.

Either way, would be nice if a new coach came in for March and called up Jebbo for his first camp. 

Edited by Obinna

I am definitely in the “oh hell yeah” camp when it comes to Jebbo.   Assuming he gets back to 100% fitness he would be a huge addition to our player pool.  Having a player that immediately jumps to 3rd in the depth chart (in a position where 2 are often on the field) would be a big step forward.   And given his age and trajectory, he could easily be in the mix for a starting role in the future.  

13 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

( @Onelessstar , can you copy+paste or screenshot just the relevant sentence that says his mum is Canadian from the Athletic article? 

“Mum is from Toronto and she moved to Los Angeles to go to law school,” he explains. “My dad’s English and he was living there when they met.

23 minutes ago, Onelessstar said:

“Mum is from Toronto and she moved to Los Angeles to go to law school,” he explains. “My dad’s English and he was living there when they met.

Thanks! :)

Edit: Given his level, I feel like he should have his own thread. @Onelessstar , would you do the honours?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille